DON'T Buy another router to "throttle" your R1 for COD lag comp

KAC1023

I believe it's mostly your upload speed that effects the quality of the game. I have throttled down to 10mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up at the moment with no complaints. However I have noticed in game that the players I seem to lose one on one battles with over and over have a 2 or 3 bar ping when I am at 4. I had 5 great games in a row tonight but this one guy with a 2 bar ping got me 85 percecnt of the time. Anyone else notice this?

he's prob doing the same thing with even a lower speed, you ever "monitor" COD with the network monitor and see how little it actually uses in game? It's seriously like 56k modem speed when the game is playing

Why would you connect further if your speeds (width of the band) are faster?

latency is speed not the width of the band the width could be tiny but your packets get there in the same time so an 100gb upload gets there in the same time a 388k does.

People get confused about high speed connection's that term means nothing my 1mb upload adsl was as fast as my 17mb upload fibre in terms of latency.

Gaming needs so little packets that throttling does what? it certainly doesnt slow your ping down and ping is the speed at which the packets get there and back.

Why would you connect further if your speeds (width of the band) are faster?

latency is speed not the width of the band the width could be tiny but your packets get there in the same time so an 100gb upload gets there in the same time a 388k does.

People get confused about high speed connection's that term means nothing my 1mb upload adsl was as fast as my 17mb upload fibre in terms of latency.

Gaming needs so little packets that throttling does what? it certainly doesnt slow your ping down and ping is the speed at which the packets get there and back.

the misconception of internet 'speed' lies firmly with the way that isp's market the product.

it's always faster this faster that and bandwidth latency and ping are never mentioned.

on the topic since it might be informative

i got MW3 for the Xbox360, the game with the worst of all lag compensations among CoD games

also i own a l*gb*ster, an anything else than legal device that among other things has a function to use a "counter measurement for lag compensation", a software algorithm optimized for certain games to make you benefit from their lag compensation

that algorithm takes everything into consideration, ping, bandwidth, packet loss, so the full package so to say

to make it short, in 50% of the games it worked like crazy, in the other 50% you didnt notice anything or it even played worse

what i want to say with that, even with a fully optimized solution you cannot beat the lag compensation in every game, the experience for the most part is overall almost the same as without any anti lag compensation actions

also

the amount of lag compensation a player gets is determined during the matchmaking search and lobby creation and not during the running game (in P2P games)

once the game starts you have to undo your anti lag compensation actions or else the benefit is minimal due to the limited connection, the best output is to be expected when the game thinks you play on 0,5mbit and 800ping while you actually run your full bandwidth with low ping

as i said, lag compensation is only determined once and then proceeds through the entire game no matter if your connection then changes or not

also lag compensation works entirely different if you are the host, if you want to benefit from lag compensation make sure to not get host and preferably play lobbies with low pings where you are the person with the highest ping during lobby creation

how i see the OPs suggestion

the R1 makes sure you get into low ping lobbies because of the region filter

since only your console is on the R1 and its set to a low max bandwidth (1mbit or so) your ping should be relatively high as the game will require almost all of the bandwidth, means you are the person with probably the highest ping in the game and therefore benefit the most from lag compensation

though you continue to play the actual game with that high ping and low connection, which means even though you get benefits from lag compensation your low connection may take away quite a bit of that benefit

you should get a better outcome when setting your R1s bandwidth back to your normal speeds during the game

also make sure to not get host!

on the topic since it might be informative

i got MW3 for the Xbox360, the game with the worst of all lag compensations among CoD games

also i own a l*gb*ster, an anything else than legal device that among other things has a function to use a "counter measurement for lag compensation", a software algorithm optimized for certain games to make you benefit from their lag compensation

that algorithm takes everything into consideration, ping, bandwidth, packet loss, so the full package so to say

to make it short, in 50% of the games it worked like crazy, in the other 50% you didnt notice anything or it even played worse

what i want to say with that, even with a fully optimized solution you cannot beat the lag compensation in every game, the experience for the most part is overall almost the same as without any anti lag compensation actions

also

the amount of lag compensation a player gets is determined during the matchmaking search and lobby creation and not during the running game (in P2P games)

once the game starts you have to undo your anti lag compensation actions or else the benefit is minimal due to the limited connection, the best output is to be expected when the game thinks you play on 0,5mbit and 800ping while you actually run your full bandwidth with low ping

as i said, lag compensation is only determined once and then proceeds through the entire game no matter if your connection then changes or not

also lag compensation works entirely different if you are the host, if you want to benefit from lag compensation make sure to not get host and preferably play lobbies with low pings where you are the person with the highest ping during lobby creation

how i see the OPs suggestion

the R1 makes sure you get into low ping lobbies because of the region filter

since only your console is on the R1 and its set to a low max bandwidth (1mbit or so) your ping should be relatively high as the game will require almost all of the bandwidth, means you are the person with probably the highest ping in the game and therefore benefit the most from lag compensation

though you continue to play the actual game with that high ping and low connection, which means even though you get benefits from lag compensation your low connection may take away quite a bit of that benefit

you should get a better outcome when setting your R1s bandwidth back to your normal speeds during the game

also make sure to not get host!

