Sam Knows! whitebox question

I recently signed myself up for the nationwide bandwidth monitoring thing by ofcom through the sam knows website. I got my whitebox today and although i think i have set it up correctly inbetween my talk talk router (modem only mode) and my netduma router.

I seem to keep losing internet, the only way i can get it to return is by rebooting the netduma to which i get internet back for about 20-30mins and then it cuts out again!

Is it possible that the netduma is blocking the Sam knows whitebox? thus cutting off internet connection to itself from the modem?

Okay no worries, it does say that in the instructions and to then plug all devices into the whitebox lan ports, i would have done that but surely that will bypass all the goodness of my netduma?? or do i leave everything else in the duma and just plug the sam knows into a spare Duma port?

I'm not familiar with it but I would do the latter. 

Could you provide the quick start guide and some screenshots? Then I may be able to advise further.

Well i followed up what Zen said and have placed the whitebox after the duma! So far so good, no more outages Fraser :) Thanks for the offer though ;)

Take all Ethernet cables out of the duma and put them into the whitebox acting like a AP does it have WiFI?

Modem > duma > Whitebox AP

As the instructions say it comes after your router and placing it before as you have found out does not work.

On a side note I wouldn't be introducing anything like this as gaming comes before helping Offcom who are not helping to us.

Take all Ethernet cables out of the duma and put them into the whitebox acting like a AP does it have WiFI?

Modem > duma > Whitebox AP

As the instructions say it comes after your router and placing it before as you have found out does not work.

On a side note I wouldn't be introducing anything like this as gaming comes before helping Offcom who are not helping to us.

I deffo get what your saying about gaming and agree. Its just that i don't really get what i pay for from talk talk and though the package is well priced in imo, it would be nice if i did lol.

I just thought this may help in some way to get it!

It was only a while ago and when i had a couple of days of outage and had a technician who lived locally and was also with talk talk that i found out why speeds are why they are. He basically said its because the exchange i am connected to is miles away and although there is a closer one, talk talk won't use it because of the amount of money it would cost them to setup connections there!

Basically i have set it up by connecting the Wan port on the whitebox to lan port 5 on the duma and i assume it must be working ok because i received an email saying they have detected the box. They also give you a website and login you can go to to check on performance!

You are on fibre so the technician is talking out of his a***

It is the copper distance from your home to the green cabinet in the street.

From the cab to the exchange is fibre and travels at the speed of light, where do they find these people lol.

I pay for 80/20 and get 55/17 but i realize I am over 400m from the cabinet so I am happy as these are the expected speeds for my copper length to the cab.

• Netduma Staff

I'm glad to hear it's working alright; let us know if you start having issues. We haven't currently tested the Whitebox with a Netduma, but it should work perfectly.

Archived