Ping Issues

I purchased the Netduma because I was always getting a ping rate between 60-80ms, was told that it would help reduce this. So far it's not done that.

As soon as I'm in a lobby with anyone from France, Germany, Spain etc then I can kiss my ass goodbye, they just dominate every time, why is this???

If it's a full UK lobby then I can pretty much dominate myself.

At the moment I'm with BT on 3.2Mbps up 0.38Kbps down. Had a lot of problems with their hubs disconnecting so had to go with a Netgear to solve this.

I got a separate line put in for gaming so I'm the only one using the line.

I've turned off IPv6 at the three points, should deep packet be turned off?

Here's my screenshots.

post-2102-0-45452100-1433201186_thumb.jpg

post-2102-0-83390000-1433201198_thumb.jpg

post-2102-0-85586900-1433201208_thumb.jpg

post-2102-0-06707300-1433201213_thumb.jpg

post-2102-0-12851400-1433201221_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Netduma Staff

Ok, so your base ping is averaging 60ms. That is fairly high which is probably where your issue is. But its not unplayable. So a good game for you is going to be about 70ms?

You need to change the Ping assist to above your base ping - probably about 65-70ms. Your GeoFilter is also quite small but I don't think enlarging it should make it any better :)

I think your main problem is just the high base ping.

Final thing, the ping you were getting from the game you were in was pretty much as good as it could be.

Ok, so your base ping is averaging 60ms. That is fairly high which is probably where your issue is. But its not unplayable. So a good game for you is going to be about 70ms?

You need to change the Ping assist to above your base ping - probably about 65-70ms. Your GeoFilter is also quite small but I don't think enlarging it should make it any better :)

I think your main problem is just the high base ping.

Final thing, the ping you were getting from the game you were in was pretty much as good as it could be.

Not had a game yet below 60ms which is disappointing and If I make my Geofilter any bigger then things just go down hill even more.

I've adjusted my ping assist so will see if that helps any.

Cheers

The numbers are going to be lower than the 100% test. I am going to just verify some items. Can you make sure your setting match this wiki information http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_is_my_speed_lower

Due to your bandwidth - Select preemptive and turn deep packet processing on.

That Ping test is to google. It's as fast as your gaming is going to get unless you can fix the issues with your broadband.

If you want to satisfy yourself that the above is true, disconnect the netduma and run a pint test in the command prompt:

Ping -n 30 bbc.co.uk

Ping -n 30 google.co.uk

From the forum username I assume you are based in Scotland? For reference, I live in central Scotland and ping the above at 14ms so you can see this issue! Good luck

You will be on interleaving because of errors on the line if the errors clear after a certain lenght of time it can lift and you go back to fast path.

When you were on fast path your ping will be 40ms interleaving puts around 20ms on top when it is enabled by the exchange.

You could ring BT and ask if you can have a fast path profile asking also to turn off DLM (dynamic line management) it is the DLM putting you on interleaving

Zennon I'd suggest given the sync speeds and indicative length of the line (assuming it's not a fault causing the slow speeds) that going to fast path will cause some stability issues.

Also do BT allow user requests for DLM on adsl? I never had BT adsl so honestly not sure. Could always look at putting a custom firmware on the Netgear and tweaking snr upwards (which would lower sync but improve stability and then give fast path a shot). But he doesn't have much bandwidth to play with and could already be on a 9db profile given recent issues.

If it was me, with two lines at premises), I tweak one to within an inch of its life for ping / gaming and use the other line for general Internet and downloading.

But your speeds are so low already if you take much of a hit on that upload it will barely be enough for some games already. Not an easy one :o

I suggested it because that is the only way to lower his pings the duma cannot do that.

And he said he used to have 40ms sometimes , so his line can do fast path just there might of been a storm or something and the dlm has got a stuck profile now.

When i had adsl with talk talk they put me on fast path and turned dlm off after a request :)

• Netduma Staff

Not had a game yet below 60ms which is disappointing and If I make my Geofilter any bigger then things just go down hill even more.

I've adjusted my ping assist so will see if that helps any.

Cheers

As Buck and Zennon said thats because the ping to the host can't be less than your base ping - your base ping is 60ms so it can't be less than that. Going to a fast path will decrease your ping but it can also cause packet loss which is sometimes worse for gaming :)

• Administrators

Your ping is essentially:

base ping + time to travel distance + time spent in queue

We help with the latter two but the base ping is an ISP issue. You have the highest base ping I've ever seen in the UK. The test we run, disables everything so its purely a ping test. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking & what type of broadband do you have?

Iain I'll guess north of me in Scotland (given name and avatar) and adsl given those speeds.

Still amazed at base ping though. On fibre I'm 14/15ms to google (was 18/19ms on adsl). To put it in perspective when I lived in back end of nowhere in Northern Ireland I still had a ping of 30ms to google & bbc

I live a couple of miles from a town called Forth. The exchange is enabled for fiber but I'm too far from the street cabinet, so can't get it just now. I'm on BT unlimited and had nothing but bother since it was put in. Ran good for the first couple of weeks.

One of the phone line polls was struck with lighting a couple of years ago, the line is still laying across the entrance to the farmers field. That won't help things, have complained about it and the ping numerous times. Said there is nothing they can do about the ping.

Had the line moved to fast track but that just caused more problems so had it put back to interleaved.

Will just need to contact BT again and get something done about the high ping.

Less than 30 miles away from me! Ouch at that ping.

Not surprised fast path caused you more issues as I'd thought in earlier post. Unfortunately it's not a BT issue it sounds like. Any isp would be having same issues. You need openreach to fix the line but they only respond to isp's (catch 22).

If you know the farmer, best bet might be to get him to contact openreach to say he needs line lifted off his land and that might see them come out to replace pole and wire.

• Administrators

Your base ping is very high. The netduma will improve your overall ping but you have a bad start to start with if that makes sense.

So most people in UK will have 90-100ms to NYC. You'll have 160ms. So we can take others all the way down to 15-30ms but you'll be around 70ms at best. If that makes sense. So a big difference but you're still high. 

• 2 weeks later...

Your base ping is very high. The netduma will improve your overall ping but you have a bad start to start with if that makes sense.

So most people in UK will have 90-100ms to NYC. You'll have 160ms. So we can take others all the way down to 15-30ms but you'll be around 70ms at best. If that makes sense. So a big difference but you're still high.

How to get ping around to 15-30ms to NYC? I'm in London. I would love to have an ama I got ping to the U.S. Because most of my online friends are from there.

• Administrators

its impossible because the universe is limited by the speed of light. That's why the Geo-Filter blocks hosts that are too far away, its the only solution. 

Archived