Got BO3 to cooperate, great connection for a day, went to crap afterwards. help!

I can fully agree with you on that. And yes I was the person you helped that day ;) Hopefully IW is the game that fixes it all. If they screw this up, COD is definitely going to die within the next year or two. Sadly BO3 is done for :( I wish they could've fixed the problem much sooner, because if they would've fixed the problem, BO3 probably wouldve been just as good as BO2 was, which is my favorite COD. Thanks for all of the help guys, sadly knowing now that theres nothing I can do at the moment. Is there anything else someone needs to tell me, or any other advice that might help me out, or is this it (meaning that there's nothing I can do to fix the problem and to just live with it as it is)?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Infinite warfare beta drops Oct. Leaked rumor. But I'm honestly thinking late Sept. Was August for Bo 3 last year. Just wait n see. Duma router update, so far saying fall I read from tech. But all that matters with that to me is using the geo filter to fullest. To me it's still beta. Pushed out there for us to buy the router for that. But not fully utilized. But makes me wonder if they will keep it as is so people don't exploit it. Or let us exploit it to our preferences. We will see.

but when I first bought it, it definitely worked for the older cods I'll be fully honest. Just not for the new ones. When Netduma releases their new update coming soon, I can definitely see a huge difference in the gaming community including the performance that the router will have after this update. Hopefully it comes out soon. Now, the beta for the router comes out in october or are we talking about the Infinite Warfare beta? you probably mean the Duma.

The dedicated servers certainly didn't help the Netduma - BO3 on Xbox One only has the Irish bank of dedis for Europe. There's nothing Netduma can do about that. Obviously we can force P2P but as the dedis let anyone into the lobbies, P2P plays terribly.

Must mean the beta for Infinite Warfare, we haven't been told when we'll be testing the new Netduma firmware yet. I definitely haven't been told yet anyway.

Oneeeeeee last question. I have two routers connected to my modem. Duma is wired and Apple is wireless, why are the things that are wireless connecting to the duma? I feel thats another reason the connection is crazy. Playing cod now and everything is fine, but when my father is home everything isnt as good. Shouldn't the devices that are wireless to the apple NOT show up on the duma's congestion control? plus since they are two separate routers, shouldnt his stuff NOT interfere with my router?

I can fully agree with you on that. And yes I was the person you helped that day ;) Hopefully IW is the game that fixes it all. If they screw this up, COD is definitely going to die within the next year or two. Sadly BO3 is done for :( I wish they could've fixed the problem much sooner, because if they would've fixed the problem, BO3 probably wouldve been just as good as BO2 was, which is my favorite COD. Thanks for all of the help guys, sadly knowing now that theres nothing I can do at the moment. Is there anything else someone needs to tell me, or any other advice that might help me out, or is this it (meaning that there's nothing I can do to fix the problem and to just live with it as it is)?

CoD, in some form, will live forever!

Although I keep saying BO3 is dying it's not completely dead, so don't give up, just be aware that one game may well play completely differently from the previous game and know when to jump lobby and try another.

Some days I will give up after 30 mins of finding nothing that plays well but other days I will get on and play 2 hours of great lobbies start to finish - then I stop for a cup of tea and find it's terrible after that!

But you're moving house so you might discover that it everything plays amazingly after that - hopefully not worse! Your location will different, your connection will be different, keep your fingers crossed.

If you want to post your current settings up then we'll have another look of course, in case you've changed something or something is not quite right.

If it makes you feel better (it won't), I'm just 'living with it' as far as BO3 is concerned, I know that my connection is fine now and I know that a lot of people I shoot at have awful connections. It doesn't help me stay any calmer when I see a bullshit death but it stops me trying to fix a problem that isn't there and stressing about it so much.

Was latest patch a way for Activision to try and shutdown netduma users? Anyone thought of that?

Gimmick?

In what way? By changing a lot of the server IDs?

Yes since netduma is based off server Id's for geo filter to properly work.

I wouldn't have thought they'd bother, it seems like a lot of effort to go to when there are so few of us and we're not causing any problems to the game or servers or other players and we're not cheating or doing anything that harms the 'integrity' of the game and it's 'fabulous' matchmaking.

It is a bit of a pain in the arse though.

Oneeeeeee last question. I have two routers connected to my modem. Duma is wired and Apple is wireless, why are the things that are wireless connecting to the duma? I feel thats another reason the connection is crazy. Playing cod now and everything is fine, but when my father is home everything isnt as good. Shouldn't the devices that are wireless to the apple NOT show up on the duma's congestion control? plus since they are two separate routers, shouldnt his stuff NOT interfere with my router?

