Unusual setup. Looking for advice...

I thought you are gaming wired from the access point router gman?

I am! From my PC wired to the Netgear (in same room & is also used as a wireless access point for back of house) wired to the R1 wired (obviously) to the HH5 then on to interweb goodness!

My daughters PC upstairs is connected to the R1 wirelessly at the moment with my sons PC wired to the R1.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How you finding the router with a few on your network?

The congestion control has been a good send on my network no more shouting "are you on YouTube I am juddering round the map, turn it off" haha

How you finding the router with a few on your network?

The congestion control has been a good send on my network no more shouting "are you on YouTube I am juddering round the map, turn it off" haha

I have been on nightshifts all this week & so haven't really had a chance to evaluate the performance & tweak any settings accordingly. Having said no one in the house has complained about access etc.

My main priority was to get the R1 to play nicely with the HH5 or maybe that should be get the HH5 to play nicely with the R1! lol With a little tweaking & much guidance from you R1 gurus it was pretty much plain sailing. I have played only 2/3 games of AW as an experiment with just the suggested settings & there was a noticeable improvement.

Having 10 days off from tomorrow morning I will be able to make a more robust analysis of everything.

I can report that the VPN side of things in tandem with "HideMyAss" on the R1 works flawlessly as I do a fair amount of downloading. As an aside, will you be supporting any other VPN's other than HMA?

The modem I need to get for the cabinet I connect to, Huawei 96/128 FTTC cabinet, would be a "BT OpenReach Huawei HG612 EchoLife Fibre to Cabinet Modem". Is this correct?

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OpenReach-Huawei-HG612-EchoLife-Fibre-to-Cabinet-Modem-UNLOCKED-/271847664403

Obviously, looking at prices on Ebay, the "locked" modems are cheaper at anything upto £20 & the "unlocked" versions being priced in excess of £35. Just thinking ahead as I think Raddy is having a problem locating one for me, not that there's any rush at the moment.

How easy/difficult is it to unlock a stock modem?

A hg612 3b is the latest it is easy to flash if u need stats

Change ur net adaptors ip and set a dns hold the reset button as it boots and flash

I can send a guide and fw if needs be

The modem I need to get for the cabinet I connect to, Huawei 96/128 FTTC cabinet, would be a "BT OpenReach Huawei HG612 EchoLife Fibre to Cabinet Modem". Is this correct?

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OpenReach-Huawei-HG612-EchoLife-Fibre-to-Cabinet-Modem-UNLOCKED-/271847664403

Obviously, looking at prices on Ebay, the "locked" modems are cheaper at anything upto £20 & the "unlocked" versions being priced in excess of £35. Just thinking ahead as I think Raddy is having a problem locating one for me, not that there's any rush at the moment.

How easy/difficult is it to unlock a stock modem?

You only really need to put a CFW on if you want to mess with some stuff like SNR and things, you wont relly get a major speed increase having it flashed.  I think i got 1-2 mb more once i opened the GUI.

You only really need to put a CFW on if you want to mess with some stuff like SNR and things, you wont relly get a major speed increase having it flashed.  I think i got 1-2 mb more once i opened the GUI.

The only thing I want to try & achieve is to simplify my "unusual" setup & since the general consensus on these forums is to use a BT Openreach router connected to the R1, then that's what I'm looking at doing.

CFW? SNR? Right over my head! lol

Am I reading you correct , if you're a serial tweaker then an unlocked modem is the way to go but if you're not then a vanilla modem will do the job?

• Administrators

I would say R1 lease is better as less chance of conflict. In fact I'd say keep it dynamic it unless you need to port forward, in most instances UPnP will mean port forwarding is not needed.

Guys, just thought I'd update you with the latest on my "Unusual" setup...

As you are aware I connected my R1 to my HH5 with, surprisingly, little fuss despite what various forums on the interwebs stated! Long story short, all worked fine with some minor tweaking here & there acting on the advice of the Netduma crew & various Gurus on these forums. I decided to take the plunge & order an Huawei HG612 unlocked modem as I hadn't heard from Raddy & his lost modem lol, no offence meant my friend. Said modem duly arrived.

