Which is better ? XR500 or R9000 ?

• Administrators

As above the R9000 does not have DumaOS so has the standard Netgear software. If you're looking for the best online gaming experience then the XR500 is the router for you as it has all the tools available to give you the lowest possible ping.

if you would like to optimize gaming experience and control your home network throughput = xr500; just note that xr500 using 20-30% of CPU while loaded, i am not sure if you need more processing power, it is adequate for 1Gbps

if you need fastest router and you are interested in 60ghz band = x10 would be your choice probably.

if x10 it is difficult to find 60ghz devices though.... so that router might be useless

https://kb.netgear.com/000036452/Why-can-t-I-see-or-connect-to-my-R9000-router-s-60-GHz-WiFi-network

• 2.4GHz: 70m (indoor), 250m (outdoor)
  • 5GHz: 35m (indoor)
  • 60Ghz: 15m (RF Beamforming, indoor) - might be stopped by any wall, you can use it withing single room.

I love Netgear and their products but the R9000 is practically dead..AD is a dead technology so don't expect any hardware devices to support AD.

Go with the XR500..I had the same issue when i was trying to decide to buy it and I am glad that I did..awesome router!

wireless AD is pointless, i had that router for a short while, netgears admin page leaves much to be desired (sucks pretty bad) and 5G range wasn't any better then the xr500 even with its active antennas.  The router is also larger and very heavy

• Administrators

What about the quad core processor does that make much of a difference ? Or is dual core enough in the xr500 ?

The XR500 can handle QoS at gigabit speed without breaking a sweat so it's more than enough.

What about the quad core processor does that make much of a difference ? Or is dual core enough in the xr500 ?

What are planning on doing with the router that requires a quad core processor

As far as the R9000 with custom firmware I'd take that all day over what we curencurr have with the XR500.  You can get the Cake QoS queing discipline on the R9000 via custom firmware which trump's what we currently have here and is really the end game for QoS.

As far as DumaOS the idea is nice - esssessenti simplifying the QoS process for the average network illiterate gamer.  However there are better alternatives if you're willing to learn.

Until these weird issues with how DPI interacts with DSLreports speed test its incredibly difficult to know exactly how dialed in we are with the XR500 severally limiting it's main appeal.

Time will tell if they actually address it.  I feel like the biggest issue with the XR500 is Netgear's politics of being such a large company.  Because of this we're getting few and far between updates, nixed features.

It's only a matter of time before Netgear "pulls the cord" and says "we're trying to market our next iteration of gaming router and we're no longer going to support the XR500." Effectively rendering the router a brick as Netduma will no longer be able to update it.

Corporate 101 - gotta love it