Sky Q and Netduma R1?

I have just come up for renewal and am looking into purchasing Sky Q. Is there any news as to whether the netduma could be run in DMZ? Sadly you are forced to use their new Q hub for the extra Sky mini boxes to function!

Thanks

I have just come up for renewal and am looking into purchasing Sky Q. Is there any news as to whether the netduma could be run in DMZ? Sadly you are forced to use their new Q hub for the extra Sky mini boxes to function!

Thanks

Oh wow , when does sky Q become available? Do you have a price for how much your expected to pay? I read about it a little while ago and i thought it sounded pretty cool. the guys previewing the demo also had a lot of cool stuff to say about it, only niggle was they have tried to be overly smart with the tv remote and they found it a little awkward to use.

Maybe you can post up your experience if and when you get it MG :)

look it up dude, it sounds awesome as hell if you like that sort of stuff :)

Just have, yeah looks good, but they want an extra £12 a month, and i already pay them £70. Been with sky ages, they don't really look after existing customers, only new ones.

I'll just stick to my sky+ box.

Baz.

The thing you need to be careful of is that the new sky mini boxes do not have connections to the dish, they connect via wifi to the Sky Q hub or Netduma.  So they need to be on your R1 to be congestion controlled but not sure what they need to stream the content.

They do have built in power line adaptors but they are not on at launch and have to connect to the Sky Hub. Until someone works out which of the shelf ones will work with it  :o :P

Thanks

u beat me to the Sky Q post thinking of doing the same

The thing you need to be careful of is that the new sky mini boxes do not have connections to the dish, they connect via wifi to the Sky Q hub or Netduma.  So they need to be on your R1 to be congestion controlled but not sure what they need to stream the content.

They do have built in power line adaptors but they are not on at launch and have to connect to the Sky Hub. Until someone works out which of the shelf ones will work with it  :o :P

The minis and the new skyQ main tv box all connect to each other over Skys power line eithernet (via the new SkyQ Hub) which provides the boxes with a network/internet connection. Each box connected to the hub then turns in to a WiFi access point for wifi devices i.e tablets (New Sky Q app) (there is a RJ45 box so fingers crossed u can direct hard wire).

The issue i can see with all this for gamers is that it all goes through the new hub and skips the R1. (sky devices go to hub via power line then out) 

My Question would be can we loop back from the new hub (only has 2 1 gig lan ports) and its connections back to the hub so it can sort the traffic via the R1??

• Administrators

The minis and the new skyQ main tv box all connect to each other over Skys power line eithernet (via the new SkyQ Hub) which provides the boxes with a network/internet connection. Each box connected to the hub then turns in to a WiFi access point for wifi devices i.e tablets (New Sky Q app) (there is a RJ45 box so fingers crossed u can direct hard wire).

The issue i can see with all this for gamers is that it all goes through the new hub and skips the R1. (sky devices go to hub via power line then out) 

My Question would be can we loop back from the new hub (only has 2 1 gig lan ports) and its connections back to the hub so it can sort the traffic via the R1??

Not sure, my initial thought is that it will have to be directly connected to the Sky hub so you wouldn't be able to. 

If anyone gets this soon would be interested to see what happens.

i ve just got my sky Q hub today and have a full sky Q package coming 1st of march, the software looks almost the same as another sky hub and nothing to fancy about the box got mine currently DMZ to my R1 like the old sky black (sr102) box,

As i understand from what im seeing and the docs i got the mini and sky q box will connect via wifi first (and eith i hope) so theirs no reason not to go via the R1, im hoping theirs a way to by pass the power line feature as its not enabled on current sky software(future update).

im seeing on twitter someone is using the sky hub wifi as there wifi (has better wifi with the sky q boxes i.e 5ghz via the wps), is that traffic able to go via the R1 with out 1 having to dbl back on its self and 2 able to access the wired network from the r1, im looking in to the sky q as im sure the boxes have a manual way to setup Wireless rather then the WPS

ok ticking "Access control panel from WAN(not recommend)" on the R1 allows feed back off the sky q wifi just have to make sure DHCP was turned off on the Sky hub and added a password to the R1

I get my sky q installed tomorrow. Going to hook up the new sky hub tonight.

So presume I can plug duma into sky hub (in DMZ) with all other connections on Duma including wifi? This is my current setup but I wasn't sure how the mini box connected as well as streaming to tablets. If they can just use duma wifi then should be ok.

the interface is the same as the other hubs so just need as u say dmz to the R1 on the new hub, the sky q box and the mini use wps to connect to the wifi which the R1 doesn't  not have,

One method i did was to hard wired my main q box and copied my R1 wifi settings to the sky hub,

turned the R1 wifi off set up the wps on both boxes with the sky hub,

then turned the sky hub wifi off and turned the R1 wifi back on and it all worked,

im now trying the other method of using the sky hubs wifi but that meant opening the R1 up to the wan and sky hub

the main reason im trying this out is to see if i can see a difference in wifi stability and any speed gains, as the sky hub, sky q and minis use 2.4 and 5 wireless.

im 99% sure the hot spot feature worked on both, just testing to see what works best. 

Ok I have Sky Q all installed with 1 mini box upstairs. Here is what I have done to make sure all traffic stays on R1 (for congestion control)..

phone line into Sky HUB router, ethernet into R1 (R1 put into DMZ on Sky HUB), any other ethernet connections into R1 only.

Wireless switched off on Sky HUB, wireless switched on with R1.

Sky Q connected to R1 via wireless. The setup allows you to type in a password if no WPS available (as per R1).

Sky mini paired with Sky Q which then uses the R1 wireless for any on-demand downloading etc.

The only thing you do not get with the above setup is the wireless signal booster feature. You have to connect the sky q into the Sky HUB for that feature to work. This would send the wireless signal upto the mini box (via powerline) then the mini box would broadcast the wifi signal at full strength.

I find my R1 wifi signal to be good enough round my house not to worry about the booster feature.

Interesting thing I found..

Sky Q box is broadcasting a 5g wifi signal at all times, this is called e.g. 'SKY1234'. This only gets used by the mini boxes if you connect Sky Q to a router via ethernet. I.e. if you hardwire Sky Q to R1, after pairing the mini it will show that its connected to this SKY1234 network. However I found a problem on the mini box when I tried this. The new EPG is netflix like with images representing tv shows, if you hardwire the Sky Q box, the mini wont show these images, Sky Q works as expected though. But all other features work as normal on the mini. Its a bit strange and will probably be sorted in a later update. The Sky engineer did say they were told not to use the ethernet when setting up, so I believe this is one of the reasons. That said, I did not try hardwiring Sky Q to the Sky HUB, which may have shown images on mini, but I of course want the traffic through R1.

Archived