WOAH! Possible breakthrough moment. Bear in mind (disclaimer) that I'm not that technical in case I get this all wrong...

Are you saying that you have a modem (or hub) that has two routers connected to it simultaneously and independent from one another, in 'parallel' rather than in 'series' (they are NOT one after the other in a chain) !!? 

And that this modem (or hub) is also transmitting a wireless signal that one of the routers is connecting by. And then other devices connect to this Apple router so it's all outside of your Net Dumas congestion control?

If that's the case then this will almost definitely be severely f**king your shit up!

Disclaimer required for this part especially:

Even if nothing is currently connecting to the Apple router then I would expect it will be sending beacons periodically to your modem which could be causing issues.

As soon as something actually connects to that Apple router to use the internet is will cause spikes and all kinds of crapness.

Detail your setup please...

(I'm going to bed by the way so no rush, I'll check in tomorrow)

• Netduma Staff

Alright. Here's a good question then, two of them. 

When does the new update for Netduma come out? When it comes out, will it fix the problem for BO3 or will it be too late meaning that Infinite Warfare will already be released by the time Netduma updates their router? Will the update fix most of the problems that everyone is facing?

The official release date is Autumn. The Netduma, as a router, is probably only going to get you low pings. It's a networking device therefore can't magically make a game play better.

Was latest patch a way for Activision to try and shutdown netduma users? Anyone thought of that?

Gimmick?

Almost certainly not. The Netduma has a database of all IP geo-locations so even if the IPs were changed, the Netduma would still know where it was located.

Colonic, 

Here is the setup: Modem>Duma(wired connection wireless off)>Apple Router (bridge wireless)

He isn't home and the connection is absolutely amazing the past couple games. My father streams videos, plays clash of clans, his computer runs stuff, all that. The duma says that the wireless devices that should be on the apple router are somehow appearing on the duma CC for some reason. Does that make sense or should that not be happening? Does this mean that my father is the reason that the connection is bad?

Is the modem JUST a modem, or is it a hub supplied by your ISP with it's own wifi?

Is the Netduma the only thing connected to the modem and is it connected with an ethernet cable?

Is the Duma wifi turned off completely and the Apple router is connected to the Duma with an ethernet cable?

Do ALL wireless devices connect to the Apple router?

The modem is just a modem i paid for, not given to me by the isp. not with wifi

the netduma is the only thing connected to the modem. All wired devices are connected to the duma (computer, ps4, xbox)

Duma wifi is turned off and only will work with wired devices. Apple router is set as a bridge and works only with the wireless devices. Apple router is connected to duma with an ethernet cable.

Yes, all wireless devices connect to the apple router.

Where is my problem from your honest opinion?

That's fine then, that's how I have mine set up (I just have a different router as a wireless access point).

I just misunderstood your setup before.

I think the devices that are connected to the Apple router are showing up as devices on the Netduma because the Netduma is acting as the DHCP (determining the individual IPs for the devices). The fact that they are showing up on the Netduma is a good thing and means that they are all under your control as far as congestion control is concerned.

When your Dad isn't home do you leave the anti-flood at 100% and then change it when he gets home to prevent flooding?

And do you reboot your Netduma when you make a change like this?

Or do you always game at 70/70 regardless of whether anyone is home?

I always game at 70/70, even if nobody is home, just in case any of my devices send random signals to the Netduma (phone fetching emails, receiving texts over wifi, etc).

A couple of days ago I was uploading 500+ files (2gb total) and then decided I'd play some BO3.

I changed the anti-flood 'on-the-fly' and added Xbox to hyper-lane but found it was not efficient at controlling the spikes and my gaming was laggy.

I checked it with Ping Plotter and could see huge lag spikes.

I turned off the Xbox, paused the upload, set the anti-flood at 70/70, checked Xbox was in hyper-lane, rebooted the Netduma, turned the Xbox back on and restarted the upload.

It completely controlled the lag spikes, the upload carried on (a bit slower obviously) but my gaming was buttery smooth.

I tested this with Ping Plotter to confirm that the spikes in my connection were being controlled.

I don't know if it's necessary but I would recommend you reboot your Netduma if you make settings changes before you start gaming.

I adjust the cc with DSLReports so the numbers are gonna be a little weird. 65 down, 40 up. I usually dont ever change it to 100/100, I always keep it as whatever is gonna give me A+ for perfect gaming. 

