Anyone care to look at my PingPlotter results?

FQs19

For the past couple months I've been having a terrible time playing any online game.

I believe it is from jitter. I'm in the Philadelphia region with Comcast 150/10 internet which is actually 180/12.

My Netduma is first after my Netgear CM600 modem.

I'm on the latest firmware 1.03.6g.

Congestion control is 70 down 90 up with share excess ticked.  

Consoles are wired to the Netduma with Open NAT.

I've run two PingPlotter tests for 24hrs each. 

There is no heavy internet usage during the test. Just me playing BO3 on the PS4 for a couple hours each test. 

I was at work from 5pm to 6am each night during the tests.

Below are the results. 

If anyone could take a look at them and give me suggestions as to what to do next, I would appreciate it.

I've already had techs come out and replace the drop and splitters, check for noise on my line, and had him ask to have my neighborhood checked by their network team. 

Nothing has helped. 

Not sure who else I could bug about the problem.

From my perspective, I have a serious issues with the first and second hops, which means it is a local issue and anything I do online will be affected. 

1468264911-U1511.jpg

1468264938-U1511.jpg

1468264959-U1511.jpg

Here are the .pp2 files for closer inspection:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AQt2zYNTaMMVZhLXFDU3F2UDg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AQt2zYNTaMZGJ5Zi1aSm5QQkU/view?usp=sharing

Every thing looks fine.

Do not worry about the jitter on any hop but the destination (round trip)

I am quite surprised if this is cable?

Every thing looks fine.

Do not worry about the jitter on any hop but the destination (round trip)

I am quite surprised if this is cable?

Thanks Zennon I appreciate you looking. 

It is cable, but I've had techs visit about 20 times in last 12 months. 

Actually made good friends with a couple and they all agree that my lines can't get any better. 

My power levels are actually too high since I'm only 10ft from the drop on the telephone pole next to my house. 

Here are my power levels with a 3.5db attenuator before my modem. 

1468266244-U1511.jpg

You are very lucky having a steady ping.

have a read of this post I made, is this the problem you are seeing if so don't worry we all do.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/16893-new-router/page-2?do=findComment&comment=114177

Yup. That is exactly my problem. 

I thought it was me. 

There are so many people in my lobbies like this. Which is why I thought it was me. 

Use it to your advantage, look at their gamer tag then try to shoot them from medium range where you have a great advantage as you will not get any judder.

When they jitter they disappear for so many milliseconds they can not shoot bullets during this time but you can ;)

Use it to your advantage, look at their gamer tag then try to shoot them from medium range where you have a great advantage as you will not get any judder.

When they jitter they disappear for so many milliseconds they can not shoot bullets during this time but you can ;)

Tough for me to do since I run and gun all the time. Guess I'll try and switch up my play style a little. 

Thanks for the tips. 

Yeah I run and gun too, if I die to a jittery player during the close encounter I try to think where would he/she be now stop and wait for him/her  to start to travel into the next area and do them.

Your ping results are actually perfect...  With that said, I'm about 30 minutes from you and I wish I had that flat of a line on comcast. I've been having a problem with the route between me and the NJ servers going through a bad hop and causing loads of jitter at peak times.

Your ping results are actually perfect...  With that said, I'm about 30 minutes from you and I wish I had that flat of a line on comcast. I've been having a problem with the route between me and the NJ servers going through a bad hop and causing loads of jitter at peak times.

Yeah i get spikes on my first two hops as well. 

But like Zennon said, only the end hop matters. 

Just wish Comcast would stop increasing their speeds and just focus on increasing their capacity. 

Yeah i get spikes on my first two hops as well. 

But like Zennon said, only the end hop matters. 

Just wish Comcast would stop increasing their speeds and just focus on increasing their capacity. 

Talk to them on twitter. I've done it and they fixed both issues but it takes a bit to get high enough in the ranks to talk to someone who knows what you're talking about.

Also, your downstream power levels are a little high for my personal preference of +-5db or less

Yes mod box I am very surprised to see such a steady ping on cable.

I am starting to think that the power levels are correct like that it that alone has fixed the jitter, maybe having a bit more power has helped and the rating they say you should have are wrong maybe.

I would agree that is pretty solid for cable,Charter should take some tips from Comcast

Yes it is the first cable ping plotter results I have seen that are very stable I am interested to see if it is the higher power that fixes this.

Are users able to change the settings on the attenuators ?

Yes it is the first cable ping plotter results I have seen that are very stable I am interested to see if it is the higher power that fixes this.

Are users able to change the settings on the attenuators ?

There are no settings to change on attenuators.

You put them on the coaxial cable to lower upstream power level but that raises the downstream power levels.

Ah ok thanks for the info.

Maybe different DB attenuator is the way to go to get a higher downstream power level for other cable users that don't have the level you have.

Or I might just be talking out my **** haha, just a theory :)

TWC has been moving to an all digital network throughout the country.  San Diego is one of the cities were it is currently being implemented.  As part of digital, everyone has to use digital boxes (no more analog).  They are also updating the backbone to accommodate all digital.  According to TWC, they can get much higher bandwidths by eliminating the analog and moving to purely digital.  Even though the houses are still running coax from the road to the house, I am curious to see how this will affect the jitter and congestion now.     For the past week, my host ping and been VERY solid (knocks on wood).  

TWC has been moving to all digital throughout the country. San Diego is one of the cities were it is currently being implemented. As part of digital, everyone has to use digital boxes (no more analog). They are also updating the backbone to accommodate all digital. According to TWC, they can get much higher bandwidths by eliminating the analog and moving to purely digital. Even though the houses are still running coax from the road to the house, I am curious to see how this will affect the jitter and congestion now. For the past week, my host ping and been VERY solid (knocks on wood).

