Using NetDuma With Current Router's Wifi?

Slicck

Hey guys, Slicck here.

I was wondering if anyone here has a thing or two they can tell me with their experience regarding using the NetDuma with their current router, whether it's a high-end router like a Nighthawk, or just a router provided by their ISP.

My biggest concern while using this router would be the single-band capability, and wifi. I want the advantages of the firmware while also being able to have my current router's power throughout the house.

Basically my question is: If I were to use this with my current router, can I still use my router's wifi and speed?

I use my R1 as the primary router and took my old router and changed it to access point mode. I turned off the R1'S wifi and use my old routers 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. You can also use the ethernet ports on your old router. It's super easy to do. Just need to find look through your other routers settings to find AP mode. The important thing to do is have your set up flow like ISP modem>R1>Old router in AP mode. You'll want to make sure your old routers DHCP is turned off. You only want your R1 dishing out IP'S for your network.

I use my R1 as the primary router and took my old router and changed it to access point mode. I turned off the R1'S wifi and use my old routers 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. You can also use the ethernet ports on your old router. It's super easy to do. Just need to find look through your other routers settings to find AP mode. The important thing to do is have your set up flow like ISP modem>R1>Old router in AP mode. You'll want to make sure your old routers DHCP is turned off. You only want your R1 dishing out IP'S for your network.

Ah, I don't think my router as an AP mode, or the ability to disable DHCP. According to my ISP, they say I should be fine just connecting the duma to the back of my router/modem combo and connect all my devices to the netduma. I don't think my router would automatically dish out IPs if I disconnect all the devices from it and move them to the duma, right? (At least all my wired devices)

Not sure if all the netduma features would be open to me though since it wouldn't be my primary router. Not sure if my NAT would be open or not either.

Ah, I don't think my router as an AP mode, or the ability to disable DHCP. According to my ISP, they say I should be fine just connecting the duma to the back of my router/modem combo and connect all my devices to the netduma. I don't think my router would automatically dish out IPs if I disconnect all the devices from it and move them to the duma, right? (At least all my wired devices)

Not sure if all the netduma features would be open to me though since it wouldn't be my primary router. Not sure if my NAT would be open or not either.

What kind of router do you have? Is it a modem/router combo? Who is your isp?

ISP: Rogers located in Toronto, Canada

Modem/Router Combo: CGN3ROG by Hitron Technologies

Speed: 100mbps down, 10mbps up. Switching to 250/20 tomorrow and maybe upgrading to Roger's new AC rocket modem/router combo.

5165468867.png

Notes:

- According to my ISP, I can't disable DHCP or go into AP mode since it's a modem/router combo.

- I guess I can however, get a modem, a new router, and the duma which is on it's way through the mail right now to have an ideal set up if I really need to.

- I think I'll be fine as long as I can still have open ports and use the duma through my current modem/router combo.

Unrelated question: Are you able to play with the friends located in your area just fine with the geo-locking? 

Would love to hear your thoughts and see if it would be an okay setup. I really appreciate your help by the way, thanks.

I used to run my Nighthawk, then Duma and use Duma for Xbox and ps only. I would make sure to just hook all my other stuff to the Nighthawk for wifi or anything not gaming related with no trouble. You may have to do some work with the service providers unit. I had some issues and switched their modem. I now have my own modem so that problem is solved.

I can say it's much easier as Major said, to run you system out of the Duma and plug the other modem into the Duma then connect the other things needed. You just have to think through each step as you're doing it and you'll be fine.

ISP: Rogers located in Toronto, Canada

Modem/Router Combo: CGN3ROG by Hitron Technologies

Speed: 100mbps down, 10mbps up. Switching to 250/20 tomorrow and maybe upgrading to Roger's new AC rocket modem/router combo.

5165468867.png

Notes:

- According to my ISP, I can't disable DHCP or go into AP mode since it's a modem/router combo.

- I guess I can however, get a modem, a new router, and the duma which is on it's way through the mail right now to have an ideal set up if I really need to.

- I think I'll be fine as long as I can still have open ports and use the duma through my current modem/router combo.

Unrelated question: Are you able to play with the friends located in your area just fine with the geo-locking? 

Would love to hear your thoughts and see if it would be an okay setup. I really appreciate your help by the way, thanks.

Since you have a modem/router and your isp said you can't go into AP mode. Your plan is solid. If you were to get just the modem from your isp you could hook your R1 directly to that. Then get a cheap router with good wifi and use that in AP mode, but it sounds like you're already heading in another direction. Having a router connected upstream of your R1 nullifies some of the coolest features of it. You'll still be able to use the Geo, but the congestion control sliders, device distribution, hyper-traffic will only work on what is connected to your R1.

Regarding your other questions:

The best thing you can do for using the geofilter while in a party is to make sure the people in your party are on your "Allowed" list. It's easy to do. Before you go into a game, unchecked "show dormant hosts" look on the map and find the different red circles. They'll be your friends. Click on the circle, enter the name of the person slide the slider to 100 and click "update" The geo should work if everyone is inside the range you have set, but based on what I've read it occasionally kicks people out. I usually turn the Geo off when I'm in a party anyway because most of the time the people in my party are all across the US

Since you have a modem/router and your isp said you can't go into AP mode. Your plan is solid. If you were to get just the modem from your isp you could hook your R1 directly to that. Then get a cheap router with good wifi and use that in AP mode, but it sounds like you're already heading in another direction. Having a router connected upstream of your R1 nullifies some of the coolest features of it. You'll still be able to use the Geo, but the congestion control sliders, device distribution, hyper-traffic will only work on what is connected to your R1.

Regarding your other questions:

The best thing you can do for using the geofilter while in a party is to make sure the people in your party are on your "Allowed" list. It's easy to do. Before you go into a game, unchecked "show dormant hosts" look on the map and find the different red circles. They'll be your friends. Click on the circle, enter the name of the person slide the slider to 100 and click "update" The geo should work if everyone is inside the range you have set, but based on what I've read it occasionally kicks people out. I usually turn the Geo off when I'm in a party anyway because most of the time the people in my party are all across the US

As long as I can use those features with the devices actually connected to the R1, that's good enough for me; I'm definitely glad since all I want it for are my consoles, laptop, and PC. As for people in my party, I only play with people that live in my city so I guess I won't even have to whitelist them. Thanks again for your help. 

im guessing when your needing the extra wifi range it will be when your doing other things besides gaming in which case bypassing the duma wouldnt be a problem would it? so why not just have both wifi networks saved on device and switch between them as needed?

for example im connected to my bt home hub now cause thats just what it connects to first when i turn it on but im not gaming so no problem but if i was gaming id switch connection

im guessing when your needing the extra wifi range it will be when your doing other things besides gaming in which case bypassing the duma wouldnt be a problem would it? so why not just have both wifi networks saved on device and switch between them as needed?

for example im connected to my bt home hub now cause thats just what it connects to first when i turn it on but im not gaming so no problem but if i was gaming id switch connection

Yep that would work. Just want to make sure the 2.4 ghz from your R1 isn't competing with your 2.4 ghz from your other router by turning one of the radios off.

Yep that would work. Just want to make sure the 2.4 ghz from your R1 isn't competing with your 2.4 ghz from your other router by turning one of the radios off.

bt hub is on 5ghz

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum and thanks for purchasing!

Sorry for the late reply, you've got some great advice here. 

Just to reiterate all devices have to be connected to the duma for all features to work (specifically congestion control), having any devices connected to the hub will mean you can't use that (Geo etc will work still).

ISP hub > R1 > AC router is our recommendation to people if it's possible.

Archived