Picking Up Where We Left Off w/ Line Quality Problem/Lag Problem

Hey guys, I deeply apologize for such the long wait. Here's whats going on as of right now.

I replaced the modem with a TC 7620 or whatever the hell its called. Great internet, seemed like the line quality issue was fixed because whenever I went to DSLReports, it was consistent results with no bs like before. A+ bufferbloat and A quality, BUT..... heres the catch.

When I tested the other part of it, by going into the actual results, it showed that I had a bigger problem here. The ping was absolutely insane. We went from consistent low ping with bad consistency with the modem, right to great consistency with the modem bufferbloat wise, but ended up with horrible ping to where ping plotter says its bad, netduma says its bad in game, and DSLReports says that Idle lag is horrendous depending on where I put the sliders, but majority of the time, it's the idle lag.

So now I'm really starting to think that it's a line problem like we all said a month ago. I will try to get the results on here to show you. But from what I'm saying right now, this DEFINITELY sounds like a line problem, correct?

If you do not remember what happened the last time we spoke, please check out the last post I had up. Here is the link below

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/21699-lag-compensation-problems-not-sure-what-this-is-tbh/

So now I'm really starting to think that it's a line problem like we all said a month ago. I will try to get the results on here to show you. But from what I'm saying right now, this DEFINITELY sounds like a line problem, correct?

Could be... we need to see the screenshots of your tests (and detail the test setup when you post them).

Don't pay any attention to an A+ on dslreports though. Whilst it's nice to see, it doesn't mean much.

I would consistently get an A+ on my old line and it was literally impossible to play games on that line - it was so bad that the ISP let me break contract without a penalty or even an argument.

• Netduma Staff

Hey guys, I deeply apologize for such the long wait. Here's whats going on as of right now.

I replaced the modem with a TC 7620 or whatever the hell its called. Great internet, seemed like the line quality issue was fixed because whenever I went to DSLReports, it was consistent results with no bs like before. A+ bufferbloat and A quality, BUT..... heres the catch.

When I tested the other part of it, by going into the actual results, it showed that I had a bigger problem here. The ping was absolutely insane. We went from consistent low ping with bad consistency with the modem, right to great consistency with the modem bufferbloat wise, but ended up with horrible ping to where ping plotter says its bad, netduma says its bad in game, and DSLReports says that Idle lag is horrendous depending on where I put the sliders, but majority of the time, it's the idle lag.

If you do not remember what happened the last time we spoke, please check out the last post I had up. Here is the link below

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/21699-lag-compensation-problems-not-sure-what-this-is-tbh/

This very well could be a line problem, though screenshots of those pingplotter results would greatly help in deducing that. How bad is the ping exactly? Does this fluctuate at different times of day? 

https://imgur.com/a/3Ldl4

Ok so here are the results I've gotten in the past day. It seems like they kinda stay the same throughout the day. On the R1, when I play any CoD on their servers, ping levels go from 70 to 200 or 300 really quick and are all over the place. 

That's a horrible looking graph.

I'd ping twitter.com if I were you though.

Your laptop was the only thing on the network whilst you were testing there right? You weren't playing PS4 or downloading something whilst recording that graph?

Can you run the test again please, direct from the modem/hub, to twitter.com. If it's an ISP hub, disable the wifi and disconnect all other ethernets.

I'd also swap the ethernet cable out just in case it's iffy.

That's a horrible looking graph.

I'd ping twitter.com if I were you though.

Your laptop was the only thing on the network whilst you were testing there right? You weren't playing PS4 or downloading something whilst recording that graph?

Can you run the test again please, direct from the modem/hub, to twitter.com. If it's an ISP hub, disable the wifi and disconnect all other ethernets.

I'd also swap the ethernet cable out just in case it's iffy.

It's actually a gaming PC desktop I built myself. Nope, no ps4 was going on and there was no downloading involved. 

I can definitely try and see about testing it with twitter, but as of right now, I can't plug directly into modem because my father is home right now, plus I have the microcell in, meaning that everything in the house including phone signals here will be knocked out, and I really don't wanna have to hear it from him tonight. 

Ethernet cables were replaced with Cat7 recently, they're all working properly.

Should I rerun the test without direct plugin to the modem, but ping to twitter to see what's going on? because when I did a regular ping test, it was connecting to servers around the US and a few different sites, and they were all really high pings. Before, that didn't happen, so that's definitely telling me there's a line problem. Even on CoD, the R1 was telling me that no matter what server I used, it was all pings above 100ms, same with DSLReports and Ping Plotter as I think we all saw.

