Extremely Bad Ping Spiking on LAN connection

I started snooping online to figure out why my internet diagnostic suddenly got worse. I decided to ping my lan connection and it turns out im getting insane spikes when i ping to my netduma router.

Photo of CMD Page:

post-1249-0-19459800-1453688240_thumb.png

http://imgur.com/a/U1bx3

These test were taken at around 9:30 p.m EST.

I have already tried factory resetting, regular rebooting, unplugging and plugging everything back in etc.

Any help would be appreciated because these spikes make it literally impossible to play Xbox.

I started snooping online to figure out why my internet diagnostic suddenly got worse. I decided to ping my lan connection and it turns out im getting insane spikes when i ping to my netduma router.

Photo of CMD Page:

attachicon.gifInternet Problems Once Again.png

http://imgur.com/a/U1bx3

These test were taken at around 9:30 p.m EST.

I have already tried factory resetting, regular rebooting, unplugging and plugging everything back in etc.

Any help would be appreciated because these spikes make it literally impossible to play Xbox.

I had the same issue with PS4' the in game ping was hitting 175-230 and the dropping to 50 needless to say it was a bad session ;)

MrWhooz Have you tested directly to the Netduma (Device ping testing > Ethernet > Netduma) to see if there is still spikes?

Have you changed out the Ethernet cable from your ISP router to the Netduma to rule out a bad cable?

Where did you placed your netduma... Beside your isp modem or somewhere else...?

Do you have access to your isp modem ? Have you assigned a static ip in the dhcp server for your netduma...? Also check out the firewall settings of your isp modem...

For any of you guys who haven't read some of Zennon's quality posts on the use of Ping Plotter and the like if you are overseas you need to do so.

When you are seeing massive spikes and significant line congestion, these are NOT things that the NetDuma can overcome.  They need to be addressed by the people you PAY for your internet service.

One of the other mods here, Fuzzy Clam, has an unbelievably bad ISP feed to the point of him considering other services just for his gaming needs.

These are not "rare" issues I am afraid.  I have personally built, or managed groups building, countless miles of coax and twisted pair plant in the US and on military bases in Korea and Japan.  I can assure you that not everything out there in the world is built to 100% manufacturer specs.  And the stuff that WASN'T touched, because of budget issues, was merely limping along at the time and would only be replaced on an "as needed" basis.

Trust me when I tell you a significant amount of the problems people are posting here, looking for an easy solution, can be traced back directly to problems outside your very house, or just a little ways down the road.

Download and run Ping Plotter guys - This will arm you with some REAL knowledge of what you are fighting.

YMMV,

JD

The problem MrWhooz is having is when pinging the duma he is seeing spikes directly from the duma no other hops, that's why i suggested the above :)

I saw that, it was the posts that came later that I was addressing and hoping to provide some information for future readers.  We have an awful lot of the "why can't the Duma fix THIS and a picture of a trainwreck" type threads.

MrWhooz Have you tested directly to the Netduma (Device ping testing > Ethernet > Netduma) to see if there is still spikes?

Have you changed out the Ethernet cable from your ISP router to the Netduma to rule out a bad cable?

Yes i have tested with both the included cat 6 cable, and then i also tested with a cat 5 e cable i had lying around.

Where did you placed your netduma... Beside your isp modem or somewhere else...?

Do you have access to your isp modem ? Have you assigned a static ip in the dhcp server for your netduma...? Also check out the firewall settings of your isp modem...

I have it places by the modem, and there is no firewall and i dont have the netduma assigned with a static ip address.

I have ruled the modem out by doing a ping test directly too it, the spikes i were having were about a max of 3ms on the modem (before the firewall was turned off). The thing that confuses me about this, is i wasnt having these problems before, they just started randomly happening.

Ive just tested mine and I am getting a straight 1ms to the duma no jitter, I will say that I have seen once that the ping to the duma was jittering and that I had to power recycle to get it back to normal.

Have you tried an misc settings reboot then retest?

Seems i have had no luck. 

I posted my modem log in the forum, and members said that my line quality appeared to be okay. Im looking into the modem as being the issue because with my old modem i wasnt having these issues.

Archived