ISP trace route issue

I am facing an issue for which I am afraid also my R1 will not be able to help.

My ISP in Turkey, cable, with 25 MBs down and 3 MBs up insists that the ping stats below are ok and best they can do. I highly doubt that but I lack the technical knowledge argue that this needs to improve.

when doing a speedtest to a local server in Turkey the ping is about 9-11 ms; speeds about what I pay for.

When using the R1 diagnostic feature it is as below. ping terrible, jitter and spike excellent.

It makes gamin pretty much impossible.

Anybody who can advise?

Thank you in  advance.

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 129.004/141.689/148.789 ms

That diagnostic tool uses google servers only. Your ping is high due to your router pinging google servers. There are probably none that are near you. What I would do is determine the best DNS servers for your location and input them into your router. That should be fine.

• Netduma Staff

Hey, welcome to the forum! We'd recommend these settings for your speeds:

- 1000km Geofilter Distance
- 60ms Ping Assist
- 70% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

Using this setup should largely improve your ping. Alternatively, try out the COD Ultimate profile for the best experience.

That diagnostic tool uses google servers only. Your ping is high due to your router pinging google servers. There are probably none that are near you. What I would do is determine the best DNS servers for your location and input them into your router. That should be fine.

Thank you for your feedback.

Understood your point with the google server ping and distance.

How do I find the dns servers good for my area (ISP?) and how do I put it into the router? I know how to do this maually and fixed IP for the |PS4 but since connecting via teh Netduma R1 that should not be required, isn't it?

Thanks for your time

Hey, welcome to the forum! We'd recommend these settings for your speeds:

- 1000km Geofilter Distance
- 60ms Ping Assist
- 70% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

Using this setup should largely improve your ping. Alternatively, try out the COD Ultimate profile for the best experience.

Thank you for your response

I have these settings and the cable I use is the cable that came originally with the R1.

Whagt about the other feedback that I should use different DSN servers

Thank you

apologies, my distance settings are about 1900 km since I am sitting in Istanbul and otherwise I do not connect to BOIII servers in Germany (servers i Poland and Russia are even worse as it comes to lag. totally unplayable).

Also I had my PA set to 50 ms rather than 60 ms

speedtest.net result is 10 ms. R1 test gives min/avg/max = 98.869/114.402/131.024 ms

DNSBENCH (PC) or NAMEBENCH (MAC) are pretty good programs for finding the best DNS's for you. The R1 is my primary router and I do NOT use my ISP's DNS servers. I disabled Auto DNS on the R1 and entered my best one manually. I don't set DNS values on individual devices either. I just do it on my primary router (R1) and let it handle all my devices and gaming consoles.

DNSBENCH (PC) or NAMEBENCH (MAC) are pretty good programs for finding the best DNS's for you. The R1 is my primary router and I do NOT use my ISP's DNS servers. I disabled Auto DNS on the R1 and entered my best one manually. I don't set DNS values on individual devices either. I just do it on my primary router (R1) and let it handle all my devices and gaming consoles.

Thank you for this. I must use a modem from my ISP but the R1 is directly connected to the modem and all is connected to the R1l does your suggestion to enter the DNS server address in the R1 also apply in that case?

I would agree with Buck and say this is likely just the Google servers you have a bad ping to. What's the average ping you get in a game as shown by the duma?

anything from 87 to 120 to maxing out w 400 on BOIII.

lately on BOII 100-140 ms seem to be the norm. before JUL 67-87 ms were standard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whats the average ping to the Germany server? We're awaiting TF2 to arrive so we can test it.

in TF 2 anything from 48 to 100 ms (showing to server before game and in game)\

in IW i have anything from 87 to 2500 (yes, 2.5 sec) as shown on the R1.

i had a technician here from the ISP (cable) who installed a new splitter to separate TV signal from data signal (before it was an incorrect TV-TV splitter) and since then the signal is better on TV and signal strength as shown on the ISP modem, but the latency is now terrible.

dslreports.com test does not even do bufferbloat test anymore due to too high latency. on the idle signal test part i do not even register to germany, belgium or UK anymore, my best pings now are hongkong and Kuala Lumur and the like....

\about to give up gaming and selling my PS4...

• Administrators

in TF 2 anything from 48 to 100 ms (showing to server before game and in game)\

in IW i have anything from 87 to 2500 (yes, 2.5 sec) as shown on the R1.

i had a technician here from the ISP (cable) who installed a new splitter to separate TV signal from data signal (before it was an incorrect TV-TV splitter) and since then the signal is better on TV and signal strength as shown on the ISP modem, but the latency is now terrible.

dslreports.com test does not even do bufferbloat test anymore due to too high latency. on the idle signal test part i do not even register to germany, belgium or UK anymore, my best pings now are hongkong and Kuala Lumur and the like....

\about to give up gaming and selling my PS4...

What on earth?! How is that even possible. Something went terribly wrong there. You need to speak to your ISP and tell them your Internet is vital for work and that you can't do anything currently. That is absolutely insane. 

If they refuse then I think you should definitely consider switching internet providers.

Archived