Netduma VPN speed max 10 Mbps

Hello,

Second attempt. First post gave a cloudflare error, and I could type it all again : )

First of all I want to say that I am a Netduma enthousiast : )

It does what it says, and is great for gaming.

Specs:

Internet 500/500 Fibre connection

NetdumaR1 version 1.03.6h

Now my problem is not the overal speed of the Netduma, that is fine.

I get 350/500 when set all settings for high speed.

I would love to get 500/500 as when I connect my pc directly to my modem/router. But ok I can live with that.

My problem is the VPN speed. It is stuck at 10/10 Mbps, and normally I should get around 100/100 Mbps.

On the forum I read about VPN speeds being limited to 10 Mbps. Is that still the case? Or can I do some settings?

That is maybe good for streaming, but for downloading torrents it is very slow : (

Is this a hardware or software limit? Will the new DumaOS fix any problems with the overall and VPN speed?

With kind regards,

Niek Kreeftenberg

post-14527-0-08957600-1491246696_thumb.png

post-14527-0-31141300-1491246700_thumb.png

Is your congestion control's at the time you are measuring speeds is at 99 or 100%? Using VPN on the router or a service through the router?

Hello,

Second attempt. First post gave a cloudflare error, and I could type it all again : )

First of all I want to say that I am a Netduma enthousiast : )

It does what it says, and is great for gaming.

Specs:

Internet 500/500 Fibre connection

NetdumaR1 version 1.03.6h

Now my problem is not the overal speed of the Netduma, that is fine.

I get 350/500 when set all settings for high speed.

I would love to get 500/500 as when I connect my pc directly to my modem/router. But ok I can live with that.

My problem is the VPN speed. They are stuck at 10/10 Mbps, and normally I should get around 100/100 Mbps.

On the forum I read about VPN speeds being limited to 10 Mbps. Is that still the case? Or can I do some settings?

That is maybe good for streaming, but for downloading torrents it is very slow : (

Is this a hardware or software limit? Will the new DumaOS fix any problems with the overall and VPN speed?

With kind regards,

Niek Kreeftenberg

When you connect via vpn you do lose quite a lot of bandwidth due to the fact of the encryption and routing of your triffic on the vpn servers but  so much is a bit strange I lose about half If I use vpn and i am on 80/20 fttc. Having said that they may have a capped data rate for their servers to enable fair use as I know a a few vpn providers that have a fair usage policy in place. Remember also it is not advised to game on vpn as that will impact on your hit detection rate considerably due to the extra encryption and routing involved!

6051426933.png13006470.png

• Administrators

It is still limited yes. There hasn't been any update since then. I did ask the Devs if there was the possibility of it being improved but it's unlikely due to hardware. If we can improve it then we of course will do that.

Also you should be able to get higher than 350down normally, make sure everything is set like this:

• Reactive Algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
  • Disable deep packet in misc
  • Enable turbo mode
  • Enable super turbo mode
  • Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
  • Do a wired speed test from a PC

It is still limited yes. There hasn't been any update since then. I did ask the Devs if there was the possibility of it being improved but it's unlikely due to hardware. If we can improve it then we of course will do that.

Also you should be able to get higher than 350down normally, make sure everything is set like this:

• Reactive Algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
  • Disable deep packet in misc
  • Enable turbo mode
  • Enable super turbo mode
  • Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
  • Do a wired speed test from a PC

Hello Fraser,

Ok I understand, the Netduma hardware is not suited for fast VPN.

Regarding to the speed issue: all settings are set correctly, I have reset the device priotisation and and put anti flood to 100.

Cat6 Ethernet cables, and speedtest done on pc. Still the same result, see attachment.

post-14527-0-70745400-1491328153_thumb.png

• Administrators

Everything seems good settings wise. Do you get any differing results when trying different speed test servers? Strange the download is lower. Change the download in bandwidth settings to 700, do you see the speed increase?

I have used different servers on speedtest.net

Like I said when I do the test with my pc directly attached to my modem/router I get the full speed (500/500) (see screenshot 'directly-attached-speedtest.png').

For a good comparison I have tested with both cables that are used for connecting the Netduma (same result).

The Netduma is put in DMZ mode on IP 192.168.2.9 (see screenshot 'dmz.png')

A test from dsl-reports that i use for quality test from the internet line gives a lower speed (see screenshot 'netduma-dls-reports.png')

Changing the download settings to 700 gives a similar result like before 324 Mbps (see screenshot 'netduma-speedtest.png')

Any more ideas? : )

post-14527-0-59077200-1491416400_thumb.png

post-14527-0-19158300-1491416401_thumb.png

post-14527-0-60310600-1491416401_thumb.png

post-14527-0-99990200-1491416401_thumb.png

• Administrators

I don't have any other ideas unfortunately, I would like to take a look though.

Post in the 1 on 1 section: http://forum.netduma.com/forum/66-request-1-on-1/and I will have a look. Please note I need around a days notice.

Please read this first before making the post: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/11450-read-before-posting-a-1-on-1-request/

Hello Fraser,

Thanks for the offer, but to schudule this wil be difficult. Normally I'm not available during work hours

My connection works, only not getting the maximum speed. The VPN speed was a bigger question for me.

Maybe the upcomming DumaOS will resolve the problem with the normal download speed. When the DumaOS is released or in open beta let me know : )

Thanks for all your help and time.