We've been all digital for years.

The only reason you need a box is to decrypt the signal. You still use coax. Cable is still coax from the drop throughout.

According to TWC, they can get much higher bandwidths by eliminating the analog and moving to purely digital.  

I find it funny that this is news in 2016.  It was pretty evident to any of us working with the tech at the time that once you had plant that could safely pass the signals (no ingress, egress and the plant was properly balanced), digital was THE ONLY way to go.  It takes a wider bandwidth footprint, but it was far more stable, was corrupted at a far, far less rate for the "average" situation and had a wide threshold of being turned on and working for older neighborhoods we "rebuilt".

FQs19.  I come from an engineering background and IT degrees, so I fully understand that and evens stated it within my post.  While the technology has been out for years, the service lines and accommodations on the network still allowed customer to plug their cable directly into their TV without a cable box.  Therefore, TWC was having to keep a network that support both (analog non-decrypted and digital) and was not optimized for the best network.  A pure digital network means TWC can now restructure their network (i.e. outside my house) to better accommodate the network traffic, congestion and bandwidth allocation.  This should improve everyone's overall internet experience.  

I am hoping that my pingplotter results will look as good as your plots (fingers crossed).  

Dillinger: TWC has been very slow in rolling out anything.  I personally believe that the money hungry, monopoly based market was sitting arrogantly and only making changes as they are absolutely required.  I personally think that TWC is only doing this because of new competition from Google & Verizon fiber. Unfortunately, both are not available for my address (YET).  Google Fiber is in the planning stages for San Diego.  Once Google Fiber is available, TWC internet is gone and they can kiss my ass.

Dillinger: TWC has been very slow in rolling out anything.  I personally believe that the money hungry, monopoly based market was sitting arrogantly and only making changes as they are absolutely required.  I personally think that TWC is only doing this because of new competition from Google & Verizon fiber. Unfortunately, both are not available for my address (YET).  Google Fiber is in the planning stages for San Diego.  Once Google Fiber is available, TWC internet is gone and they can kiss my ass.

Edit:  SIDEBAR

I would say with about 96.75% certainty that you are spot on in your assumption.  ;)

Anyone ever heard of the Click Network in Tacoma, Washington?  It was a complete OVERBUILD of an existing TCI cable plant throughout the entire city.  

The reason:  Because TCI had some of the worst plant in our state, and possibly the West Coast.  It was HORRENDOUS and the people were paying ridiculous amounts in monthly charges for getting HALF, if they were lucky, of the promised channels.

The Tacoma power company, in a brilliant move, had an excess of power from Bonneville Dam during a time when California desperately needed it.  They sold it to them at a market rate and made a small fortune.  They then in turn poured about $100-$150mil of that into an over-build project.

The result: TCI in turn, recently purchased by AT&T, fired off a complete upgrade for the entire city of Tacoma.  I was lucky enough to get the lone lead tech position of the rebuild, so I got to hear all the reasons and the complaints and the plans from the upper echelon of local decision makers.  The project was supposed to cost like $8 mil to upgrade and we spent like $15mil by the time it was done.

I firmly believe the only reason that project ever came about was competition.  Now the Click network is a "failure" by any economic measuring device.  They had very little penetration of customers after the AT&T rebuild was complete and their existing subscriber base is a fraction of what Comcast (who purchased AT&T's cable division) has in monthly income.

However, for the end user, they got MUCH BETTER quality plant and in the end that is all we are hoping for here as consumers.

If you live somewhere with shit internet, sign up for Google Fiber and FiOS "customer interest surveys" and get your neighbors to do as as well.  Competition will force action because the cable TV model is ONLY FINANCIALLY VIABLE based on LONG-TERM customer subscriptions.  That is the reason for 1, 2 and 3 year "package" deals.  They don't want to let you off once they have you paying that monthly premium.

Good luck brother - I hope you get some great new plant out of the competition.

END SIDEBAR

Interesting side bar.  Thank you for sharing.   From a business perspective, most companies that first introduce a truly new product usually go out of business. However, the companies that improve on these new products usually are much more successful than the original product company.   

FQs19.  I come from an engineering background and IT degrees, so I fully understand that and evens stated it within my post.  While the technology has been out for years, the service lines and accommodations on the network still allowed customer to plug their cable directly into their TV without a cable box.  Therefore, TWC was having to keep a network that support both (analog non-decrypted and digital) and was not optimized for the best network.  A pure digital network means TWC can now restructure their network (i.e. outside my house) to better accommodate the network traffic, congestion and bandwidth allocation.  This should improve everyone's overall internet experience.  

I am hoping that my pingplotter results will look as good as your plots (fingers crossed).  

I personally had better results when the network was analog. 

I have no IT background. So I'm sure all of you have a better understanding.

I only speak from what I can see and what I've been told though forums and techs who visit my house. (Yes some Techs don't know shit but you can tell the ones that do know)

I just believe, that in my area, there are too many clients for the network. Congestion along with traffic shaping and huge buffers are causing loads of jitter. 

I really hope Docsis 3.1 rolls out soon. I've heard that its traffic shaping is so much better. 

But again I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

I just want to play a game for an hour without hassle. 

The Philadelphia region will NEVER see Google Fiber. 

Comcast will never allow that to happen on their home turf.

Comcast promised the city that they would allow Verizon to roll-out Fios to the whole city. 

That still has not happened. I can't say that Comcast was blocking Verizon. Maybe they just ran out of money to build the infrastructure. 

I just know that it will be decades before I have an option for cable and internet. 

Right now, Comcast is my only choice for internet. 

Archived