Two Xbox One's. Any way to have open NAT on both in Black Ops 3?

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm unable to obtain an open NAT type in Black Ops 3 with the Netduma R1.  I could with a Netgear Nighthawk r7500v2, but it's not working with the R1.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've got it running with UPnP and no individual/range port forwarding. 

Regardless if I have the geofilter off, CC at 100%, UPnP table clear, fresh restart of all network devices and the Xbox Ones connecting wired right after a hard reset... Nothing will keep both consoles reflecting an open NAT type in Black Ops 3. I'm assuming Netgear can't be the only company who has figured this QoS out?

Not all upnp implementations are created the same.  Some companies routers with upnp can support multiple routers and some cannot. This may be something Netduma can look into implementing in a future update.  But definitely upnp is the way to go with multiple consoles and trying to get an open nat.  

The next statement is just fyi:

For example, Motorola, a very large and well known company, can't do UPnP correctly on any of their routers, at least well enough to support multiple consoles which have straightforward requirements.

For some using DDWRT for firmware solves their issues. It's known to work. Any router with DDWRT on it should be fine.

I completely agree. I was just saying the UPnP table was fresh, with no UPnP implemented rules in place upon my hard resets. You're right though. UPnP is the only way to go when getting two consoles to connect using the same external IP address from your ISP. I'm trying to understand if it is something the team has already looked into with the firmware, or if the hardware is preventing dual open NAT types in the game itself. I know it's possible with a Netgear Nighthawk r7500v2. Not sure of other Netgear models.

• Administrators

You can see the post I made about it here

I would say that if both consoles are open in network settings that is the most important thing. I believe BO3 determine NAT in some odd way. 

You could also give your consoles static IPs and see if that helps. 

They're both open in the Network Settings, but one is moderate in-game. However, when I was using a Nighthawk they were both open in-game... Is there a chance the Netduma UPnP isn't opening a port that the Netgear was? I'm sure this is affecting match making potential to some extent, especially if the "Moderate" console is playing solo? Just brainstorming out loud here...

bo3 mostly follows the last cod games with the increasing port numbers for multiple consoles

example: console 1 is udp 3075, console 2 is 3076, console 3 is 3077.

may have to manually forward 3076 for console 2 (after console 1 has opened 3075 via upnp or manual?)

hopefully someone will trace the upnp requests to see if the game actually sends a upnp open port or if it just says listen on 3076 (the beta didn't play nice with lots of upnpd)

I may give that a try. Hoping Fraser decides to make this a priority with the Netduma. That is honestly the only feature Netgear has this R1 beat on. Wireless wasn't overly important in my specific application.

So after port forwarding 3076 along with all of the usual ports the Netduma R1 uses in the UPnP table (3074, 3075, daemonware ports, etc etc), I can confirm black ops 3 doesn't report "open" NAT on console 2. Just "moderate". Considering a technical support call to Netgear to pick one of the technicians brains, see if I can get an idea of what they did with the Nighthawk to make it play nicely with Black Ops 3... It has to be a UPnP issue somehow. I know this game is odd about it but if anyone can figure it out I'm putting my faith in these Netduma guys. The support and willingness to develop innovation is unsurpassed in this industry.

Here's the most likely reason for the moderate

wickerwaka> The game will try to use UPnP if it is available, your success with this will depend on your router and your current port mappings. The games preferred port is 3074 on PC and PS4, 3075 on XBox One. It will try several ports above that if existing port mappings already exist on your router. If it can traverse your NAT on port 3074 (even if it ends up being moderate) it will not try other ports. We've considered putting in an advanced option for users where they can directly tell the game what port they want it to use.

Doesn't the netgear do port triggering? probably ends up with ports assigned to the other console until the timeout happens which would stop bo3 from traversing and then uses the higher ports?

• 5 months later...

I'm pretty pissed that this issue hasn't been resolved as of yet! The sole purpose of purchasing this NETDUMA router was to have complete management of OPEN NATs for two XBOX Ones so far tinkering around with the BS isn't cutting it! Fraser this NEEDS A FIX! NOW! after the last current update the Algorithm hasn't worked either. 

• Netduma Staff

I'm pretty pissed that this issue hasn't been resolved as of yet! The sole purpose of purchasing this NETDUMA router was to have complete management of OPEN NATs for two XBOX Ones so far tinkering around with the BS isn't cutting it! Fraser this NEEDS A FIX! NOW! after the last current update the Algorithm hasn't worked either. 

What a way to introduce your self! I suggest making your own thread and in there explain any issues you're having.

• Administrators

Please make a new thread for your issues. In short - R1 in DMZ. Disable port forwarding/UPnP on hub. Consoles should be open in network settings. Set static IPs for them and manually port forward according to https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games

I have two Xbox Ones and both have open NATs.

My Netduma is in the DMZ of my modem, static IP for the XBOXs and both are open NATs. I was anticipating having issues with the second, but all I did was connect to the network, assigned a static IP to the new Xbox, rebooted Xbox and router and it worked. Can't help with your issue, but it might help to know that it does work.

Archived