XR500 Firmware Version 2.3.2.18 (RELEASED)

anyone else notice immediately after doing a full reset (setup router from scratch) that you get your FULL reported modem speeds ?

that is... until you start entering all your settings again..... ?

This relates to another post i started about the router robbing us of 12mb/sec download ....  http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24867-xr500-robbing-modem-of-12mbps/?do=findComment&comment=180310

after updating and resetting, the XR reported 74mbps download and 14mbps upload ! exactly what my modem stats show!!

but after populating the XR500 with all my settings (again!) it drops the speeds back down to 62mpbs and 10mbps !!

why does this router "struggle" with a PPPoE broadband authentication login ?

Guest Killhippie

so...whats the point in having the backup and restore settings option...if it doesnt work...?

Its there for use on the same firmware in case you need to reset maybe but not update, when new firmware is released settings change, simply the backup may not be compatible with the new firmware due to it having certain settings and underlying changes that are no longer in the latest version.

Guest Killhippie

anyone else notice immediately after doing a full reset (setup router from scratch) that you get your FULL reported modem speeds ?

that is... until you start entering all your settings again..... ?

This relates to another post i started about the router robbing us of 12mb/sec download ....  http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24867-xr500-robbing-modem-of-12mbps/?do=findComment&comment=180310

after updating and resetting, the XR reported 74mbps download and 14mbps upload ! exactly what my modem stats show!!

but after populating the XR500 with all my settings (again!) it drops the speeds back down to 62mpbs and 10mbps !!

why does this router "struggle" with a PPPoE broadband authentication login ?

When it does a speedtest it does not have Anti-bufferbloat enabled. I have mine set to only come on when it detects high priority traffic and I get the same transmission rate though my router as I do when it does the speed test that way, the only time that changes is when anti-bufferbloat kicks in when gaming as its high priority traffic, or if  I change the setting to always on. You are going to lose some download and upload as that's what anti-bufferbloat does, hence I only use it when I need it. It all depends also on what you have your sliders set to of course.

When it does a speedtest it does not have Anti-bufferbloat enabled. I have mine set to only come on when it detects high priority traffic and I get the same transmission rate though my router as I do when it does the speed test that way, the only time that changes is when anti-bufferbloat kicks in when gaming as its high priority traffic, or if  I change the setting to always on. You are going to lose some download and upload as that's what anti-bufferbloat does, hence I only use it when I need it. It all depends also on what you have your sliders set to of course.

i had Anti-bufferbloat disabled for all tests....

so...whats the point in having the backup and restore settings option...if it doesnt work...?

The backup settings are meant to be used on a router with the firmware it was on when the backup was created. The backup saves the current configuration at the point of saving, but if a new firmware is released and it modifies, changes or removes settings or features then the backup is redundant. If the backup just saved ip address assigements, ssid and password then that is all well and good, but they do not unfortunately.

after new update, noticed that it now takes the High traffic Priority Traffic LED 10 minutes to extinguish after leaving a game.

pre-update, this only took 30 seconds.... ?

traffic_light.jpg

The backup settings are meant to be used on a router with the firmware it was on when the backup was created. The backup saves the current configuration at the point of saving, but if a new firmware is released and it modifies, changes or removes settings or features then the backup is redundant. If the backup just saved ip address assigements, ssid and password then that is all well and good, but they do not unfortunately.

if that were the case, you would have thought Netgear would have included that info somewhere on the same screen as the "backup settings button" is on....?

if that were the case, you would have thought Netgear would have included that info somewhere on the same screen as the "backup settings button" is on....?

this is a router thing in general, not specific to netgear or dumaOS. 

The traffic led on mine is the same but glows red when active.

Upnp definitely broken. Reset through gui and reset button. Rolled back firmware, now working again. Pull new firmware off website and do a little quality control next time.

yep, UPnP broken, nothing appearing in list... ? well done Netgear !

(tested with every single one of my home devices switched on and connected)

upnp.jpg

this is a router thing in general, not specific to netgear or dumaOS. 

The traffic led on mine is the same but glows red when active.

erm... i know it glows red when active ?? my point is , after the new update it now takes 10 minutes to extinguish when it used to only take 30 seconds, once there is no priority traffic taking place ....?

clearly the processing power of this router is now being "stretched" by the latest "so-called" updates...?

yep, UPnP broken, nothing appearing in list... ? well done Netgear !

(tested with every single one of my home devices switched on and connected)

upnp.jpg

I have posted a support thread on this, hopefully will get a response regarding it today........Having said that, It may be asthetic as doing console tests show an open nat on both ps4 and xbox, but it definitely needs sorting!

erm... i know it glows red when active ?? my point is , after the new update it now takes 10 minutes to extinguish when it used to only take 30 seconds, once there is no priority traffic taking place ....?

to be honest, I never look at it while gaming as I know my qos is set to when active as I game on the same monitor I have for my pc, it does seem to be another bug!!!

Guest Killhippie

clearly the processing power of this router is now being "stretched" by the latest "so-called" updates...?

