Hello! And Does this sound like a good idea?

de4ek

Hello, My name Is Derek. I Just ordered this amazing thing. It's in a truck somewhere in Chicago right now.... but I'll have it soon! yay! I have had my eye on this thing for quite a while.

The other day i was having some connection issues so i got up to power cycle the modem and router.... when i reached for the router to turn it off...    ...i I shocked it real good with built up static electricity! I completely fried the WLAN port on the Asus Dark Knight router. Agh! SUX!!! i thought. then... i remembered NetDuma!! haha, the perfect excuse to blow some cash.

So my question is, since the rest of the Asus router still works, the 4 port hub and wireless parts, and the NetDuma's wifi hardware doesn't offer 5Ghz, should I hook up the Asus as a wireless Access Point? would that help with range for my mobiles? 

Hello, My name Is Derek. I Just ordered this amazing thing. It's in a truck somewhere in Chicago right now.... but I'll have it soon! yay! I have had my eye on this thing for quite a while.

The other day i was having some connection issues so i got up to power cycle the modem and router.... when i reached for the router to turn it off...    ...i I shocked it real good with built up static electricity! I completely fried the WLAN port on the Asus Dark Knight router. Agh! SUX!!! i thought. then... i remembered NetDuma!! haha, the perfect excuse to blow some cash.

So my question is, since the rest of the Asus router still works, the 4 port hub and wireless parts, and the NetDuma's wifi hardware doesn't offer 5Ghz, should I hook up the Asus as a wireless Access Point? would that help with range for my mobiles? 

Yes.  Lots of peeps do that.  It works great.  I use both 2.4 and 5 ghz on my old router in AP mode.  I shut off the 2.4 on the R1. Welcome to the Duma Army Derek!  

Since 5ghz range is actually worse than 2.4 you may be surprised that the R1 can out perform the range of your expensive "bricked" Asus... However, 5ghz can beat 2.4 ghz in speed. So if your speed is faster than about 45 Mbps, I would run the Asus for 5ghz, preferably using AC wireless for the fastest speed.

In my house I have my R1 and a TP-Link Archer C7 as my AC access point to get my full 180 down and 10 up over wifi throughout my house.

sounds good, heh yeah, the asus is pretty much a brick. if it will do the AP thing ill probably use it in the basement and the Duma on the main floor. Thanks for the Welcome! I currently have a really old netgear g router hooked up, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the package of goodies...

Archived