Problems with Connection? WTF Moments

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy who works for the cable company I know says oh everything is great on our end

I was that guy who worked for the cable company, and I worked there for several years before I learned anything about this level of problem.  No offense to the guy you are dealing with, he may not have the training needed for this type of issue.  Your average "house call" guy is good from the street to your TV.  This is an area wide problem, which in the model I worked under would go to the most senior of technicians and this would most likely be a week or two weeks of "test, observe, shotgun a few locations and repeat".

What about choking the download and upload

To achieve?

Basically gaming requires very little bandwidth to operate.  So what you are giving it, even by throttling your speeds way down, is more than it needs to run.  

If you happen to find yourself wandering around the "lag compensation is fucking me" camp, you will hear moans and groans that Lag Comp is the true animal and if you lower your speeds to ****this**** magic number you will be unstoppable.

I personally have found this to be placebo, at best, that will carry you through for a game or two until the REAL CONDITION that is causing the problem rears it's head and spits molten fire all over your ass.

If you think throttling will work when the problem appears to be outside of the area you are controlling, there isn't much any of us can do to convince you otherwise. It's your router and your spare time my friend.  Test away.

I have personally tried it, with a few tools that the average user doesn't have and some knowledge gleaned here and there, and I don't believe it will make a lick of difference in the long run.

• Administrators

Don't forget hyper traffic for your console as well, that will help with jitter and spikes caused by other devices. Ensure ALL devices are connected to the R1 otherwise congestion control will not work correctly.

Ok. I trust you. Was just wondering. So put both sliders to 70%

Don't trust me, I am just some guy on the internet....LOL  Try things and see what works best "in your eyes".  All of us play a little differently, so what works for me, may not work for you.

Hyper Lane like Fraser mentioned won't hurt matters.

If you want to get a little more technically minded, you can play with zero buffer bloat.  http://forum.netduma.com/topic/10385-bo3-help-entry-level-bufferbloat-%E2%80%93-%E2%80%9Czennon%E2%80%99s-first-rule-of-gaming%E2%80%9D/

The biggest thing I can recommend, beyond what was discussed, is to keep a log.  I use Excel.  I try to notate the server ID and how I do.  I specifically track assists because I feel that is a better judge of how my hit detection is for that game.  If I have like (8) assists, I know that wasn't the best combination of factors (server, connection and opponents).

With a little diligence you will find little tips and tricks that work for your play style.  But just playing, rage quitting and waiting for the magic lobby is going to continue the frustration I suspect.  

I prefer to have some tangible data to compare.  Right now I am not playing, as are a couple of others here, because we feel the last patch has made things worse.  It will straighten out in a few days, but I would rather skip the occasional good lobby when the majority of them are playing rough.

I doubt it would change the ISP jitter no.

Maybe users of the mentioned ISP could post ping plotter plots at peak time for us to mull over.

I'm with Zen - The plant that is carrying the signal is most likely going to be the same, so the name on the bill is all that will really change.  Unless they have to physically connect you to brand new plant that was just built inside the last couple of years, it PROBABLY will not change much, if at all.

Tonight I will

That may give you an idea of whether it's a total fire sale or not.  If the line is significantly better after peak hours, at least you know the line itself is not the issue and then you can start raising holy hell with the ISP provider.

Do you have phone service through the same carrier by any chance?

The line degrades when it use?

Can you hear an audible crackle on the phone handset at all?

Here in the UK we have to filter our phones I am assuming it is the same for you guys in the US.

So I played all day today from morning till night. The morning wasn't so bad but afternoon was terrible. Then diner time was retarded. Bout 9pm was way better. I'm going to try it before I go to bed.

I ran a internet test on Duma router and everything was exceptional. A little while ago.

During the day characters were very jittery 1v1 gunfights were friggin impossible.

I payed close attention to ping charts and today it looked like a roller coaster. Tonight they were definitely smoother. Going to try again soon.

You have ISP contention / congestion.

Other users in your area on the same ISP using the internet creating ISP congestion this is why it gets worse at peak times.

One possible reason is you are not actually viewing your own ping if you are talking about the blackops 3 ingame meter. What happens is people die then pop the meter up during a kill cam which means you are actually viewing the enemies ping. This also happens at the start of a game or during SND when you view other people the ping you are viewing are actually other peoples. If on the other hand you are talking about the Duma graph then im not sure sorry ... 

• Netduma Staff

As long as you have congestion control on 70/70, your device prioritisation reset, your console on hyper traffic and your geofilter correctly set up, your gaming experience will be enhanced by the Netduma. Your issues (Especially since they are dictated by the time of day) seem very much like ISP issues which we can't solve directly. You'll need to contact them regarding the issue if you want to be able to have good games around the clock - it seems like the Netduma is doing all it can.

Archived