MTU issue

Hi, having trouble with the Netduma.

Ok so everything seems to be set up just fine, but I've noticed my connection hangs from time to time when downloading certain websites on a device or performing certain tasks on the PS4 (viewing a twitch stream for example)

Upon running a test on netalyzr, it appears the Netduma is having trouble with the MTU which I believe is causing certain things to hang. I've tried auto (1500) and 1492 as that is what my Netgear router before it was set to which is the correct value for BT infinity.

Using letmecheck.it MTU test, it says I'm fragmenting packets and says to lower MTU to 1484. I do that, then it tells me to reduce it to 1476 etc. The test keeps fragmenting packets.

Any help would be grateful, is this a firmware bug or have I just set something up wrong?

Ok so everything seems to be set up just fine, but I've noticed my connection hangs from time to time when downloading certain websites on a device or performing certain tasks on the PS4 (viewing a twitch stream for example)

Upon running a test on netalyzr, it appears the Netduma is having trouble with the MTU which I believe is causing certain things to hang. I've tried auto (1500) and 1492 as that is what my Netgear router before it was set to which is the correct value for BT infinity.

Using letmecheck.it MTU test, it says I'm fragmenting packets and says to lower MTU to 1484. I do that, then it tells me to reduce it to 1476 etc. The test keeps fragmenting packets.

Any help would be grateful, is this a firmware bug or have I just set something up wrong?

Have you got any other computers in your house?

If so , can you try to download something and see if the same thing happens?

It could be a firewall issue (possibly) , so we can try to figure the issue out by the process of elimination

Not on hand I haven't but I can have a laptop to use tomorrow. What would you like me to download?

If it helps, this is the message netalyzr shows in the test report.

The path between your network and our system supports an MTU of at least 1476 bytes, and the path between our system and your network has an MTU of 1476 bytes. The path MTU bottleneck that fails to properly report the ICMP "too big" is between 195.99.127.173 and *. The path between our system and your network does not appear to report properly when the sender needs to fragment traffic.

I should also note I'm using the Netduma bridged with a Netgear D6400.

Do keep in mind that when Letmecheck.it runs its test that whatever numbers you're getting (non fragmented) you add 28.

So if you're suggested 1472 for example, the MTU would be 1500

My Internet is currently screwed. My Netgear D6400 modem/router now also has the same issue and my ISP have put it down to a fault and are in the process of fixing it.

Do you have a modem router combo too? If so I'd plug it in by itself and do the following on a PC. Open command line in admin mode and run a ping test. The number after 'l' depends on your MTU. So mine is 1492 because it's a pppoe connection. Remove 28 for the headers and that gives me 1464. If the test loses packets I'd get on to your ISP. Hope that helps.

Ping -n 5 -l 1464 (website address)

I'm currently using the hg612 openreach modem plugged into the netduma. can't use my homehub as i get a drop in speed due to it being a homehub 5 type a and my cabinet is huawei. I don't have issues setting it manually on my asus router only the netduma. It's a very basic feature on most routers that should work. will give it another go once the new firmware is released

• Administrators

Are you using pppoe? If so I suggest you use the oroginal device by BT that did PPPoE. 

We only added PPPoE support for the convenience of BT customers (so they didn't need a third device). However if you're having any issues the simple solution is use the original set-up which I believe ( I've never had BT ) is :

Some BT Modem > Some BT Router > Netduma > All Wired & Wi-Fi devices

Make sure you disable PPPoE on the Netduma here. 

Just posting an update to my issue sorry for hijacking the guys thread but felt we both had the same type of issue.

With the openreach modem connected to the duma i get these issues it seems due to the pppoe, not sure why the duma struggles with this as it is very common on most routers these days even if it was added as an afterthought.

Anyway with the bt homehub 5 on its own i get an mtu of 1488 not sure why but with the duma connected to it I get 1492 working perfect.

Sounds good but with the homehub I get a speed drop due to it being th Homehub 5 Type A and my cabinet is a huawei cabinet I lose like 7mb off my download speed.

Hours of live chat later being passed around from adviser to adviser and threatening to leave someone from bt finally agreed to send me the homehub 5 type b which should solve my speed issues as it uses the broadcom chipset.

Allot of hassle just to get the duma working as it should but at least it will be sorted when this new hub arrives.

• Administrators

Will the PPPoE functionality of the Netduma ever be fit for purpose? Can it be patched. I'd personally just like a modem > Netduma setup. I just think developing a router without proper PPPoE functionality was a bit of a shortsighted decision.

I'll ask Iain about this. 

agreed, also add MER option 61 for sky fibre please 

I don't think this will be added any time soon unfortunately. 

Apart from Virgin cable users virtually all other UK broadband users are going to need to use PPPoE. Seems like a significant user base to consider providing a mature PPPoE solution on the Netduma.

To configure an additional router with a Netduma is really going to limit your potential customer base. I think you're going to be asking too much of typical non-technical folk which will only result in negative perception and bad word of mouth. 

Just posting an update to my issue sorry for hijacking the guys thread but felt we both had the same type of issue.

With the openreach modem connected to the duma i get these issues it seems due to the pppoe, not sure why the duma struggles with this as it is very common on most routers these days even if it was added as an afterthought.

Anyway with the bt homehub 5 on its own i get an mtu of 1488 not sure why but with the duma connected to it I get 1492 working perfect.

Sounds good but with the homehub I get a speed drop due to it being th Homehub 5 Type A and my cabinet is a huawei cabinet I lose like 7mb off my download speed.

Hours of live chat later being passed around from adviser to adviser and threatening to leave someone from bt finally agreed to send me the homehub 5 type b which should solve my speed issues as it uses the broadcom chipset.

Allot of hassle just to get the duma working as it should but at least it will be sorted when this new hub arrives.

Sorry to also hijack but could you tell me how to tell if your Home Hub 5 is a type A or B?

Cheers.

• Administrators

Hi guys,

Just skimmed over the thread. Our PPPoE works well for many many customers. The only issue I'm aware of is it has a maximum throughput limit. I don't have PPPoE to test this on but I've heard it's around 20-30mbits mark. I don't see this as an issue for three reasons:

1. I believe most PPPoE users (which are rare, we sell worldwide not just UK) are using xDSL which is usually around those speeds
  2. The router does not have built-in hardware so there is not much you can do if you want higher speeds
  3. Finally the solution is simple just keep the existing hardware that does the PPPoE

We have a lot of features we'd like to add to the router. The fact that the solution is simply using existing equipment that the user will already have from their ISP means this problem is depriotised.

The original post in this tread was to do with MTU. We tested it thoroughly in the lab and it was working our end. If you have evidence please let Fraser know and I'll take a look at it after our next development cycle. But that won't be for a month or so. Again we need to prioritise tasks that will added the greatest benefits. This problem has a simple fix (i.e. use the existing hardware) so it is not as urgent.

Hope you understand, and thanks for supporting Netduma. 

I believe the issue I was having was down to tlmy ISP in the end, even if they wouldn't own up to it. Currently in process of changing ISP.

If I'm to setup as vdsl/router combo > R1 what MTU setting do I use? My MTU is 1492 so do I manually change the R1 to 1492 or does the auto function set it to the other routers value?

Archived