All excited at the prospect of the internet goodness about to spring forth. Installed it as per guide by Iain.....waited.....waited.....checked connections. Correct leads in correct holes, all good. Reboot modem hmmmm still no joy. Whatever I did, the "DSL" led on the modem just wouldn't light up. Double checked the "PPPoE" login details on the R1, all correct & then went for a cuppa & a fag leaving the modem to it's own devices for 20 mins to see if it would spring to life.Pfft, nada! After that I plugged the good old HH5 back in & all was well with the world again....for now.

Did some more research on the interwebs & found out that although I connect to a Huawei cabinet it doesn't necessarily mean there is Huawei furniture in there (I think that's the term they used). With that in mind I ordered a bog standard ECI b-focus modem. That duly arrived today & what do you know, installed it & 2 minutes later whoila! All good. Everything flying here now.

Apparently it's a common theme having an ECI modem connected upto a Huawei cabinet! Typical BT!!!

Guys, just thought I'd update you with the latest on my "Unusual" setup...

As you are aware I connected my R1 to my HH5 with, surprisingly, little fuss despite what various forums on the interwebs stated! Long story short, all worked fine with some minor tweaking here & there acting on the advice of the Netduma crew & various Gurus on these forums. I decided to take the plunge & order an Huawei HG612 unlocked modem as I hadn't heard from Raddy & his lost modem lol, no offence meant my friend. Said modem duly arrived.

All excited at the prospect of the internet goodness about to spring forth. Installed it as per guide by Iain.....waited.....waited.....checked connections. Correct leads in correct holes, all good. Reboot modem hmmmm still no joy. Whatever I did, the "DSL" led on the modem just wouldn't light up. Double checked the "PPPoE" login details on the R1, all correct & then went for a cuppa & a fag leaving the modem to it's own devices for 20 mins to see if it would spring to life.Pfft, nada! After that I plugged the good old HH5 back in & all was well with the world again....for now.

Did some more research on the interwebs & found out that although I connect to a Huawei cabinet it doesn't necessarily mean there is Huawei furniture in there (I think that's the term they used). With that in mind I ordered a bog standard ECI b-focus modem. That duly arrived today & what do you know, installed it & 2 minutes later whoila! All good. Everything flying here now.

Apparently it's a common theme having an ECI modem connected upto a Huawei cabinet! Typical BT!!!

I did say it don't need to match, i have a brand new boxed ECI one here. I would of let you have - p+p. Check this out if your Interested https://huaweihg612hacking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf

I'd say your unlocked hg612 doesn't have the required firmware if your cabinet is gnip enabled.

If cabinet is gnip enabled and you are on Eci, you'll force yourself onto interleaving. Do you know what your pings were with the HH5 before you changed out?

Both will would work on any cab so why the Huawei did not would say to me it was a dud

Yes you do need to match because of G.inp on a Huawei cab you will get heavlly interleaved if you do not have a G.inp capable modem and the ECI is not fully compatable on the upload and download stream.

We suggested a hg612 because of this, an ECI will work but your latency will be affected.

Zennon, if I'm not mistaken there is actually a firmware which will sync but not connect to internet on the modem which was my initial thought as to why he couldn't get online with hg612.

Might be unrelated who knows.

Right i have not heard of this i know my older firmware on the Huawei would sync but interleaving was enabled and my pings were 32ms once i had updated to the latest they dropped back to 16ms.

Do you have a link Buds?

I don't Zennon. Was on a big TBB thread just after Gnip was beginning roll out. I only read it in passing so didn't see if it was tied to a specific firmware etc.

Good the unlocked firmware was ok though on yours. Maybe just the standard firmware or an isolated case (with a different reason)?

Maybe mate , sorry for the late reply i have been out at my mates birthday , just got in , yes its only half 12 but 'im getting past it lol.

Archived