SBMM 'Confirmed' for IW?

Dillinger

Here is an image that hit Twitter and made the rounds last night in case any of you savages and slayers were too busy taking newbs out behind the woodpile to see it.  #DumaArmy

This is just another "WTF Infinity Ward?!?!" moment for me as I just don't understand what kind of operation they have going over there.

2yl75dw.png

Just below the highlighted line you can clearly see the name of the "SBMM Testing"

Now all the community complaints about Skill Based Match-Making aside, I have to seriously question Infinity Ward here.

1) Shit happens - especially with code.  I can almost understand how something like this "slipped out" in the most recent update.  I don't condone it, and I don't think there was any good reason it happened, but I can "understand" how it happens.  There should have been stop-gaps in place to confirm this wasn't in the code, they should be more focused on these "little" items and the fact that they are not, is beginning to become concerning.... unless it was intended (see below).

2) - But, seriously WTF?  SBMM Testing?  You couldn't call it "Lady Justice" or hang a tag line on it that was an internal code-word for one of the single most controversial items from the community?

*tinfoil section*

Here's the argument I saw last night while looking into the reaction of the Twitter-sphere as this picture made the rounds.  

"This was put out there to be found so they could gauge the community response and decide on their next improvements"

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:

God help us if one of the three teams assigned to bring us a title once every three years has to do something like THIS to determine what their player-base does and does not want.

The reaction wasn't positive, as I am sure anyone who has played CoD for more than a minute can understand.  I expect there to be videos dropping all over today as everyone takes up their pitchforks.

But this is where the true crux of my issue with this company resides.  As I see it, there are only a couple of options to explain this in my mind.

1) - You were dumb enough to name the file as seen and never bothered to check the playlists to see if this would go live with the patch.  In this case you aren't doing much in the way of quality assurance and what is in the promotion file is what we get, regardless of what is does to the game...

OR

2) - You intentionally named the file something you knew would get a rise out of the community and you are using it gauge response (a troll effort) for reasons unknown

OR

3) You planned on it getting "discovered" and hope to use as a distraction to take away from the heat you are getting over adding Supply Drops to MWR before you fix all the shit broken in IW (leaderboards, ranks, etc, etc).  "Oh, well, you see, sorry about that, it was an idea we were toying with.... but I assure you, it's not in the game" *smokescreen, lights, flashes, distractions*

So my question for discussion is as follows:

With this "discovery" (planned, accidental or otherwise) does it affect your support or trust in Infinity Ward and CoD as a whole?

Thanks for reading!

JD

When the lobby fills there are players of various skill sets, if there was no balancing it could end up with the 2kd players all on one side against a team of 0.*

There has to be SBMM, lets hope that's what this is.

Battlefield, Overwatch both say searching for players with your skill, they have a much heavier SBMM than cod.

In IW you see 2+ and 0.* players co-inhabiting the same lobbies :)

I think when people are concerned about SBMM it isn't the SBMM that Zennon refers to.  Balancing after everyone in the lobby, i would think would be acceptable and fair to everyone.  

That's not the only type of SBMM there is though.  The one people think of first most is the AW model of matching players of skill over connection before the game even starts.

I think there needs to be a lobby balancer, but that lobby should be based on location and connection first.  Then when you have 12 or 18 guys/gals in the room that all have good connections and a more fair playing field, do the best you can to balance it out.  That is reasonable.

Pitching a top tier player from halfway across the globe, into a lobby local to everyone else, merely to protect what is assumed to be a detrimental skill gap between newb and master is stupid.

That isn't what happens it's local players then it ballences, that's the old aw way you speak of Jd.

Just jumped on to check I had 0.20 players in lobbies, it is defo not the old aw style.

If it is truly just balancing the local talent - then I would agree with you Zen.  There should be some slayers in (your name here) lobby to keep you honest, otherwise you start thinking you are a game play channel.   :P

I think the discussion is healthy and should be had here as we have a lot of highly skilled players, all of you better than me. :D

Having more viewpoints than whatever was 'Retweeted' will help raise the overall awareness, which isn't a bad thing.

All that aside - This IS a firebrand issue.  

For Infinity Ward to allow this title of "SBMM Testing" into the wild has done NOTHING to encourage or prop up their fragmented base.  As they have assumed the mantle of "CoD Developer Team 2016-2017", I do expect better out of the trust that SHOULD have come with that ascension to center stage.

Well I actually got to game last night and I should have got some love from SBMM ( but didn't ) but did notice there were all ranges from very low to very high in the lobbies.

As usual I'm adding nothing to the conversation, just taking up space... :huh:

Well I actually got to game last night and I should have got some love from SBMM ( but didn't ) but did notice there were all ranges from very low to very high in the lobbies.

As usual I'm adding nothing to the conversation, just taking up space... :huh:

Feels like blops 3 for skill ranges in a lobby hey fuzzy.

I haven't noticed a change on PS4. I always check the lobbies before a game starts and it's a couple of people with high k/d and a bunch with low k/d and win/loss.

Archived