Vileself

Hey all, hoping someone can shed some light here.

Every so often I log into my Netduma and in my device manager there are a bunch of unknown devices connected to my router. I block and delete these devices from the list each time but I would like to know how the heck they're connecting in the first place?

A few minutes ago I just had to block and delete over a dozen random devices and I have no clue who they even belong to.

My R1 is password protected. The serial number on the device is the password. I don't even talk to my neighbours or anyone in my neighbourhood for that matter so its perplexing to me that there would be so many random devices hooked up to it.

Hope someone will have some answers, Thanks.

Vile

More than likely just your friends and family automatically reconnecting when they visit after you've removed their devices.

Change your wifi password and don't give it to anyone, none of your friends, none of your family. Then the only devices you see will be your own.

Unless you have a device(s) that don't like to stick to one IP and are connecting to the router with multiple IPs (my TV was doing this until I set a static IP in the TV's own settings). Record the MAC addresses and check them off against your devices, they won't have changed even if the IP has.

More than likely just your friends and family automatically reconnecting when they visit after you've removed their devices.

Change your wifi password and don't give it to anyone, none of your friends, none of your family. Then the only devices you see will be your own.

Unless you have a device(s) that don't like to stick to one IP and are connecting to the router with multiple IPs (my TV was doing this until I set a static IP in the TV's own settings). Record the MAC addresses and check them off against your devices, they won't have changed even if the IP has.

I appreciate the response but I do not think either of these are the case here. There were several different android tablets in the list and I honestly don't even know anyone with an android tablet. The only guest I have over who uses my wifi is my brother and his phone is in my list of devices I am familiar with. If my parents or my friends swing by they very rarely ever ask to connect to my wifi and when they do I'm the one that gives them the password meaning I would recognize their device in the list.

As far as it being some of my devices potentially connecting with multiple IPs I don't think that is the case either because for example why would a Samsung TV be showing up as an android tablet or an android phone while at the same time showing up as a Samsung TV?

Is there any way for people to hack into the router and access it without a password?

I appreciate the response but I do not think either of these are the case here. There were several different android tablets in the list and I honestly don't even know anyone with an android tablet. The only guest I have over who uses my wifi is my brother and his phone is in my list of devices I am familiar with. If my parents or my friends swing by they very rarely ever ask to connect to my wifi and when they do I'm the one that gives them the password meaning I would recognize their device in the list.

As far as it being some of my devices potentially connecting with multiple IPs I don't think that is the case either because for example why would a Samsung TV be showing up as an android tablet or an android phone while at the same time showing up as a Samsung TV?

Is there any way for people to hack into the router and access it without a password?

There's a million possibilities here to be honest... It is possible that your samsung tv is showing up as an android tablet since I'm pretty sure they do run some kind of modified android OS on it.

Also could be a smart appliance you own just duplicating itself over and over due to malware or a virus that got on it.

Same with a PC that is infected with a virus or malware. If you'd like I could take a look at it through TeamViewer. PM me if you want to.

• Administrators

Do any of them actually have IP addresses? If not then there is no need to worry, I think the router can sometimes get into a rare state where it produces nameless/unnamed devices with no IPs. Factory reset from miscellaneous settings and see if it still occurs.