Unable to Achieve Gigabit Speeds

Hi, I'll start off my saying that I have followed fuzzy clam's instructions to follow the wiki on how to optimise the Netduma for my gigabit speeds but I am consistently getting only around 400Mbps down which is less than half of what I paid for. I'd be happy to get anywhere around 800Mbps - 900Mbps as I know 1Gbps is only possible in theory.

I am on the latest firmware and also allowed the router to automatically handle my speeds. Turbo and Super Turbo Mode boxes are ticked. Deep Packet Processing is disabled. No CC settings. Reactive algorithm. IPv6 is disabled in both LAN and WAN. I am also hardwired to the Netduma via a Cat6 cable.

Any advice and suggestions are welcomed. :)

I've seen Gigabit users achieve about 700Mbps with the Duma...

Can you try to enable the following, you may have some enabled already but please try my suggestion.

Settings > LAN

* Automatic DNS

* IPv6 Enabled

* MTU 1500 (Manual)

Settings > WAN

* WAN MAC Address Disabled

* IPv6 Enabled

* MTU 1500 (Manual)

Settings > Misc

* Enable UPNP Forwarding

* Enable Link Local IPv6

* Enable Cookies

* Stealth Mode

* Turbo Mode

* Super Turbo Mode

Once done go to Settings > Miscellenous and click on Reboot Router.

Once it reboots, try a speedtest.

Yeah, I've seen some users reported that they're able to achieve 800Mbps. FeelsBadMan. Haha.

Anyway, just tried your suggestion and found my speeds neither increased nor decreased.

Interesting that you mentioned to enable IPv6 as I always thought that they needed to be disabled by default.

Ok, so I tried using a different ethernet cable as well as different ethernet ports on the Netduma and it's still stuck at 400ish.

My bandwidth is set to 999Mbps down and 500Mbps up.

I pretty much have everything off except for the essentials like Turbo and Super Turbo Mode.

What gives?

You may not be able to achieve higher than that unfortunately but are all devices connected to the R1?

Alright then. Yes, all my devices are connected to the R1 but are not running whenever I perform a speedtest.

Are you using cat 6 cables?

Yes, all my cables are Cat6.

• Administrators

If you have auto setup for bandwidth 999 then you may have hit your max of what the router can achieve. 

In theory you should be able to achieve ~900mbps but in a real world setting this may not always be possible.

To get best performances on for actual 1000Mb and beyond, you need 10Gb supporting connection rate devices. Unfortunately there isn't much if any currently for consumer class 10Gb HW. 10Gb is mostly kept to big business and enterprise class environments. I presume that maybe in the next 5 years we may see that change. There's been talk here and there of it in other forums. Same thing happened when we graduated from 100Mb to 1000Mb years back. Current consumer HW wont do much passed 900Mb.

• Administrators

Appreciate the replies Fraser. Was just wondering how other members were able to hit 800-900 with the Netduma. :)

No worries! They won't have any other settings different from you, again theoretically it's possible but real world not everyone will be able to hit that 

Archived