Another ISP Question

Ok, so within the next couple of months, I am finally moving into a house, not an apartment. I was told by the real estate guy that with this house, or any house for that matter (not sure if im wording this right so try to pay close attention if need be) that we are only connected to one internet, as in we are the only ones using our internet. He also said that in an apartment, you're usually connected to everyones internet because its an apartment complex, meaning that everything is wired to everybody else. So here's my question. If you understood what i meant, and if that's true where nobody would be able to interfere with my internet except for my father when he's home, does this mean that sticking with my cable is not gonna be a problem for me like it is now? I have no options except to stick with optimum, plus with the modem I have, things should be a lot better. Will this help me a lot with the gaming part of my problem if what he said is true? Dilinger this is kind of for you, or Fraser, who ever is available.

Really? I was told that that's not the case, they were saying that our wires were different than the other houses or something. Cause he told me that when you're in a house, the internet acts different than if you live in an apartment complex.

Ok, read the passage. So basically, even if I'm living in a house by myself, I'm gonna see no difference? Because it seemed like when living in an apartment, all the houses were connected in some way, and optimum went through all the houses around me, which in a couple months that wont be the case anymore. It'll just be my father and I in a regular house that actually has no one that close to me, its not vacant, theres houses around but they aren't too close. So being in a house won't make a difference in my connection in any way?

So even if i live in a house, you're basically saying that my connection is still not going to be good? Even if i live in a different area than where I was before? Is there a way I can tag Dilinger into the conversation? I'd like his opinion too, I trust him because he's worked with stuff like this before.

You may have a perfect line when you move , you were told that you would not be sharing bandwidth and asked if this was true, re my above posts :)

I would suggest to anyone that games to either use fibre or DSL for gaming.

I am sure JD will be about in the next couple of days.

• Administrators

Your connection may be better, it won't necessarily be as bad as it is now. You may have a lower base ping/more stable connection. You won't know until you get there. It is likely that you may still experience slow downs during peak times but you'll have to see.

Is that possible to have both? I've never heard of that.

Yes,Monzo it is possible to have both I know this because both JD and I went this route.We both have cable for the rest of our house and ADSL for a dedicated gaming line i.e. all we do is game on that ISP.

And the reason was due to the fact that cable is shit when it comes to stability for gaming,was to much jitter due to node overload which is a very common problem with cable.And is caused by the cable companies over saturating (over selling) in neighborhoods.And I'm sorry that you were told that you would have basically be the only one using your internet as that's just an outright lie.All cable is shared and your all connected into your particular hub with all your neighbors and what they do will effect what you do.This is very noticeable when the big sporting events are on,I noticed my connection will go to complete shit for gaming,jitter thru the roof.

And my solution was to keep my current ISP for the speeds for the rest of the house,as I live in a 4000 square foot home with 3 levels and the speeds with the DSL just wouldn't cut it.So the solution was to get a DSL line from another provider and use it for only gaming.And I have to be honest it made a big difference in the stability of my line,it's just a flat line on the graph now,no spikes and basically zero jitter.

There are several guys on here that went that route,I think I was the test dummy of the group and after I reported my results back to JD as he is my boy and we talk a lot he decided to give it a try also as he had the same issue.I also believe Alex did this also.But if you have the means and your cable line is shit,then it might be something you want to look into.

From my understand, cable is coax supplied while dsl is phone line right?

Yes and no Ed,I don't have JD's knowledge on the cable info but have picked up quite a bit from him in regards to how the whole process works with cable.

And yes DSL was / is phone line but you don't have to have existing phone service to get the internet,just a phone line run to your home.Really pretty simple and nice for people who don't want a home phone (me) but want the DSL internet.

ok, thanks Zennon. I hope Dillinger comes on soon, I'd like to hear his opinion as well

Mono...I'll text JD and let him know about this thread so he can respond... :D

Morning/Afternoon guys - Sorry I am late to the party.

Okay, looks like we have a couple of questions here, so let me start with where I think this was going.

