Router problem limiting Port to 5mb download

Hi I have a problem with the router. I am not Shure if this is hardware or software problem.

When I am using my laptop via port by wire connection , speed test showing I have 5bm down and 5mb up.

My internet connection with provider 30 down and 5 up. 

When I connect via wireless connection it is working normally showing 30 down and 5 up. 

I am running a latest firmware and router connected direct to the modem.

Is the any way I can troubleshoot the problem .

Thank you for your help

• Netduma Staff

Hi DJScorp, welcome to the forums :)

First of all can you follow the instructions here and see if they fix your problem. I'm not too sure if they will because your saying wireless is fine. Give them a shot anyway though - maybe they will :)

If that doesn't work, can you restart the Netduma.

If your still having issues after the above two, try using a different port (remember you can't use port 1). Also try a different ethernet cable.

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

• Netduma Staff

I don't see any instructions?

Why I cant use port 1 ?

Sorry, my fault, I updated my answer - here is the link as well http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_is_my_speed_lower.

You can't use port one because this port should be use to connect the Netduma to your other modem/router :)

Ok I tried all of the ports with the same result 5mb up 5mb down, and I am running router the way you prescribed in the instructions.

I also tried a factory reset with no help same results.

• Netduma Staff

Ok I tried all of the ports with the same result 5mb up 5mb down, and I am running router the way you prescribed in the instructions.

I also tried a factory reset with no help same results.

Can you try a different ethernet cable please :) Also please make sure the ethernet cable is plugged in all the way as shown here.

• Netduma Staff

I tried 3 different cables, and they were plugged all the way with the same results.

Can you do the following things and post back the results. Please do them on the same device but switch between wired and wireless :)

1. Make sure congestion control is set to 100%.
  2. Press reset distribution under the device prioritisation and make sure share excess is ticked.
  3. Post results for wireless speedtest on http://speedtest.net.
  4. Post results for wireless speedtest on http://speedtest.net.

Thanks.

• Administrators

thanks for helping Crossy. Glad its fixed DJ  :)

Procreate do you mean just a link to speedtest on the Internet diagnostics page?

• Administrators

Only issue is we need a test server to test speed. We would need many around the world and would essentially be replicating the work of speedtest. So its best just to link to them.

• Administrators

Its not a good idea to use peoples Internet as a server as you'll start lagging horrendously when someone does the test heh

needs to be at the router and not a link through browser. something that bypasses all software essentially the same as me taking router out of the configuration and hooking direct into the modem. other routers do this so i know its possible. 

• Administrators

you need something to connect to ProCreate, it would cost a bomb to put servers everywhere just for testing. You may be talking about modem line check. That is different and we can't control that as its physical layer, which is below our control. 

would be on the software level that runs speed test AT the router [not through computer accessing through browser] just use ookla, thats what other companies use.

bascially when ISP has you troubleshoot your line, they want direct speedtest connection to the modem, which is where the router is... im always too lazy to unhook stuff and bypass routers.

Other routers don't do speedtests directly (as far as I know), as Iain says you need a server to test against.

Other routers show sync speeds which is a very different thing. Is that what you meant?

• Netduma Staff

Iain, couldn't you just have a speed test like speedtest.net running behind the Netduma and then the Netduma displays the results on the dashboard? Speeedtest.net also has this which you could put on the router internet diagnostics page and then have it so when the button is pressed, like procreate, it disables all congestion control and blocks other devices from using internet like the ping test does.

I don't know how easy it is but if you did use that widget you could probably make it fit nicely into the Netduma GUI :)

Thats for use on your own web server, no good as you would need them all over the world as Iain pointed out.

It would be good if the mini had a gui to their site but sadly it does not look like it does.

Archived