Discussion about paid anti lag services.

zombitroid

I recently stumbled across a service called Ping Killer, which claims to use powerful dedicated servers to get your packets through smoothly and swiftly. I have seen many services just like this out there on the wonderful internet, and I was wondering if we could start a discussion on here so I can learn what the community thinks about these features. I really am tempted to try out one of these services.

How was your experience with these services?

Are they worth it?

http://www.killping.com/blog/solve-call-of-duty-black-ops-3-lag/

I recently stumbled across a service called Ping Killer, which claims to use powerful dedicated servers to get your packets through smoothly and swiftly. I have seen many services just like this out there on the wonderful internet, and I was wondering if we could start a discussion on here so I can learn what the community thinks about these features. I really am tempted to try out one of these services.

How was your experience with these services?

Are they worth it?

http://www.killping.com/blog/solve-call-of-duty-black-ops-3-lag/

i've no idea myself - but i'm interested if anyone has any experience with this

I'm just going to be blunt about this one.... I think its a placebo effect, that they are promoting... "aka a Scam.."  people will buy this monthly bs, and instantly think wow the lag is down. Until they run into it again. Besides cutting down the area of which you search for games to improve your lag compensation. (what the duma does.) I don't see any physical way this company can create their own server connections/paths to a better game connection.. seems extremely sketch if that is the case, and most likely it is Illegal in some fashion to manipulate the system by what they are describing.

Only way to a better Ping is just what they list in some of their points, Play on a wired connection, remove any un-needed devices on your network not being used at the time, and/or buy a better ISP, but even then It all matters by where exactly you are placed in the world connecting to a said "Host" Server. (I just went from a 30ms ping to a 3-4ms ping. That is all based on the better internet connection but even then I'm still missing out on that 1ms ping because I'm not as close to the Host server. My buddy who's in the same City as me, has the same ISP and set up has a 1ms, and its all because he is closer to the server than I am.)

Now the difference between a 1ms ping and a 5ms ping really makes no difference when your gaming on such a low number. But just some food for thought.

I would lean towards the "scam" side.People will create anything that gamers will buy to help prevent lag or give them a perceived advantage over others.

But again it's just my opinion but it's like the "lag buster" device people were all about it as they believe it gave them an advantage over lag.

I would lean towards the "scam" side.People will create anything that gamers will buy to help prevent lag or give them a perceived advantage over others.

But again it's just my opinion but it's like the "lag buster" device people were all about it as they believe it gave them an advantage over lag.

Lol people might as well bring back the lag switches while we are at it lmao.

It a VPN service, How can a VPN make your ISP jitter any better, answers on a post card to ......

Speaking of Lag, I'll post this video I got last night soon. Even with a Fiber-optic connection You will still see lag here and there.. (I didn't have my Duma hooked up yet sadly.) But, it was hilarious watching the kill cams. I was getting instamelted by the same person in one lobby and I couldn't figure out what the issue was. Then I watched the kill cams and clear as day the guy was just shooting away at me. But in my gameplays half the time the guy was never on the screen then I would just die in place. I was cracking up from it but thats what you get when people with terrible connections are in game. nothing you can do but move on.

It a VPN service, How can a VPN make your ISP jitter any better, answers on a post card to ......

I don't see how a downstream service (away from your house, in a remote building the other side of town) could do ANYTHING with problems between your house and the "jump to light" aka fiber.

I'm again in the same camp with Zennon.  

I would see if they have a friendly forum and then I would read the posts.  If the complaint posts make sense, and the answers from the hardcore believers "don't" - That would be my second cue to keep on walking and save my pocket coin.  

YMMV,

JD

Before you guys jump the gun, it's a VPN service.
Usually, most ISPs do not optimize the routes that they take especially from one country to another. I've asked people to help me ping to gameservers.com, Japan, which was what Black Ops 3 is using for their servers in Asia. All the ISPs give varying results with some that are specifically for gamers taking the best routes.

So how this VPN service can help you is that it basically bypasses the un-optimized routes that your ISP takes by having a server in your country which means lower latency that your packets will go through and through its VPN servers, will give you something like a direct highway that goes straight to the country (let's say Japan where the BO3 server is) and out from its VPN server located there.

So let's take Malaysia for example. A typical ISP will route their connection to the DNS servers that they made a deal to allow their users to access to find address that they will be routing to.
It can travel from Malaysia to Thailand and then to HongKong and even China before it finally goes to Japan. Very unoptimized seeing as there is a dedicated fibre network in the ocean that crosses through all these countries..

So this VPN service dedicated specifically for gaming will find the best DNS servers and locations for their own VPN servers with gaming in mind to find the fastest route.

A good analogy will be like taking a train that has many weird stops that it has to go to while a plane only has a few stops or even a direct route straight to your destination.

All in all, depending on your location, and even how optimized your ISP is, you might or might not benefit from this service. But if you are really struggling from lag and are out of options, you should just buy the 1 month period and do a comparison of the latency that you are getting to see if it works for you. If it doesn't, thankfully its just 1 month's worth that you are paying for right? It's the equivalent of buying yourself a meal. If it sucks, there is no need for you to buy and eat it again.

Most peoples issues are from ISP congestion and jitter associated with it, nothing can fix this but the ISP at the moment, I am hoping to see Iain's anti jitter sometime in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see your point in the case described AsNCo - But all that is still happening AFTER the conditions Zennon and I are talking about.  If everything local were perfect, then your example would have more weight, but most folks here are dealing with local issues LONG before they have to worry about optimized paths to and from the dedi

Optimized paths are an issue regardless of our ability to solve them. My understanding is packets are routed in the cheapest route ($$) rather than the fastest. There is an article floating around about how RIOT (league of legends) formed an almost second internet partnering with some backbone companies to route LoL packets as efficiently as possible and significantly reduced peoples pings.

https://engineering.riotgames.com/news/fixing-internet-real-time-applications-part-i

https://engineering.riotgames.com/news/fixing-internet-real-time-applications-part-ii

Archived