Mine goes back straight away. I have sat and done a Speedtest and as soon as I log out of my game I get full speed again. The red light goes out for me as it should. Edit; just checked mine again and it comes on when I fire up my PS4 and launch into destiny and goes off as soon as I log out of my game and close my PS4 down to standby, just as it always has.

Mine goes back straight away. I have sat and done a Speedtest and as soon as I log out of my game I get full speed again. The red light goes out for me as it should. Edit; just checked mine again and it comes on when I fire up my PS4 and launch into destiny and goes off as soon as I log out of my game and close my PS4 down to standby, just as it always has.

weird! i timed mine with a stopwatch, def always over 6 mins each time.  might reboot again just to see if it rectifies itself....

Guest Killhippie

weird! i timed mine with a stopwatch, def always over 6 mins each time.  might reboot again just to see if it rectifies itself....

Try turning your router off for about ten minutes pull the power, then power it up and leave it for 5 before turning things back on, that's the only thing I did differently yesterday from you I can see from looking back on what you posted. Mine definitely turns off straight away. Weird indeed.Have you got any other devices that are being picked up as a gaming console/PC? Just wondering if something else may be causing that issue. I know my blu-ray player was registered as a PlayStation for some reason and if I use PSN messenger on my iPad it thinks that is a PlayStation so I was wondering if anything like that may be happening with your set up? Hope you get it sorted out.

• Administrators

I am unable to deny dedicated servers still. Thought that was part of this update.

EDIT: I can only deny some servers.

Being able to deny some doesn't make sense, can you provide a screenshot of the ones you cant deny please

i had Anti-bufferbloat disabled for all tests....

Is bandwidth numbers given the same as your speeds or lower? Is good put enabled?

after new update, noticed that it now takes the High traffic Priority Traffic LED 10 minutes to extinguish after leaving a game.

pre-update, this only took 30 seconds.... ?

traffic_light.jpg

What are you playing console/PC? If console when it goes to standby, it may make intermittent internet requests which may get prioritized, same with PC and steam if it still runs.

Try turning your router off for about ten minutes pull the power, then power it up and leave it for 5 before turning things back on, that's the only thing I did differently yesterday from you I can see from looking back on what you posted. Mine definitely turns off straight away. Weird indeed.Have you got any other devices that are being picked up as a gaming console/PC? Just wondering if something else may be causing that issue. I know my blu-ray player was registered as a PlayStation for some reason and if I use PSN messenger on my iPad it thinks that is a PlayStation so I was wondering if anything like that may be happening with your set up? Hope you get it sorted out.

nope, i only have one device setup , my Pc gaming Rig. noticed it takes almost 30 seconds to detect and lights up the traffic led on the router,

and def over 6 minutes for it to go out, after i exit any game.... weird glitch. 

Also dedicated server ban

Is that all this firmware gives us? My PS4 is still named as an Xbox(when selecting the games console option) in packet prioritization. What happened to the fix for the dashboard dedicated server auto ping you said would be out with this update? What about the other changes you said would be implemented? Netgear doesn't give a list of changes. Will you please post a complete list of noticeable changes with this new firmware? Thank you

• Administrators

Is that all this firmware gives us? My PS4 is still named as an Xbox(when selecting the games console option) in packet prioritization. What happened to the fix for the dashboard dedicated server auto ping you said would be out with this update? What about the other changes you said would be implemented? Netgear doesn't give a list of changes. Will you please post a complete list of noticeable changes with this new firmware? Thank you

As Hippie mentioned: Sorted out a few bugs, added zoom level on Geo Filter and Firewall is now True stealth too, also faster to boot up and supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN, dedicated server ban.

The prioritization games console xbox issue is just a typo, it works just the same for PS4. Also no need to add console manually as it's covered by DumaOS Classified Games. So its not a high priority. It's not a fix as it's working by design, but that feature is coming. We're working on Hybrid VPN at the moment. What other changes are you referring to?

There are 2 different development teams, 2 different SQA teams working on one router in different time zones. There is a lot of back and forth and is a lengthy process. 

As Hippie mentioned: Sorted out a few bugs, added zoom level on Geo Filter and Firewall is now True stealth too, also faster to boot up and supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN, dedicated server ban.

The prioritization games console xbox issue is just a typo, it works just the same for PS4. Also no need to add console manually as it's covered by DumaOS Classified Games. So its not a high priority. It's not a fix as it's working by design, but that feature is coming. We're working on Hybrid VPN at the moment. What other changes are you referring to?

There are 2 different development teams, 2 different SQA teams working on one router in different time zones. There is a lot of back and forth and is a lengthy process.

Was there any changes to IPv6? Last I heard there were issues and it was still being worked on. I remember you said

IPv6 changes would appear in the next firmware.

• Administrators

Was there any changes to IPv6? Last I heard there were issues and it was still being worked on. I remember you said

IPv6 changes would appear in the next firmware.

I'm unaware if so, do not usually get change log from Netgears side as I'm not a developer.

--

Updated original post with more information.

• Administrators

After update i get constant message: Uncaught unmatched device and the DUMA OS stays half loaded. I have rebooted and nothing helps

Rename device in device manager to what it was called on Geo-Filter or reconnect device. Otherwise factory reset and will be resolved.