Any Comcast users out there? equipment suggestions?

In my area I have 2 choices, either AT&T uverse or Comcast, my At&T equipment doesn't like to play well with my duma, and I am seriously considering moving to comcast. I am wondering what other netduma users have experienced with comcast cable internet, and if there are any problems I should be aware of before switching it up. I was planning on going with my own gateway/router/modem instead of leasing the comcast equipment. Any suggestions on a great simple gateway with a true bridge mode? Right now my AT&T speeds are 16down and 1up, with comcast I believe that I can get different packages ranging from 25 to 250 down, I'm not sure the up. Thanks in advance!

I have Comcast in the Philly area. It's the only ISP available at my address. 

I would not get it. 

Way too much jitter to play any multiplayer game. 

My ping is 14ms to google.com with 25ms of jitter. 

I have perfect modem signal levels with zero noise on the line.

Most techs who come to my place can't believe how good my signal is. 

They just stand there and say, "what more do you want? Your signal is perfect."

Techs have been at my house a dozen times in the past year trying to fix my jitter and found nothing wrong. 

Technical support will not help you past the drop to your house. 

I have shown proof of the jitter and packet loss % to them including the IP addresses of all the bad hops, but they won't help past having a technician come out to your house and check signal levels. 

If you can have Comcast come to your house and show proof of the line quality, by running a pingplotter test for at least a day, before you sign a contract then go for it. Or if they can offer you a trial run of like a month or something that would be even better. 

Too much jitter on cable internet as compared to dsl. I have Comcast and you are at the mercy of how many of your neighbors are online as well. Bandwidth is not the problem. It's the jitter aspect that is the problem.

I had Cox another cable internet service for 11 years up until March 2016. I switched to AT&T because of way too much jitter on cable lines and can say AT&T is more stable.

I'm an ex-cable guy.  I worked in the Cable TV, Internet and Telephony business for about 15 years.  I had a cable line at my house, feeding cables I had wired myself.  My house SHOULD have been a working model of "good".

After kneeling before the Alter of Zennon and becoming Enlightened to the Jitter aspect, of which the architecture of cable is prone to by its' design, I now have a VDSL line for my gaming needs.

Having a clean, jitter free line for gaming is FAR more important to me than the speed of the service being provided.

YMMV,

JD

Archived