Rank - Posts

Newbie - 0

Junior Member -  1

Member  - 10

Advanced Member - 30

Member - 50

Senior Member  250

Posting Freak  - 750

So I thought it would be fun to change them to something more fitting.

Fire away with your ideas.

That is when somebody has Posted as you were typing and you press post and nothing happens , press refresh if this happens or it will double or tripple post :)

I know I am new, but I think forum ranks should not exist.

I feel posters who are knowledgeable, their insight will speak for itself and it is the content... rather than the poster / post count...  That should be valued on this forum since it is a fun and open community, but also a very educated one, for obvious reasons.

I'm all for having fun and building community, but make sure the real focus is not lost  :)

• Administrators

I know I am new, but I think forum ranks should not exist.

I feel posters who are knowledgeable, their insight will speak for itself and it is the content... rather than the poster / post count...  That should be valued on this forum since it is a fun and open community, but also a very educated one, for obvious reasons.

I'm all for having fun and building community, but make sure the real focus is not lost  :)

Great point. That's one of the many things I love about this forum - no egos.

So just to be clear in no way was this meant to be an elitist / cliquey thing. It was more that the default ranks are a bit dull I wondered if we could think of something a bit more exciting! If alternaitves come across as elitist then I'll leave them as they are.

• Netduma Staff

Anyone can just change their title though can't they? I can't remember who it is but I'm pretty sure someones has 'I like guns and girls' or something like that as their forum title :D I might be wrong, maybe someone changed it forum but I'm pretty sure their is a setting so you could change it for your self.

PS:

I'll tell you what we do need, some new emoticons :) Swap the old pack out for some new ones or something because I like using emojis and these ones have got boring :)

I helped build a couple of forums in my day and this is another one of those things that creeps up, and there is no making people happy.  Now the forums I am talking about were more weapon and self defense oriented, so the risk of bad information was to a great degree more serious than not getting a 15-kill streak.  

But for the sake of discussion:

Example:  When I first joined, there was a guy here named abc123.  Really smart dude, was able to jump in and help anyone, usually with really good information.  He was a bit curt at times, but the guy knew what he was talking about.

Now he isn't visiting regularly, but if he comes back, his post count will obviously be lower than most.

Fast forward to Mythical Example land:

abc comes back and is posting.  A new member comes along, asks some questions, and see responses by "me" (probably the last line of defense when it comes to answering technical questions), but my post count is much higher and I have a "GODLY TITLE".  Unless I say "abc is the guy to talk to here" I could very easily lead them down the wrong path.  If I were a troll who posted in every thread, just to be seen, it could drastically compound the issue.

Now obviously the Net Duma staff here is very active, Crossy practically lives here, and the overall caliber of posters is higher than average, so the risks are much less of this happening. For now.  

Net Duma is going to take off and you guys are going to get busy.  REALLY BUSY.  I don't think anyone doubts that for a moment.  In a year or two Crossy is going to get picked up by a pro team, move into a team house, and the only time we are going to see him is when he's hoisting trophies with his new team.   ;)  :P

And then what?  All the savages are left to fend for themselves?

Opening the titles to poster choice is great.  Until someone becomes disgruntled, wants to be a passive aggressive bitch, and puts something like a link disguised as a "destination" or a "mood" that goes to another site trashing the product or the place.  It happens all the time, I am sorry to say.

One of the things I like about this forum is everyone seems to be a stand up, class act.  

My vote would be to get rid of them altogether.  Or make the changes so high in post count, and so subtle, that only the most diehard of Duma Forum member would even notice.

To the rest of the world, let it appear like we are all equals (Duma Team and Admins aside).  What's the worst that could happen?  We all adopt the same clothing style, communication form and physical posturing like movie characters from an alien race?

JD

I second Dillinger's post.

This is probably bad form, but I have to say this, and hope it doesn't influence the admins / staff decision either way, ironically.

Some of the very things Dillinger speaks of are going on right now at the official Activision / CoD / AW forums.

There are a group of "elite" posters who pretty much live on there, don't play the game any more (most likely), and are the most belligerent and self-serving group of virtual vultures I have ever had the displeasure of running across in my internet travels. The Group Think is so thick over there it is like a cult. No joke. Anybody who dare disagree with them is persona non-grata and they have the gaul to attack others who prove them wrong. It is a very sad state of affairs when old men... By self-admission... Need that kind of validation since they obviously aren't getting it anywhere else, obviously.

This is what I DON'T want the R1 forums to turn into because like many... This product is going to take off. Mark my words. 

