Ring Doorbell Help

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has had issue with Netgear XR500 and ring doorbell 2, i can set up everything individually Chime Pro, doorbell 2, but when i try to link chime pro and doorbell 2 through the app it wont do it see attached.  I am trying to connect to a chime Pro even though it says get one.  I have had two Chime Pro replacements from ring and still the same.  they have gone through all the procedures and nothing.  Ring only use 2.4GHz so cant change frequency and most ring devices will only work on Channel 6 so thats all ok. im stumped  any help guys, all devices and router is using latest firmware and like i said if i set them up individually not linked to chime pro the doorbell works but signal very weak thats why i need Chime Pro wifi extender.  TIA

Ring.jpg

• Netduma Staff

So just to clarify (since I've never personally used one of these gadgets before) this doorbell only works over WiFi on the 2.4GHz band? If you move it closer to the router are you able to connect it at all? Definitely try to rule out range as a cause first since that's the first suggestion the chime interface is giving you - it seems like the most obvious cause.

If it's not connecting, do you see it on the Device Manager? Make sure it's not automatically connected to your Modem or anything like that. If you do see it on the Device Manager then in theory it is getting Internet access, so there's potentially a deeper reason for the error.

You say it only works with channel 6 - have you got that channel selected on the XR500? Another thing I'd check is whether the doorbell needs any specific ports opened - you might have to manually port forward those if UPnP hasn't detected it correctly.

Firstly yes got it sitting on top of the router lol and the chime pro in plugged just 3 foot away, I have moved it round to different areas close to the router and still the same. The idea is you connect the chime pro to ur network and then link the doorbell to the chime pro as it’s a WiFi extender.  Yes got channel on 6 never changed it since I got the bell roughly 6 months ago been great up to last week when the chime pro stopped working.  They sent a replacement nothing and now this is second replacement.  Not sure about port forwarding as when u link the bell to the chime pro the router only sees the chime pro in  device manager which is there.  If I set the doorbell to my WiFi bypassing the chime pro it sees it perfect but as the WiFi is poor on this device once I move it to front door the signal is not brill and then causes problems as I get lag delay on notifications and the bell.  They only thing I haven’t tried is changing my router back to my old one but I wouldn’t of thought that this was an issue as every device I have has found the new router perfect and the chime pro dies and it even says when setting up it finds my bell but then comes up with the above pic details 

• Administrators

Ok - if that doesn’t work then could you try connecting it to your guest network please. 

And if there’s still no luck I recommend you contact Netgear support as it will be a wireless/hardware issue. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Hammy said:

Hi

Make sure that your router is not on channel 13 only 11 or less.

Ring does not support above 11, I had the same issue and found the router on auto, soon as I brought it down to 11 all connected and worked fine.

Hammy

Great find! Thanks Hammy

On 9/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, Hammy said:

Hi

Make sure that your router is not on channel 13 only 11 or less.

Ring does not support above 11, I had the same issue and found the router on auto, soon as I brought it down to 11 all connected and worked fine.

Hammy

Cheers hammy but router is on channel 6

• 5 weeks later...

I found that when I used my N1 router the ring needed a weekly charge, since I went back to my virgin router it’s lasted 3 months lol. 

Im gonna give Duma OS a try later, I’m guessing something in the settings forces the ring to keep reconnecting to Wi-fi which drains the battery? 

• Administrators

I'm not sure - it's unlikely to be anything in DumaOS specifically as the XR500 lower level settings (e.g. Wireless) are all handled by NETGEAR.

See how you get on after plugging the XR500 back in. Worst case, and I realise this is not ideal, is you could keep the doorbells connected to your Virgin router, and connect everything else to your XR500. They won't use any material bandwidth so it shouldn't impact the quality of your connection.