Hit detection simple question!

zombitroid

Correct me if I am wrong: If I am pinging at 40 ms exactly to a dedicated server, and I shoot a bullet at somebody: it takes 40 ms to get the

message to the host, <1ms for the host to process it, and 40 ms to get the message back to me, which ultimately means that I will not get my

hitmarker for that one bullet for 81 ms, right?

This would make a lot of sense to me.

here is an interesting vid for those that are interested in hit detection

https://youtu.be/hTl2L5dCYog

thanks for reading

jeff

• 2 weeks later...

You also have to consider your console only sends info every 20 MS and the server only sends info every 50ms (blops 3) so there can be a 19 MS delay on your end from shot fired before you even send the info out and then travel time then a 49ms delay on the server then travel time back. Worst case scenario

Correct me if I am wrong: If I am pinging at 40 ms exactly to a dedicated server, and I shoot a bullet at somebody: it takes 40 ms to get the

message to the host, <1ms for the host to process it, and 40 ms to get the message back to me, which ultimately means that I will not get my

hitmarker for that one bullet for 81 ms, right?

Wrong.

Ping is you to destination and back, including processing along the way.

You far better off watching ovenbakedmuffin for networking cod style.

Your ping will rarely ever be 100% steady at whatever you ping at then the game reads the ping and assumes 1/2 ping to be correct. In theory its correct but in reality because everyone's ping fluctuated it rarely works.

Best we can hope for in reality is remember your online with people with good knows what type of connection quality you we must no expect LAN quality online, its the only reason i havent killed someone yet

Archived