How is this possible???

iAmMoDBoX

Okay so I join a gamebattles match last night and I'm pinging about 20ms to the host on my netduma. I thought "this is going to be a great match". I get into the game and I have a 3 bar... I look at the map and the host is in CALIFORNIA but I am in NEW JERSEY. Has this man figured out how to beat the speed of light?!

c0da414c8bf64866aa80f30bf2cd6f01.png

So I got his IP and decided to geo-locate it...

- removed as contains someones IP. It was a map showing location in Cali - 

Fraser can confirm that the ID matches the IP I got as well as the location. So what's going on here?! This has happened to me before, I always thought it was mislocation. But he admitted to being west coast and in California.

• Administrators

Hey, I removed the picture as that is someones actual IP address. I imagine what happened is the duma may not have been able to ping the actual IP and so tried to ping another IP on the same route as close as possible. 

Can't be sure obviously but definitely a weird one, haven't seen this before! Let me know if it happens again, I can investigate further.

Hey, I removed the picture as that is someones actual IP address. I imagine what happened is the duma may not have been able to ping the actual IP and so tried to ping another IP on the same route as close as possible. 

Can't be sure obviously but definitely a weird one, haven't seen this before! Let me know if it happens again, I can investigate further.

Happens a lot in private matches, mostly with people in california having <20ms ping to me

Was this at the beginning or during the whole match?  I play with friends as party leader and not using the geo-filter.  While I am in San Diego, California, the party leaders are typically on the east coast.   While in lobbies, I often see my host ping around 15-30mS and then it jumps to the normal host ping once the game is loading/loaded and in process.   

Was this at the beginning or during the whole match?  I play with friends as party leader and not using the geo-filter.  While I am in San Diego, California, the party leaders are typically on the east coast.   While in lobbies, I often see my host ping around 15-30mS and then it jumps to the normal host ping once the game is loading/loaded and in process.   

The whole game, it's happened before where it would go from 100ms to 10ms then back to 100ms and 10ms but they are in Cali

It seems like it is getting confused on host and just providing your normal ping

When I ran a trace route on the IP it stopped half way through and that's the ping the netduma is returning to me

i am curious does the netduma only do ICMP pings or will it follow TCP/UDP to get a response time if ICMP is blocked (like in my network)

It must because I can't ping a MS server with ICMP on anything, but the netduma shows a ping graph in game to a MS server

IP can also have an inaccurate geo location.

The guy said he was in cali, so were all his teammates... Also, used multiple different ip databases to find his location and they all pointed to cali.

The only person who could answer this anomaly is Iain because he coded it.

• Administrators

The guy said he was in cali, so were all his teammates... Also, used multiple different ip databases to find his location and they all pointed to cali.

The only person who could answer this anomaly is Iain because he coded it.

It tries lots of methods and goes with the one it thinks is as realistic as possible.

Was what I was told by Iain ^

Have you got the IDs for those ones as they very well could be mislocated

Nah but I don't believe they were as in game they were pinging over 100ms which is about right for that distance. It was a custom game for gamebattles so on my host they had 3 bars and on their host we had 3 bars

It tries lots of methods and goes with the one it thinks is as realistic as possible.

this just makes me thirsty for more information, and now i'll have to use wireshark

• Administrators

Nah but I don't believe they were as in game they were pinging over 100ms which is about right for that distance. It was a custom game for gamebattles so on my host they had 3 bars and on their host we had 3 bars

So strange that this hasn't occurred with others before. I'll have a look into it see if I can find some more info on this.

So strange that this hasn't occurred with others before. I'll have a look into it see if I can find some more info on this.

Well my router is broken, don't forget.

I think i also have the same issue because the router shows 8-10ms ping to some player hosts and thats not even possible as 8ms is my base ping. While ping to dedicated servers is accurate but some player hosts in my country are like showing 10-20ms but in game im 3 bar and its a crap host nowhere near 20ms.

Archived