Setting MTU?

jeycee

Hi Guys,

my Xbox One detailed test  shows that i have a MTU 1480...is it normal?

I have setted 1492 in Duma WAN and LAN but it still shows 1480 on my Xbox One.

My Modem is in Bridge Mode and can't find a MTU settings on it (?)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

MTU will always be the minimum set. Have you set the MTU on the xbox? If not there maybe something further down that has the MTU at 1480.

Tbh I don't really know how xbox does MTU test and where its set. So I'm speculating here. 

ok, thank you :)

Download and run THIS TOOL it will show you the right MTU for your connection, If you find your MTU via CMD remember to always add 28 to the final number, so if it was an MTU of 1472 the number to enter in your Router would be 1500. 

Heres mine as an example:

84843392f8.png

Guest Netduma Fraser

Thanks man... but i am on Mac :)

If you search something like how to set optimum MTU with Mac, there will be instructions on how to find it with the terminal :)

• Netduma Staff

Thanks man... but i am on Mac :)

This is a script I found online that will automate it for you http://pastebin.com/wwHaZ6qd

It seems quite good :) Just put it in a text document and save it as a .sh file, e.g maxmtu.sh. Then in terminal, navigate to the location of the file and make it executable (sudo chmod +x filename.sh).

The running it my typing ./filename.sh while in the same directory as it and let it run, it will show you the results after :)

Thanks Raddy1993 - I was able to download the program, run it and get my MTU.  Turns out it ended up being the 1472+28=1500, like the recommendations said, but there is peace of mind having witnessed it for myself.

Thanks brother!

• 7 months later...

Setting my ps4 mtu at 1473. Do I set my netduma the same or leave it at automatic?

I would. Keep it consistent. That's nice that the PS4 let's you do that. The Xbox One doesn't.

Archived