Gaming

VIPER51

Does the computer you use make that much difference in quality of play? Trying to set up a decent gaming set up. Any suggestions? All welcome. Thanks 

I recently upgraded my pc with intel i7 6700 at 4.00ghz and a gtx 1060gb for around 500 quid already had a pc to chuck in those parts getting around 150 to 170 fps on quake champions with low settings other games can be better although quake is still in beta phase.

Well worth going the extra mile to get 120 fps if you monitor is 120-144hz otherwise like Fraser said 60fps is fine but if you have some money to burn head for the 120hz plus range gtx 1080+ cards should be good for ultra high settings at above 120 hz.

Does the computer you use make that much difference in quality of play? Trying to set up a decent gaming set up. Any suggestions? All welcome. Thanks 

It's an almost unfair advantage to have top quality high frame yielding PC components. 

In online gaming (Not talking about net throughput) it's all about the fastest FRAME rendering.  There are 2 ways you can get there... The first is to turn down EVERYTHING. Make the game look like total shit.  This will look like you're playing in vomit, but your frames will be super fast and responsive.  WHEN i say everything, I mean everything to include RESOLUTION.

When I was playing competitive FEAR in ladder 1v1s. w'd ALL PLAY AT 640X480 RES, everything on low.  If I even tried to play at 1920x1080, i'd be dead before I could snap to target.

It makes THAT much of a difference.

The second way is to have a monster system. This allows a DECENT chance of you winning gunfights, even with settings that look great. The downfall is frame rendering. Once again, you'll probably lose to the guy that RENDERS his frames faster.

The SECRET of all this is to have a solid ISP with no packet loss, a quality router (R1)  and being set up properly in terms of ONLINE FPS games.  Keep in mind, that FPS router setup should differ than your "surfing" profile.  With your R1 you can set different profiles to maximize each particular task you are doing.

I have learned over the years to take online gaming with a grain of salt. There are so many variables in packet exchange that your experience can differ greatly from day to day.

Build your system with the best you can afford to, and enjoy the immersion!

i7 4790K at 4.6,  Crucial BallistiX tracers underclocked for low latency, ASUS STRIX 980TI, Soundblaster Z audio, Sabertooth Z97 Mark1. Corsair liquid cooling and case. Crucial SSDs..

i7 processors, especially the unlocked... are the nutz in gaming.  Huge L3 cache overclocking abilities, and current instruction makes them the best choice. They are expensive, but for serious gaming, they're the only way to go.  AMD has some decent CPUs as well, they're getting more and more competitive. I certainly hope they start competing with Intel's i7 series.. that makes for competition, which equates to better pricing for all!

The last AMD cpu I had was the 2500+    That was YEARS ago.    Since then I've used all i7s exclusively. No need to change, gaming is bliss with a devil's canyon @ 4.6Gs.. 

That is true. I was sort of regretting that why I chose i7 over the choice of going to Ryzen. But then I installed a few games and did some rendering on 3d Max and my regret went right outta the window. 

The experience I am getting is truly mesmerizing. I just want to upgrade my gpu. I am using Gigabyte Radeon Rx 480 8Gb. I really wish to move to Titan 

That RX480 is a good card!   I haven't used an AMD card (ATI) in years.  I try to upgrade graphics every two years.  I'm on the STRIX 980TI now, and will skip 1080.   1180TI is in the future..

Do you have a good monitor?   Playing in 2K  (1440P)  is really nice with Gsync.  You'd be able to use Freesync, as an AMD customer.   

That RX480 is a good card!   I haven't used an AMD card (ATI) in years.  I try to upgrade graphics every two years.  I'm on the STRIX 980TI now, and will skip 1080.   1180TI is in the future..

Do you have a good monitor?   Playing in 2K  (1440P)  is really nice with Gsync.  You'd be able to use Freesync, as an AMD customer.   

Oh yes. But right now I am playing at HP  full HD LCD. I have a Asus 28' 4k monitor but my uncle has it with him for a few weeks. He's an interior designer so he took mine for rendering purpose. 

And, in case he wants to keep it and pay me back the amount, should I go for Asus again? or anyother brand that you'd like to mention and is actually best at 4k display than Asus. 

4K looks great, YES.  HOWEVER, the new 4K 144hz monitors are NOT out yet.  I would NOT go 4K simply because they cannot refresh as fast as 2K monitors right now.

There's no way I'd pay for a monitor that does 60hz.  That's outdated and looks like hell in twitch shooters.

Mine is the Predator 2K  1440P  144/165 27"  IPS panel.  Looks amazing, and refreshes at 165 max.  4ms response, IPS colors are quite impressive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

I owned ASUS monitors too, they are also a good choice.  IPS vs. TN...besides size and refresh rate,  THAT is the BIG decision.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...