An apartment, or Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) is probably the worst of the worst when it comes to combined signals and noise from a Cable TV perspective.  Usually there is a main feed to a set of line taps and from there it feeds several splitters in apartment boxes on the units themselves.  Because the port to port isolation is not as strong on splitters, these types of dwellings ALWAYS have a lot of noise and crap from an FCC Testing perspective.

Now what your real estate guy is talking about is that you won't have other units connected to the line that feeds YOUR NEW HOUSE.  This in NO WAY stops the signals from all the houses around you from being combined out on the road, but they will be combined with better isolation.  So while he is technically correct, all this does is move the point where the signals combine, IT DOES NOT ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM.

Caveats:  If the neighborhood is brand new, and the cable plant is all brand new, with very few customers, it would be better than most.  But this condition will ONLY last until all the homes are sold and everyone signs up, as you stated they are the only option.  

Cable TV works on a combined signal format.  The signals in the broadcast, or downstream, are all stacked neatly on top of each other in either 6Mhz or 10Mhz blocks.  The return path or upstream, from your house or apt, is combined with all the other houses on your street or in your neighborhood, but they have to share about 45mhz of dedicated space.  

While the downstream is pretty effective and can be easily kept in check, the upstream is a live wire of variables.  The more people with cable, the more sources for noise and shit on the line.  The more people using the internet in those homes, the more potential for more noise.  The more people that did DIY wiring for the kids' room, or hit their line with a shovel working in the yard and fixed it themselves, the greater the chance for more noise.

Basically the model design itself is shit for gaming.  It's terribly effective for making money off land locked "customers" - but for gaming it's just a terrible design.

DSL/ADSL - The standard Digital Subscriber Line is based on Twisted Pair phone lines.  This has better isolation but also can not transmit very high speeds.  ADSL is a modified variant where they put a fiber backbone in, and then cut existing DSL service areas down to small pockets called "Nodes".  This creates a much smaller customer base per area and minimizes some of the problems of over saturation (selling it to too many customers - CABLE TV model) so the overall line quality, in terms of noise and shit, is much better on average.

ADSL is slightly faster than DSL as it offers a high speed, fiber backbone, but it will never be able to match Cable TV in terms of speed and bandwidth.

In terms of gaming:

Best bet would be Fiber to the Home.  This will give you the cleanest lines and the fastest speeds for the rest of the house to use.

Fiber to the Curb would be next.  This is a step down from FTTH, but not by much.  Slight chance of noise/shit, but overall a pretty small risk.  Still really high speeds for the house to use.

Then probably ADSL.  Good isolation and line quality.  Speeds are pretty pathetic by today's standards.  I have an ADSL line with their top package, because there was zero price difference between the middle package and the high end, and I get 40d/5u.  For my gaming needs this is overkill, but the different between this and my Cable line was NIGHT AND DAY.

Then DSL.  Speeds are going to suffer and the distance you can get from the hub is pretty restrictive.  Line quality is going to be above Cable, but not near what ADSL or the others' can provide.

And then a wide gap

And then Cable TV.  Which is slightly ahead of pouring your 1's and 0's into a messenger bag and giving it to the Pony Express.  But not by much.

Does that help?

Is that possible to have both? I've never heard of that.

Yes.  The Cable company provides one line that I use for the rest of the house.  The Phone company provides another completely different line that I have running just to my game room.  I have the Wifi off and use the ADSL line just for my gaming and the forum/laptop stuff.

JD to the rescue,nice understandable explanation of the situation... :D

I'm starting to feel like your secretary,giving you messages from the forum.I'm thinking a raise is in order... ;)

Yes that helps a lot. My father claims that because the house is going to be rewired with cable and stuff like that, we might have a better chance of seeing improvement. But I will give it a week or two of testing to see if there might be a difference since we are moving to a new area and theres not many houses by us. If the problem is not fixed or with no improvement, I might jsut decide to go for ADSL. Question is, How much is ADSL a month or in general and who provides it? 

Archived