I too had/have the l*gb*ster, there was a guy on youtube that ran his l*gb*ster WITH a R1, lol. I had the l*gb*ster before they added "counter measure" which was a tool to "fight" lag compensation. It was a great idea, but to have a lap top open while playing is kinda of a pain, you had to change your "artificial lag" between matches and during the match. They wanted you to keep raising your ping until you hit 3 bars then go up just a little. They also focused on how important upload was, which gave your "dropped shots" where you fired and it's like the bullets never hit.

Like I said if you network monitor this game you'd be surprised how little bandwidth the game uses (30-50kb/s) which is bellow dial up. On the Activision website it even says the minimal bandwidth for the game is 512kb/s or .5MB/s when the average household is like 10MB/s. So don't feel because your have a fat "pipe" to your house your going to have a advantage over everyone. A buddy of mine down the road has a guy on his clan that plays off his cell phone, yes he plays off a 4G network and plays very well.

When I "network monitor" I also noticed before the match starts when it's syncing settings, waiting for players, etc, you'll see the network meters peak (upload and download) I think that is the host checking your initial ping, maybe shooting you a 416kb packet and you shoot it back (why 416, I'll get to). Lets say that packet is a shot glass of water for a example. You have a "big pipe" 25-50MB/s so that shot glass flys back and fourth showing your "true ping". BUT you choke your pipe down to a straw (under 400kb/s) it takes a little while for that water to come to you and be sent back so now that extra time is adding "initial ping" on top of your true ping so the host will not add any compensation to you but add it to the guys/gals with the fat pipes.

So now the host gets everyones pings, lets say some are pinging 5, some are 30, and the "pipe choker" is 50, the game will add "lag" VIA lag compensation of 45ms to the 5's and 20ms to the 30's so everyone is on a "level playing field", but what really ends up happening is the pipe chokers are now more ahead of the game than everyone else.

I used to play a game called Counterstrike on PC, it was a Half Life mod, kinda like the first Modern Warfare, real guns, recoil, fun stuff. Call of Duty runs on a Quake engine, but Counterstrike or CS for short had "interpolation"or interp for short, which meant if you were pinging 100ms we'll say you'd have .1 of interp. So when the model of the enemy runs by his "hitboxes" or skeleton was .1 second or 100ms behind. So sometimes you'd have to shoot behind the enemy to hit them. But what was great about CS is you could change the settings, where I set mine to .01 so the hitboxes were "dead on"

Earlier I mentioned a # of 416 when talking about upload and download speeds. Something I found (I play on PS4) when you go into the "online game", hit options go to the bottom and hit system info you'll see your IP, NAT type and a important # called Bandwidth. Changing my upload speed I could get that to the lowest of 64kb/s and the highest of 4163kb/s (4.3MB/s). You ever notice when you try to find a match and you get in one right away your game plays great? I noticed this back in Black Ops 2, then after the round, lobby, next game now your getting smoked? wtf? I just schooled these guys/gals last round now I'm getting spanked?? It's like when you sat though the round beginning (syncing settings, waiting for players, etc) they handicapped you somehow? Lag Compensation my brothers and sisters.... Back to the 416, I felt like that was the size of the packet they'd send to check your ping.

So how do we beat, bypass or override this lag compensation? We can't, the best we can do it lower our upload speed before the match starts to add "artificial ping" by choking that ping packet. l*gb*ster kept your bandwidth, left it alone, it just added 50-100 MS before matches so now your more "live" with the game.. What I been doing was set my upload bandwidth to like .07 then set upload to 99% in device prioritization, which is like 50kb/s (yes bellow dial up) start the game, you'll even notice when it is retrieving your profile it might take a few seconds longer once your in the online part check your bandwidth in "options", the lowest it can go is 64, see if it's at 64? then put your upload back to it's advertised speed and play the game. Maybe when the host "shoots that packet" to check your ping they are actually checking your "bandwidth" in the options to set your compensation?

I'm not here to prove anyone wrong, I know I'm gonna get busted for saying that packet was 416kb when packets are much much smaller. I'd just like us all to find a way to make this game more playable. We're not hacking the game, we're just trying to figure out how it works and make it even for the people who have faster internet. I'd like to shout out to "Jiveturkey" on YouTube and Twitter, him and I were going back and fourth in the MW3 days trying to figure out how to minimize this lag compensation.

Guys I play all the old games bops 2 mw etc they are all playing sooo good now with the duma i have a releative "high speed" internet and i do not feel like i am being de-compensated at all, my kd is much higher than before the Netduma.

I understand mileage may vary.

Stop playing AW and have a go on the older titles :)

• 1 month later...

Kac1023 best explaination u heard about the l*gb*ster. Your example is spot on. I too have verizon fios and a l*gb*ster but could never figure it out. Too much messing around. Tried what you suggested and yeup it plays different. Thanks bro

Archived