• Netduma Staff

It's actually a gaming PC desktop I built myself. Nope, no ps4 was going on and there was no downloading involved. 

I can definitely try and see about testing it with twitter, but as of right now, I can't plug directly into modem because my father is home right now, plus I have the microcell in, meaning that everything in the house including phone signals here will be knocked out, and I really don't wanna have to hear it from him tonight. 

Ethernet cables were replaced with Cat7 recently, they're all working properly.

Should I rerun the test without direct plugin to the modem, but ping to twitter to see what's going on? because when I did a regular ping test, it was connecting to servers around the US and a few different sites, and they were all really high pings. Before, that didn't happen, so that's definitely telling me there's a line problem. Even on CoD, the R1 was telling me that no matter what server I used, it was all pings above 100ms, same with DSLReports and Ping Plotter as I think we all saw.

If you can't test directly from the modem, try running a pingplotter on a local news website - that usually yields accurate results. Judging by all you've said and your results, it's looking more and more like your line is the culprit in all this. Unfortunately the best way to truly prove that is to remove the Netduma from the equation and test.

Your line issue could be a number of factors - your ISP could be oversubscribed or poorly connected in your area, or it could be as simple as replacing your modem. If your Ethernet cables are fine then there's no need to replace those again. If you had another spare modem to test then that would be a good bet.

meaning that everything in the house including phone signals here will be knocked out

Should I rerun the test without direct plugin to the modem, but ping to twitter to see what's going on?

You don't need to knock the phone out too, I just mean the end of the cable that normally plugs into the Netduma - plug that into your PC.

But obviously wait until your Dad is out if you don't want to do that at the moment.

If you've already tried Twitter and a local news site (like Jack said) and they all show the same sort of behaviour then it's highly likely to be a line problem or the modem itself.

Jack

The modem was switched from a surfboard arris to a TC 7620 or whatever they are called, the most popular modems out there right now, that someone from the last post suggested I get. The speeds in the beginning were amazing, but then it died again like usual and the high pings came in. 

Colonic

I'm not exactly knocking the phone out, but let me explain to you that setup and why plugging the duma into the modem will knock out the cell signals.

In my area, we have s*** cell service for ATT, which is not normal in my town, but sadly in this area it is. Because of that, we had to place a Microcell in our home, which if you don't know what that is, which I'm most certainly sure you do, is it's a device you plugin to your router that you stick by a window, and it will improve your cell signal by satellite and strengthen GPS signals and somehow makes my routers work. For some odd reason, my duma or nighthawk will not work unless the microcell is working. You'd think that the wifi would help in making certain phone calls or being able to use the internet on your phone, NOPE... So the setup is basically Modem to Duma to Nighthawk to microcell. The Duma is the primary router for ethernet only, no wifi, while the nighthawk gives out all the wifi signals to our iPads, iPhones, etc. 

Optimum is actually going to be at my place in a half an hour, so hopefully they don't BS me and they will be able to find something that isn't right. Plus, I have the proof to show them that something is completely wrong here. With the amount of prove I have at this point, I don't even know how they could make any sort of argument that it's not a line issue to them. 

I'll let you guys know what this guy says in the end. He will be here until 2 my time. It's 10:30 now, he's getting here at 11.

Ok, so here's the story. Optimum just got done doing all their tests. They checked everything and said they weren't sure what the problem was until I showed them the graphs. They tested everything again, and realized something was off. The guy went outside on the pole and was out there for at least an hour. I was wondering what the hell the guy could be doing out there for so long, and then realized that the only reason he mustve been out there was because there really was a line problem. He finally comes back in and says that there was a huge problem with the line. And he said they would get it fixed within the next 24-48 hours.

Once this is completely fixed, what should be the first thing I do with the R1 to make sure everything is good, or to set it up?

we had to place a Microcell in our home, which if you don't know what that is, which I'm most certainly sure you do

I had to Google it, I've honestly never heard of a Microcell before - learn something new every day  :)

He finally comes back in and says that there was a huge problem with the line. And he said they would get it fixed within the next 24-48 hours.

Once this is completely fixed, what should be the first thing I do with the R1 to make sure everything is good, or to set it up?

That's good news! It's not good to have a problem of course but it confirms it was out of your hands, not your fault, and you're not losing your mind.

And it's good because they've acknowledged the problem and are looking to fix it quickly.

What to do next... What Zen said. Good luck.