Will the Netduma work for me?

nogard13

I'm serious.  I haven't played AW in at least 4-5 months (maybe since January!) and am exclusively playing BO2.  The issue I have is that I only play Kill Confirmed and, usually, there are only 300-600 players in that game type at any given time.  Even when there are 100K playing the game on the weekends, there are only maybe 1100 playing in KC.

My question is, with that few people playing the game mode, will the Netduma help?  I feel like I will have a lobby like I do now, where I have a 4-bar connection and 2-3 others in the lobby do as well (probably the host and some others), but most of the lobby is on a 2/3-bar and it makes the game almost unplayable.

I was blaming it on SBMM for a while, but I think that the Netduma might not be able to help because, even if I find a good host (say a 20ms PING from me), the other players might be 150-175ms PING from the host and then my PA and GF would be for naught.

Am I overthinking this?

Edit: my internet connection is roughly 30Mb/5Mb, but it will be upgraded next week to 200Mb/20Mb.

I think it will. Maybe not all the time (curse you dedicated servers!) but the majority of the time. I play HC Search and I usually have no problems getting games. Just played and averaged close to 2.0 kdr for the night and I'm a 1.09 kdr player.

I say a resounding yes! Trust me, you'll love it here. The forum, the support and the people. Second to none.

• Netduma Staff

I agree with Cranium - I think it should help you :) It should definitely get you low ping games to hosts. It doesn't matter too much if you get players with high ping connecting from outside of the lobby as the only thing that will really affect your game is your ping to the host :)

definitely will make game play better we all no the problems with the game that cant be fixed . for me though before the duma every game would make me rage quit .now with the netduma  I rage quit once every 20 games its so much better hit detection spot on still get the odd bad 1 but I put that down to meeting a fellow duma player lol

I look at it like this I have a 20 ms to the host and the 3 bar has over 100ms to kill the 100ms player it takes me longer then a closer player to kill as my info has to reach the host 20ms  then to the player 100ms  then back to the host 100ms then back to me 20

But on the flip side the high ping player who shots me also has this journey. so it take him just as long.

The Netduma has tightened all the games i play mw mw2 bops 1& 2 ghosts.

I went ahead and ordered my Duma.  It arrived today, just in time for me to put it on my kitchen table and leave for work.  I'll install it tomorrow morning and give it a go.  BTW, here's how I plan on installing it:

1435273560-U2502.png

I'm keeping my router as a router, not an access point.  The reason I'm doing it this way is because I can still use the Anti-Flood and Geofilters, but I treat my entire home network as one device as far as Prioritisation and Anti-Flood goes.  I'm fine with that because I can limit my home network to, say, 75% bandwidth and always have that 25% space just for gaming.  And, there are no special computers/equipment which I'd want to treat any differently than the rest (except my console), so there is no need to see them individually in the Duma.  They will also remain on their 10.10.10.0/24 subnet (I have quite a few static devices and I don't want to mess with them).

Thanks for purchasing nogard! That setup will be great. Shame you had to go to work before being able to play with your new toy :(

No kidding!

I did get it connected today and the games were awesome.  However, I was having an issue where the second router wasn't showing up in the Netduma's DHCP table.  I could log into it if I changed my network back to my old home one and see it had an IP assigned (192.168.88.188), but I couldn't ping it if I tried to do it from my laptop while wired into the Netduma.  I was a bit frustrated, to say the least, but I figured it out quite quickly.

After a little searching, and switching back to my old network, I found that I was cloning my laptop's MAC Address on the old router's WAN port (DOH!).  I disabled MAC cloning and released/renewed my DHCP lease.  Presto!  I could now see it listed in the DHCP table on the Netduma.

For the rest of you out there, who might not be Network Engineers for a living, the Netduma was seeing two devices with the same MAC address.  It's kind of like if you're out with two friends named Bob and someone hands you a letter and says "Here, give this to Bob."   Who do you hand it to?  You'd be confused (like my Duma was).

So, yeah, I wasted 5 minutes of my life because I forgot that I had cloned my laptop's MAC on my router's WAN port.  :D

Archived