Unusual setup. Looking for advice...

Hi again guys, got the r1 yesterday, set it up as by the instructions in the box. It all worked with some minor glitches which I hope to clear up today bearing in mind my "unusual" setup as described in the OP.

Some general info:   SETUP: PC ---wired---> Netgear DGN2200v3 N300 router ---wired ---> NETDUMA r1 ---> HH5 ---> interwebs.

ADITIONAL NOTES: 1 wired PC & 1 wireless PC from upstairs also connected to the r1

This worked out of the box configured as above. R1 was put in a DMZ on the HH5 although all worked before I put it in a DMZ. The only difference was when NOT in a DMZ I had a "Moderate" NAT in CoD:AW. (Pre r1 my NAT was always "OPEN".)

As I said earlier, all works but I noticed a reduction in d/l speed of approx 20/30mb. Is there any settings I need to set on the WAN/LAN sections within the r1 setup pages or the HH5 for that matter or any other settings I will need to change?

On the "Select Game/Services" page, what setting do I need for my PC as I don't have a PS or xbox & i don't play any of the games in the list provided?!

I know it's not the ideal setup with the HH5 in the mix but i can only work with what I have for the time being. Hopefully Raddy will remedy this for me very soon ;-)

Any advice would be greatly received.

If your set is (SETUP: PC ---wired---> Netgear DGN2200v3 N300 router ---wired ---> NETDUMA r1 ---> HH5 ---> interwebs.) then shouldn't your R1 be in the DMZ of the Netgear ? also why do you need so many Routers. I would just go HH5---->Netduma---->Interebs/Console and put the Duma in the DMZ of the HH5, the wireless on the R1 is brilliant. I had a Asus which cost £180 and the Duma still gave better WIFI performance.  

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the Netgear is just a convenience for me. I have it in the same room with my PC as I do some maintenance on friend PC's etc & is easier just to hook up by ethernet to the Netgear & also I stream movies from the internet/PC on an old laptop in the bedroom. The signal is a lot stronger as the HH5 & r1 are in the front of the house with my bedroom at the back. Does that make sense?

R1 updated to latest firmware as recommended. ;)  when I originally set the r1 up yesterday I did bypass the Netgear just as an experiment & it made no concernable difference. :)

When I put the r1 in DMZ on HH5 do I use the WAN address from the "Device Manager" page? Just making sure I'm correct. I did it yesterday & it seemed to work ok.

Apologies for my ignorance & all the questions guys.

One other thing, my daughter & I play CoD:AW together so would I need to do any port forwarding. I did have port forwarding on when all hooked up to the HH5 ie 3074 UDP for my PC & 3075 for PC.

On the "Host Filtering" page I select my PC, click "Next" which takes you to a list of "Services" none of which apply to me so what do I do?

Yes thats correct , and have you unticked all the ipv6 in wan lan and misc and set your bandwidth?

Second post : i would try it without port forwarding first and see if you both have open Nat's then if there is a problem then you could forward :)

Third question : you select your PC from the select a service drop down menu.

Tick strict and peer ping set your home by clicking on the house tab and clicking on the map where you wish to be.

Set the geo size at which to search within and your ping assist to set the highest ping you would accept outside of the geo filter 0 set's it to off.

The netduma wiki has loads of info on the set up

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php

@Zennon - Yes all ipv6 boxes are UNTICKED. Bandwidth setting, do you mean real world setting or CC?

What about "Enable link-local ipv6" in Misc settings, ticked or unticked? Also "Enable upnp forwarding"?

Yes in the congestion control page click set bandwidth and put in your speed test results.

Untick link-local ipv6.

I use upnp forwarding as i have a two router set up and i prefer it over DMZ but the choice is yours.

@Iain - Before I do that I'm still confused about the device manager options. I click on "Select Service", select my PC, then what? None of the services offered in the list I don't use! Do I need to do anything in the "Advanced" tab maybe?

please excuse my ignorance here but reading the link you supplied, by "hard reboot" do you just mean just hit the "reboot button" in misc settings or power off then on?

One other thought. I have set static ip addresses on the 3 pc's that connect to the r1 ie they are set within windows not the r1. Is this ok or should I let the r1 assign the ip's?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Gman I think you're talking about the "Host Filtering" page. I meant the "Device Manager" page its on the left, you can click it.  At the top you'll see "WAN IP" and you can get the address from there. 

Sorry Iain, my bad. Think I have crossed wires here.

I can see all the devices in the "Device Manager" page. What I can't work out is the "Host Filtering" page. When I click on "Select Service" button I slect my PC, click next & select "Xbox Live", "Playstation Network" etc. What do I select for my PC as I don't have an xbox or playstation or anything else in that list. If I don't make a selection it won't appear & won't allow me to use the Geo Filter. Am i getting too hung up on this section & should just select anything other than xbox, playstation, wii?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok, just to be clear our buyers guide states that we don't support AW on the Geo-Filter for PC. BUT you're in luck quite a few people have made the same mistake and found that it does work if you select "Xbox Live" in the services. 

So pick your PC then pick "Xbox Live" and you should be sorted :) 

Superb! Thanks Iain, that's all I needed to know  :blink: I'll go give it a try! thanks for all the advice & apologies for being a pain in the arse today! Great bit of kit & great service. Keep up the great work  :D

Now I've had time to get my head around the R1 i would just like to thank the Netduma boys for an excellent bit of kit & great customer service. Haven't done any gaming yet as I'm on nightshifts this week but having a week off next week & will be making up for lost time then :)

Still waiting to hear back from Raddy ref the modem to replace my HH5 as this would be a better & simpler setup all around although the HH5, in my opinion, is not as bad as some would make out. The wireless can be switched off (whether you are opted in or not to BTFON) although there is no modem mode to speak of.

@Netduma gang - As you are aware I have 3 PC's that connect to the R1, 1 wireless & 2 wired. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in connecting any other wireless devices such as laptops, tablets, phones etc directly through the HH5 wireless or connect EVERYTHING through the R1 wireless?

Now I've had time to get my head around the R1 i would just like to thank the Netduma boys for an excellent bit of kit & great customer service. Haven't done any gaming yet as I'm on nightshifts this week but having a week off next week & will be making up for lost time then :)

Still waiting to hear back from Raddy ref the modem to replace my HH5 as this would be a better & simpler setup all around although the HH5, in my opinion, is not as bad as some would make out. The wireless can be switched off (whether you are opted in or not to BTFON) although there is no modem mode to speak of.

@Netduma gang - As you are aware I have 3 PC's that connect to the R1, 1 wireless & 2 wired. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in connecting any other wireless devices such as laptops, tablets, phones etc directly through the HH5 wireless or connect EVERYTHING through the R1 wireless?

M8 i have been in the loft myself but just cannot find the other modems, all i have found is a new boxed ECI one, i know i have other but for the life of me cannot find them. Gonna have a better look at the weekend as the wifes here so i can disappear in the loft longer :)

There is no rush Raddy. I appreciate your generosity & assistance. I know the feeling though, when you don't need them you see them all over the place & when you actually want them they mysteriously disappear! Damned pixies!!!

The advantage of having all wifi from the duma is the congestion control if set to 70% up and down while others are on the network you will see next to no increase in ping while others stream etc.

There is no reason to use any other device for wifi , i see other users using other routers for this and can not understand why they would :)

• Administrators

I agree with Zennon Macca

I'd only like to add one thing, any device that you game on I seriously recommend using wired of wifi if possible. 

Archived