be your own cod aw host

Spediegunz

I dunno if today Ive just been lucky or if this technique is for sure but I discovered by accident how to pull my own host. maybe if you try it; it will work for you.

before I begin I should mention Im in nyc using xbox one.

everyone on here knows by now dedis are the worst thing for cod aw, so I personally just don't play unless I can find a p2p match the way Ive done this is by simply just not using ping assist and setting my home location and radius out of range from where the dedicated servers are located and keep strict mode on.  what happens is you'll wait a ridiculous amount of time to get a game... NO like serious balance your check book, pull out your ipad, get dinner going cuz it will take a while.  In the top right hand corner it will show how many games are found and it will try to put you into one.  

This is where I made my discovery by accident. Today it search for games but said no games found. I was in the lobby and 1 or 2 people kept joining and leaving because they got impatient and we couldn't get more people to join to start the game.  After about 15 minutes I gave up and broke down... while I still had at least one person in the lobby with me i hit disable on the geo filter.  after that. one by one people started joining and the game started.  when I went to check the ping I noticed all the circles were big which means I was the host.  I didn't think anything of this at the time but later on I went to play and got tired of waiting for the lobby to fill up and hit disable again on the geo filter, when the game started I ended up with host again.  I ended up repeating this everytime I went to search for a game and like clock work I was the host. I think the biggest key to doing it is start searching for games with the geo filter enabled then if no games are found wait until a couple people join then turn it off.  I noticed if I turned it off before I had people in the lobby the screen would flash and I was placed into a different lobby already full of players which was hosted on a dedi.

the upside to this is when your are host the connection feels pretty good especially if other players in your lobby are near you, and also I started games much faster without worrying about getting into dedication server lobbies.

the downside is when you turn off the geofilter anyone can connect to your game sometimes I had games where in the same lobby I had south africa, uk, brazil and I was in nyc, even when your hosting i noticed when the players are that spread it puts some strain on your connection.

well good luck let me know how it goes for you.  i know some uk players will have a harder time doing this because from what I read on these forums it seems like you guys have better odds at getting p2p games where as for me if my router isnt doing its thing 99.8% of the time I will be playing on a dedi.

Interesting find. I will give it a try tomorrow night. One question, what are you using for accessing your Duma? I ask because I use an iPad and wondered if I disable the geofilter would I quickly have to do a refresh? I had great connections tonight and went positive in every game I played. My latest settings are throttling my speed to a 3-4 mb down and 1 mb up.

Interesting find. I will give it a try tomorrow night. One question, what are you using for accessing your Duma? I ask because I use an iPad and wondered if I disable the geofilter would I quickly have to do a refresh? I had great connections tonight and went positive in every game I played. My latest settings are throttling my speed to a 3-4 mb down and 1 mb up.

in the past I used my ipad but I found I couldn't trust what was being displayed and i was constantly refreshing the page, now i just use my laptop

This seems to work pretty well. The only thing i noticed was that no one would have 4 bars and everyone would usually be a 2 or 3. Either way, it is better than a dedi server but the hit detection isn't as crisp because everyone is so far away from each other. Nevertheless, it gives me high kill games(high death as well occasionally). Now if someone can find a way to make it so the hit detection will be great all the time that would be amazing....

To anyone else who has tried this method. please share your experiences in detail... I'm curious to know how everyone elses games are going. Thank you.

your results are similar to mine how ever Id say 4/5 games for me have good connection, if you look at the peer ping I usually end up getting that one person with 200+ ping messing the whole thing up. However this is my most preferred method in using the netduma because it combines the ability to find games faster and a way better feel as compared to playing on a dedi. @mr victor, I actually only discovered this because I used to wait several minutes just to get a p2p game hosted by someone within my radius. There have been times where I've been host and I kept the filter on and it eventually found me 9 other players within a 300 mile radius on the peer ping chart no one was higher then 20. It probably was the best feeling game I ever had. My whole point in saying this is when you use this method the longer you wait and let the room fill up before you turn off the filter the better odds you have of getting a smoother connection. I'm usually too impatient to wait but if you want to fine tune this a bit I'd wait till I have at least 6 people in your range before opening up to the rest of the world.

What about the Lag Comp? I thought the host was given a delay calculated on the worst player in the lobby. That's why most people choke down their bandwidth, to avoid being selected as host. So you're saying that you have a better game as host in spite of lag compensation algorithms, compared to playing on the Dedicated servers, which i must admit tend to be awful.

honestly sometimes I feel guilty because its like I have a host advantage.  For me dedicated servers are horrible I notice that I don't really have lag issues but more things like horrible spawns, kill cams that show I never got a shot off, and getting dropped in 2 bullets while conversely emptying your entire clip isnt enough to kill someone. on p2p you might experience some lag but for the most part a much better playing experience. give it a try and decide for yourself.

honestly sometimes I feel guilty because its like I have a host advantage. For me dedicated servers are horrible I notice that I don't really have lag issues but more things like horrible spawns, kill cams that show I never got a shot off, and getting dropped in 2 bullets while conversely emptying your entire clip isnt enough to kill someone. on p2p you might experience some lag but for the most part a much better playing experience. give it a try and decide for yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I'm still using this method since I found it and at this point it's pretty much the only way I can enjoy cod when I play on the dedis I just want to curse and break the game in half. I just recently got a bal inferno and with these settings I'm unstoppable.

Archived