• Administrators

I would suggest posting the screenshots from here http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022425-lag-support-instructions-to-post-on-the-forum-and then we can try to optimise your settings as much as possible. Otherwise I'm happy to do a quick 1 on 1 with you if you post in the 1 on 1 section.

This may or may not work for you, but I have had a very consistent and reliable connection(even lately). I had at&t out to wire my router directly from the service box, this ruled out all possibilities of bad house wiring/anything on my end. I know that at least to my isp router my connection is 100%. When I first got my duma, I was endlessly tinkering with it doing ping plotter bufferbloat tests, all that crap, that I have found to be much more trouble than it is worth. I did a factory reset on my duma, set up basic settings, and cod ultimate profile and 70/70 cc, and forget about it, the only time I ever mess with it is if I want to move my home location. Not all games are 100% but I'd say at least 90% of my games have great hit detection.

Well I think I "mightve" figured out my problem.

I did some tests on my own, and found out that for some reason, which i dont think this happened in the past, When I am home alone and the only thing using the internet is my ps4, everything seems to work fine. But when my father is home streaming stuff on his iPad and playing CoC all night, The game lags more than ever, which most of the time this happens on the weekend. I dont know for a fact that this was the reason since i just switched the settings and stuff, but I think that was the problem, which was everything messing with the connection. If I do ever run into any other issues, I will definitely come back to figure this out

Big Dog

I'm not blaming the duma whatsoever, I love my duma more than anything ive probably ever owned. Yes, all settings work differently for everyone, but what my point is, is that no matter what settings I use, like for example using that video, It helps for 24 hours or less and then everything goes nuts afterwards. 

I pay for highest speeds for my isp which is optimum's Ultra (101 MBPS) the modem I use is an Arris Surfboard SB6141. Like I said I have cable (Optimum)

I think it's definitely an ISP issue, but again the connections and settings should not be working only for 24 hours or less and then everything stops working the way it should. It does it on every cod that i play, which again means it's an ISP issue. But at the moment I cannot fix that. I made this post to see if there's any way to fix that or to know if I'm completely F'ed until I move into my new house in september.

I have also factory reset the router numerous times with no positive conclusion, so I know for a fact that that might not be the answer.

I am so glad that I found this thread. It shows me that I am not the only one out there with this same issue! Monzo, what you have described is on point with what I have experienced over the past 3 years. Gaming is laggy as ****, and if you dare tinker around with the settings for a few hours it either makes it even worse or it only solves the problem for a matter of hours before the game magically decides that its time for you to lag once again.

I swear, I have gone through cycles where I fix the problem on my network, (the problem is fixed and lasts through multiple lobbies) and then all of a sudden the problem just magically reappears, and I changed absolutely nothing in my settings or network environment. Sometimes the fix lasts a day, just as you said. After years of troubleshooting the same network environment, I can confidently tell you that if what you are saying is true, you are definitely experiencing an isp issue. There is nothing that I have done over the years which has helped my connection permanently. I even had a tech guy from my ISP come out to my place and after like a half hour of testing he told me I had excellent connection and ping, and that my gaming experience should be very good.

Be glad that you get to move! I cant afford to move and I dont have a choice over isp. Its either dish satellite or century link for me, and century link certainly has a problem with me gaming from what I can see.

anyways, good luck, please let me know if you find a fix, because I think you and I are having the same lag issues. stay in touch, together, we may be able to help each other eliminate lag from our lives :)

Fraser, 

What do you mean is this disabled? little confused by the question.

Zombie, 

Yes Thats exactly what I deal with! The isp company (optishit) told me that my connection was great but did not understand my questions towards the gaming aspect of it and were no help to me whatsoever. I definitely do think it's an isp issue in my area and when I move it will be the same isp but just in a less populated area. 

It sounds like your dad is somehow being able to work around the CC settings on your duma,which would be an issue and cause lagging as he's basically bypassing the CC feature and that's a problem,it's just like not having the duma on your side and not functioning as it should.

Fraser, 

What do you mean is this disabled? little confused by the question.

Zombie, 

Yes Thats exactly what I deal with! The isp company (optishit) told me that my connection was great but did not understand my questions towards the gaming aspect of it and were no help to me whatsoever. I definitely do think it's an isp issue in my area and when I move it will be the same isp but just in a less populated area. 

get a new isp when you move, if your isp is acting like this then they arent going to fix the problem anytime soon, so get cable internet or something with speeds good enough to support gaming. :)

Archived