I don't even care if this post gets back to them because (I assume) Crossy is also posting there and they immediately attacked him, not knowing his expertise and position in the CoD / gaming community at large. That's how insulated they are. This is something I don't want these forums to be come: Elitist and full of itself.

Once again, I apologize if this is bad form to slag on another forum, but it doesn't matter anyway because they are now declaring all Netduma users "cheaters" and trying to paint anybody who uses them as "unable to play within the rules and optimize the connection on their end". I'm dead serious. I've had it with them and as stated, do not want to see this forum go down that dark path if at all possible.

Once again, I apologize if this is bad form to slag on another forum, but it doesn't matter anyway because they are now declaring all Netduma users "cheaters" and trying to paint anybody who uses them as "unable to play within the rules and optimize the connection on their end". I'm dead serious. I've had it with them and as stated, do not want to see this forum go down that dark path if at all possible.

jConnor - I completely agree with your view of forum life.  It happens in the world of firearms' forums all the time.  

When I see "experts" talking like this, I want to run over and start lobby softballs to get them to step on their dicks.  But, I have a life to live ..... :D

But, I will say this.  Pro CoD players have been using Nighthawk routers FOREVER, for league games.  It's not even a secret.  It's practically "Welcome to the team" issued equipment.

• Netduma Staff

I don't even care if this post gets back to them because (I assume) Crossy is also posting there and they immediately attacked him, not knowing his expertise and position in the CoD / gaming community at large. That's how insulated they are. This is something I don't want these forums to be come: Elitist and full of itself.

Man, I swear their not normal people, lmao. I made a post explaining why two people, UK to New Zealand can't play in 'real time'. I strongly believe the point I made was valid but it still got pretty brutal for me at some points, lol. Only one person on there (excluding Netduma people) actually understood my post in context.

But onto serious stuff. I hope to sweat mother of all Cods ( ^_^) that out forum does't turn into what they have going on over there. Something over here would have to go seriously wrong imo for anyone to be stooping as low as those guys are - I think we're safe for the forcible feature (at least I hope we are).

EDIT:

I also meant to say thank you to Dilinger and Conner for the kind words. Dillinger's made me laugh, lol  :)

We're kind of going OT, so I'll wrap it up with this:

I believe the big reason certain posters on the AV / CoD forums run rabid is because of NO developer interaction and no moderation... The very two things this forum has in spades. 

It's not rocket science, but when there is a lack of transparency from those who produce and update a product, then this leaves the door wide open for fools to rush in and pretend to be the all-knowing when they in fact know nothing at all. Literally.

So, I, too, am not really afraid of these forums becoming like the AV / CoD forums, but it's ironic this thread came up now when all we have to do is point to the other forum as a cautionary tale and standard by which we need to always be better by a thousand fold, IMO.

I have been thinking about this, and here is something Ian, and company might consider:

To maintain the integrity of the posters, maybe users should be required to enter their Netduma S/N as verification when you create an account?

This way, we will know people posting have the R1, so this should cut down on any spam and outside troll posts that might occur when Netduma gets bigger than it is now.

Perhaps make the Forums private, so the only way you can view them is with an account tied to your Netduma S/N\?

This method might sound elitist, but this is a niche product and therefore entitles you to a select membership so-to-speak...

• Netduma Staff

I have been thinking about this, and here is something Ian, and company might consider:

To maintain the integrity of the posters, maybe users should be required to enter their Netduma S/N as verification when you create an account?

This way, we will know people posting have the R1, so this should cut down on any spam and outside troll posts that might occur when Netduma gets bigger than it is now.

Perhaps make the Forums private, so the only way you can view them is with an account tied to your Netduma S/N\?

This method might sound elitist, but this is a niche product and therefore entitles you to a select membership so-to-speak...

Don't think the forum software lets you do that. It would also be an issue for members who are coming onto the forum to get information about the product. I understand why it could be a good idea though - would definitely get rid of spam and troll posts I think.  :)

i'll call your 'an account tied to your Netduma S/N'

and i'll raise you a 'retinal scan'

So to sum it up were trying to keep the ego's and false entitled people out lol.I think we all want the forum to stay as it is as there is a great group of people here,the hard part is gonna be keeping it that way.

As far as the posting numbers go I don't think most care,because it they did the forum wouldn't be a good as it is.People come here for info and to hang out and IMO that's the way a forum should be.

And abc is alive and well just busy with his new job.And he still takes the time to answer my questions,that dude has to be one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met.And willing to help out anyone any time he can.

Archived