Unusual setup. Looking for advice...

Hi guys, first time poster to the forums. I am seriously looking into buying one of these bad boys but before I do could you please advise me on the best set up with the R1 for the following...

This is my setup at the moment. I have BT Infinity 2 FTTC, 76 down, 19 up. My spare room has my PC which is connected to a NETGEAR Modem/Router DGN2200v3 (wired) also in the same room.This is connected to my Homehub 5 (wired) in the living room. I have wireless enabled on both. My daughters PC upstairs connects to the Homehub by wireless. Also upstairs in another room my sons PC is wired to the Homehub. I also have an old laptop which I use to watch movies on in my bedroom which connects to the Netgear wireless. If it makes any difference there is a plethora of mobiles & a couple of tablets that connect intermitantly & last but by no means least my Sky box is connected wirelessly to the Homehub.

I have the Netgear in my room as it's very convenient for working on other peoples rigs & connecting to the internet if that makes sense. Believe it or not this all works flawlessly.

I have read quite a few posts on the forums but have not found any with 2 router/modems on a network. Your advice will be greatly received!

Also, a big thankyou to Luke for sorting out my email validation! ;-)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, first time poster to the forums. I am seriously looking into buying one of these bad boys but before I do could you please advise me on the best set up with the R1 for the following...

This is my setup at the moment. I have BT Infinity 2 FTTC, 76 down, 19 up. My spare room has my PC which is connected to a NETGEAR Modem/Router DGN2200v3 (wired) also in the same room.This is connected to my Homehub 5 (wired) in the living room. I have wireless enabled on both. My daughters PC upstairs connects to the Homehub by wireless. Also upstairs in another room my sons PC is wired to the Homehub. I also have an old laptop which I use to watch movies on in my bedroom which connects to the Netgear wireless. If it makes any difference there is a plethora of mobiles & a couple of tablets that connect intermitantly & last but by no means least my Sky box is connected wirelessly to the Homehub.

I have the Netgear in my room as it's very convenient for working on other peoples rigs & connecting to the internet if that makes sense. Believe it or not this all works flawlessly.

I have read quite a few posts on the forums but have not found any with 2 router/modems on a network. Your advice will be greatly received!

Also, a big thankyou to Luke for sorting out my email validation! ;-)

So your Netgear is connected via Ethernet to your HH ? if so you can just remove the Netgear and replace it with the Netduma. Then you can connect everything how you had it before but. if your other devices are connected to you HH you will be avoiding the CC on the Duma which is one of its magic features. I just run everything through my Duma now, that way i can control every thing with the CC. Im not an expert on this so im sure Crossy or Zennon will answer when they get on as they are great with this stuff. 

You could even leave the HH out of this and go straight to the duma , it has a really strong wifi signal and this way like Raddy says you would be using the dumas congestion control on all the wifi devices, which is what you need to be doing with a household that uses bandwidth while you game.

It will just be the case of you putting your bt loggin and pass into the duma in setttings / wan / pppoe.

I have a friend who is with Bt with the duma its loging as normal and capital letters BT for the pass :)

Replace the HH5 with the netduma (may need an openreach modem off ebay if you don't already have one - £20 or less last time I looked) and continue to use the Netgear as a wireless access point / switch if required.

That way you have the netduma controlling full connection for congestion control etc.

I have like 3 of those BT modems 2 with custom firmware, have no use for them anymore.

@Raddy - I may give you a shout on taking 1 of those modems off you if I'm reading you right! lol

@Zennon - I read on several posts with ref to the HH5 that the general consensus is to turn the HH5 wireless off (opt out of BT FON?) & basically just use it as a modem with the R1 connected to it by ethernet & then everything else will connect to the R1. Any reason why this won't work?

I will look at getting a modem after testing the R1 with my setup if it goes tits up lol

I dont think there is a dedicated modem mode from what i am reading on the bt forum
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Home-Hub-5-as-Modem-Only/td-p/1210903

If other users just use it as a modem/router turn off the wifi and dmz the duma in the hh5 settings then you could try this before buying a hg612 or ECI modem (i recommend HG612 because of the G.INP roll out where ECI modems on a Hauwei cab are getting slammed by interleaving)

Thanks Zennon. Advice taken onboard.

On that BT forum 1 poster reccomended an Unlocked HG612 3B openreach modem without bt's software but all I can find are unlocked Huawei Echolife HG612 3B's. Good enough?

Just had a thought. Would it not be feasible to turn off wifi AND disable DHCP on the HH5 thereby reducing it to just a modem? Both options are available to enable/disable or is that just too easy. I bow to your superior knowledge guys. Just trying to get my head around it all!

