Bt vs sky broadband

zqa20

Bt has decided to bump up their prices giving me a 30 day window to leave my contract without incurring any fees.

BT are offering their fastest broadband package, line rental and unlimited any time calls for £54

Sky have offered their fastest broadband package, line rental and unlimited any time calls for £38

What are your guys experience with BT and sky broadband? I've always been with BT and not had any issues but is the extra £18 per month worth it? 

Was with BT for 4yrs prices getting bumped up for loyal customers when i mentioned this all they offered me was a new crappy router and five quid off a month. Bolted and went to talk talk for a 2 yr contract 22 quid a month saving same speeds no meddling. 

I did the same and switched to talktalk. Avoid sky as you will be stuck with their bog ass crappy router as they will not give you your broadband login details to use your own equipment. I have no complaints what-so-ever with talktalk and not once have I had a fault.

I had unexpected price hikes dropped on me with Virgin Media so I moved to BT back in September 2016. Lately I've been having issues and my contract is going to expire in April of next year and I've been thinking about switching to Plusnet or TalkTalk (cheaper for 80/20 than I'm paying for 55/10) so I need some advice with my options.

Eventually BT will bump my monthly fee right up - inevitably £50+ a month - and they're currently offering for me to switch to 80/20 for an extra £3.50 a month. That's not too bad all things considered but Plusnet are doing the same for £28 a month, and over at TalkTalk it's £30.50. Upgrading with BT would be easier as it's just a matter of being sent out another contract, and there'll be a price freeze in place for 18 months. Also I'm hoping that whatever causing issues with gaming (big time UDP lag masked by low pings) will be sorted by, assuming I have a basic grasp on how this works, switching me to a different line/profile, and then all I could do is wait and hope. Or I can cut my losses and switch, but I think I might have to pay over £300 to move as I'm 9 months into an 18 month contract. Here's where I need some help...

BT mentions a "minimum period" but I'm not certain on what they mean because of their wording. This is my second BT contract, as I was with them for 12 months from September 2016 to 2017, before moving on to an 18 month contract. Does the minimum period apply to just the first year, or does it apply again to every contract to follow? In other words, are you stuck for the ENTIRETY of each contract? Or maybe it's the first 12 months regardless, so if you're on an 18 monther you have a bit of freedom earlier on? If someone can clear this up I'll be more sure of what to do, because I want to pick an option asaply lol

I've ruled out Sky for the same reason as BD mentioned, but also because it's as expensive as BT. Any switch should be nice and easy as it's just a matter of calling the new ISP and having them switch, because of course I don't need anything installed. I just need someone to clear up exactly what they mean by minimum period because a Google search did nothing for me, and curiously BT Care on Twitter couldn't tell me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ thoughts lads? Cheers.

It is the period of the new contract so 18 months from the start of that.

You would have to pay to get out unless in the email says that with the price hike you can get out of your contract.

They usually give a get out of jail free with price hikes but you have to act quick if they offer it.

Thanks a lot for the clarification Z; I feared that would be the case. Of course ISPs would offer the worse case scenario to get out lol

I guess I could just try to persevere until March and then give Plusnet/TalkTalk a bell and switch over in the last month. At least I assume you'd need to line it up beforehand to avoid either paying extra or getting disconnected. AFAIK the earliest you can be switched over is 10-14 days later. That sucks but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess that's standard practice after offering current customers an "offer" then lol

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad to hear that because I don't want to wait another 9 months of paying over the odds for less than I could get on another ISP, with freebie bonus problems thrown in :D