ping plotter, help pls

You need to ideally run it for a couple of hours at peak time where you live to get a proper idea of whats happening. I know its a ball ache but the longer the test the more information can be taken from it. I did tests for 12 hours to 4 days and finally got my issue resolved.

Reall if you can do a test for about 4 - 5 hours it would be much more help.

Cheers for the reply I'll do more tests, just wanted an idea if it's not looking good. Tried playing a couple of games tonight and it felt crap so did the test. Considering getting bt infinity at the moment

Who you with at the moment? I have bt infinity 1 and get 29 down 6 ish up

You really need a few hours to test properly, pain in the ass but worth it in the long run :)

I used to find Virgin was great on the 30/3 package (5+years ago), then it became the 60/3 (mandatory upgrade) and that didn't play as well.

Then a few weeks ago I got the 150/12 package and it's virtually unplayable, whilst it can be played it's certainly not enjoyable anymore.

I'm just waiting for a new line to be installed and then I'm jumping ship to another isp - hopefully that will improve things.

Base ping of 14ms and ping spikes to 32ms

That's 18ms jitter on that plot for me unplayable.

That plot is from 10 pm you need from a little earlier when more people are online using virgin in your area.

I am afraid it cable jitter for you.

I am with TalkTalk Fibre I get 15ms base with the odd jump to 16ms to bbc and 17ms with the odd 18ms to 8.8.8.8

I live in Cumbria so my pings take a little longer, people closer to  London usually get around 8 or 9 ms

You will find any fibre ISP to have low jitter if the area is not over subscribed.

up and down like a ****** knickers, I honestly do not know how you virgin cable folk have put up with that for so long.

People in the US on cable see this sort of jitter also.

A lot gets blamed on the game, for me it is this that is the issue.

You can not paint a masterpiece on an uneven canvas.

Lol not good then, is there any point complaining to virgin or is it pointless?

It's worth having a word with them but whether they can (and then will) do anything is something else.

In my case they told me that they couldn't do anything - the 'upgrade' in package was about to become mandatory for my area too.

I changed isp because I have had to - it was that or lose my mind.

I checked Virgin's forum and there were tons of threads that were suffering the same issues as me.

Do you have anyone nearby on a different isp that will let you test (pingplotter) their connection?

I mean really close, not 'within a mile or so', like a neighbour?

(I tested next door and the two houses opposite).

Nope, next door is on virgin. I was originally with sky 3 years ago but the speed was the problem. I'm probably going to go with bt, they are saying 76mb while as sky is between 7-14

It's very recently that fibre has become available where I live, only about 18months ago there was nothing but Virgin Media or 1-2mb Sky where I live - it wasn't until a few weeks ago when the majority of games became completely fun-less that I looked into it again (just as they were about to 'upgrade' my area to the new faster package).

Can you ask some other neighbours? I asked at nearly every house in my road where the occupants were younger than my grandparents (my gramps don't even know what internet they have).

I just told them all that we were having internet problems and were thinking of changing ISP, blah blah, can I test yours for a few minutes please? (use an ethernet cable so they don't have to give you their password). I was pleasantly surprised that everyone said "yes of course" so I booked myself a peak-time testing slot that evening.

After 15 mins at the first 'fibre neighbour' it was obvious very quickly that I simply had a really shitty connection so I set the isp change in motion the next day.

I'm not overly technical at all and I can't say that it is definitely your isp but it looks just like mine.

I tested everything, then replaced everything and tested everything several times again, then factory reset everything and tested again.

The problems persisted but I found that my neighbour on fibre doesn't have these problems at all so it was an easy decision in the end...

Where you live it could be completely different which is why I recommend you check others really close to home.

You wouldn't want to jump onto a new contract with another isp if that sucks too. But it looks/sounds like it probably can't be worse anyway.

By the way, BT fibre's max is 76mb, make sure you've check their estimate for what you might actually get (just in case you haven't already).

I had a bad cable line, and I worked as a Cable guy for many years.  My house was solid, but the outside plant was a nightmare.  

Mine was bad enough to warrant getting a dedicated VDSL gaming line.  I agree with Zennon that even during Double XP weekend, the game play was vastly superior with a quiet and clean line.

In looking at those graphs, I can say mine wasn't ANYWHERE near as bad as what you have in that graph brother.

That is some pretty hellacious instability you are fighting there.

Archived