On that BT forum 1 poster reccomended an Unlocked HG612 3B openreach modem without bt's software but all I can find are unlocked Huawei Echolife HG612 3B's. Good enough?

Before you get the HG612 ,I would consider what street cabinet you are using ,you may have an ECI cabinet on BT fibre,the best way is to go and check,that way you will get the optimal connection via the modem.also all the unlocked modem does is give you the option to check your line stats via telenet

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

Just had a thought. Would it not be feasible to turn off wifi AND disable DHCP on the HH5 thereby reducing it to just a modem? Both options are available to enable/disable or is that just too easy. I bow to your superior knowledge guys. Just trying to get my head around it all!

That is the same modem the unlocked modems cost alot more on ebay if you dont need to view stats just buy a locked one, i got one for £17 and unlocked it myself very easy to do.

But this is just if you want to, the HH5 to duma should be fine , i would leave dhcp on :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sorry bit late to the thread. These guys have more experience with BT so can probably assist more than I can. 

What struck me though is you have two modems, does that mean you have two lines? 

Yep, read about that previously,however that is the good thing about the unlocked modem as you can read the stats,this is not everywhere but BT are not doing a good job of remotely updating the firmware,I currently have both modems but use the ECI as that's my cabinet,no probs so far ...touch wood.... By the way new to the forum and waiting for my Netduma,some good helpful stuff on here.

Yep, read about that previously,however that is the good thing about the unlocked modem as you can read the stats,this is not everywhere but BT are not doing a good job of remotely updating the firmware,I currently have both modems but use the ECI as that's my cabinet,no probs so far ...touch wood.... By the way new to the forum and waiting for my Netduma,some good helpful stuff on here.

@Sharpz44 - Following that link you kindly supplied I went & had a look at the cabinet as it is approx 100 yards from my house. Apparently it's a Huawei 96/128 FTTC cabinet according to the pictures on that site.

@Zennon - Thanks for that

@Sharpz44 - Following that link you kindly supplied I went & had a look at the cabinet as it is approx 100 yards from my house. Apparently it's a Huawei 96/128 FTTC cabinet according to the pictures on that site.

That's really good to be close, just to give you an insight I have been gaming for years,and my equipment is high end to get the most from connection,vdsl does run on interleaved and fastpath via the dslam (your exchange)this will go to fastpath as long as you keep connected for a long time, as you have the ECI cab I would consider the same modem,also maybe buy two as these will not be used from sometime next year I believe,then you have a back up.bt are going self install with there fibre .

Also as the guys stated I would go this way, openreach modem>Netduma > everything else after that,you will get the full benefits then.

Sorry for long post

It posts twice guys if somebody else posted while you were writing and you press it post again thinking it has not worked , if you press post and nothing happens dont press post again just refresh to stop it from happening :)

He has the hauwei cab , i would deffo use the HG612 if you were to buy one as G.INP does error correction on the fly and no interleaving needed fast path all the time :)

Oops! apologies for double posting. Stupid GMAN013.

Sorry bit late to the thread. These guys have more experience with BT so can probably assist more than I can. 

What struck me though is you have two modems, does that mean you have two lines? 

@Iain - No just the 1 line! I have the Netgear in my room with my PC connecting to the HH5 in the living room by ethernet. Believe me this works perfectly & has done for the last 12 months or so.

He has the hauwei cab , i would deffo use the HG612 if you were to buy one as G.INP does error correction on the fly and no interleaving needed fast path all the time :)

Sorry my mistake, yes HG612 not ECI

When G.INP was enabled on my cab i have since seen a rise in sync speed of 7mb and fast path , bt did one thing right then messed up the pushing of firmware to ECI modems thinking all the engineers gave the right modems to customers to what cab they are on , yeah right  :)

Oops! apologies for double posting. Stupid GMAN013.

@Iain - No just the 1 line! I have the Netgear in my room with my PC connecting to the HH5 in the living room by ethernet. Believe me this works perfectly & has done for the last 12 months or so.

Yeah you are just using the second router as an access point and switch. It's a bit OTT other ways to do it but I i works for you then rock on :)

Definitely the HG612 for your cab and tbh, if you are considering a netduma then the extra £20 for the hg612 is worthwhile. The HH5 is a bit of funky unit and has been known to get borked by BT firmware updates. That's why I dropped mine and went with the modem.

Just don't forget once you get the netduma to grab the lastest firmware to give you PPPoE options (unless the shipped firmware is now changed?).

Archived