Moving house soon, need advice on router/network setup

I'm moving house in 2 weeks. I currently have my PS4 and netduma downstairs (ethernet connection) only 4 metres from the master sock so I have a good connection setup and online gaming is good.

The only difference when I move is I will be upstairs and the router will be downstairs connected to the master socket,

Just to be clear I don't want to connect through a powerline adapter or wireless, I'm a 'once used ethernet never going back' person  :)

I know some of you (namely Zennon) run a long ethernet cable upstairs and through floorboards (correct me if this is wrong) and upstairs to the console.

The problem is I'm rubbish with DIY and really wanted your advice on how I do this?

Do I lift up the carpet by the master socket then pull back floorboards and thred upstairs then do the same upstairs, if so is this really difficult?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

Yes you're correct I do run Ethernet up through the ceiling :)

How I did mine : In the corner of the ceiling drill a hole then up stairs lift the carpet in said corner and drill another whole directly above and feed it through.

So no its not feeding it up the stairs.

co-incidentally i had virgin media out yesterday to move my internet upstairs as the mrs is tired of me raging at corner campers.

they waived the usual £99 charge aswell  :D

luckily for the guy who came to do it he only had to drill one hole, although the room is opposite sides of the house there was existing co-ax in every upstairs room.

p.s, a power line adaptor would only work if the power sockets are all on the same ring, usually it's a separate ring for upstairs.

I know you said you aint interested in powerline adapters but seriously mate, I have been using them for years and I get no difference on speed tests or game play from hard wired trailing a cable up the stairs or using the plugs. As long as both are in the socket and not an extension.

Save a lot of mess.

I have a couple spare if you want to try them for free Ill post em to you. Yours gratis if they work if not all I ask is you send em back so I can give em somebody else.

Cheers.

There are lots of places to run your cable from downstairs to upstairs and it it pretty easy.

Just make sure you plan it out first so you don't swiss cheese the floors of your new house.The only things you really need are a long drill bit and an electrician snake.After that just find the best place to run your new cable.

Yes you're correct I do run Ethernet up through the ceiling :)

How I did mine : In the corner of the ceiling drill a hole then up stairs lift the carpet in said corner and drill another whole directly above and feed it through.

So no its not feeding it up the stairs.

Thanks Z, but does that mean downstairs you run the cable up the corner of the wall and through the hole so the ethernet is on display up to the point it goes through the ceiling? Also, how do you know where to pull the cable from if the room upstairs is not directly above? for example in my new house the master socket/router will be near the front door but the room I want it to go to is in the back right side.

I know you said you aint interested in powerline adapters but seriously mate, I have been using them for years and I get no difference on speed tests or game play from hard wired trailing a cable up the stairs or using the plugs. As long as both are in the socket and not an extension.

Save a lot of mess.

I have a couple spare if you want to try them for free Ill post em to you. Yours gratis if they work if not all I ask is you send em back so I can give em somebody else.

Cheers.

Many Thanks Bagsta for your offer that's very kind of you. However I already have some powerline adapters. I may have to try these though if my preferred option is too tricky.

In my new house the master socket/router will be near the front door but the room I want it to go to is in the back right side.

Now that does make it tricky, I see why you said go up the stairs with the cable.

You could run it bottom floor all the way to the room under the upstairs room that you need to be then go up through the ceiling.

Lots of nooks and crannies to run wire thru,Void spaces in the wall cavities and HVAC are a few that come to mind.I have my upstairs cable for TV run up thru my HVAC and it works fine.

If all else fails put your router where your gaming console is and run the rest of the house on WIFI if possible.

Archived