The fine line between constructive posts vs unconstructive posts

Netduma Luke

• Administrators

Well I guess this is a proper forum now we've had our first mini drama!

I've messaged Trolling Farm and said he is more than welcome to create a thread raising any constructive concerns etc he has about the next upgrade. After all, if we don't get feedback from you guys then how can we improve? However, the key word there is constructive. Some of the posts earlier this evening (not just from TF) were inflammatory and instead of creating a good conversation, spiralled into the sort of dialog more suited to YouTube comments. This is such a great community so let's not let it degrade into squabbles. If you have a some feedback / concerns, please post them constructively.

640px-Professor-Minerva-McGonagall-profe

To respond to some of the concerns raised:

ETA on the next upgrade

We expect to have an upgrade out soon. This is by far the longest gap between upgrades so I appreciate that for some it's frustrating. There are several reasons for this gap:

• When we launched, there were several things we had to fix as a matter of urgency e.g. lobby booting issues, so Iain was pretty much entirely focussed on bug squashing and quick improvements to the software e.g. Ping Assist
  • Now the software is stable, with all the teething issues resolved, we have been able to dedicate more time to research to make our next ground-breaking tech. Afterall, the Geo-filter wasn't coded in a couple of weeks, it takes months. So if there is a long gap in upgrades, it's because we're working on something big. We'll be releasing more info on Iain's latest breakthrough soon (hint: it's a big step forward on an existing feature)
  • The golden rule in business is under-promise, over-deliver. But we made a mistake here by thinking the research would not take as long as it has, meaning the upgrade is later than planned. It will be with you soon though, most likely released in stages so we can get it out to you as fast we can

It would be easy for me to say 'it's a free upgrade so don't moan' but honestly I don't believe that - we're aiming to constantly improve this router and our community is our greatest asset. After all, you all took a punt on a new router that made bold claims. Thankfully we haven't let you down, but you still trusted us with your money and we will always try to reward that trust.

Return ratio

We're very fortunate that the number of people requesting returns is phenomenally low - way lower than the average for a white good and it's pretty remarkable given that networking is a complicated area. This is almost entirely thanks to this forum - the amount of help you guys give to new users who are having issues is incredible, it's such a generous act and your collective contribution has allowed our small team to focus on growing the company, especially by freeing Iain up so he can get back to research to make new features which you will all benefit from over the coming months. This community is genuinely the thing I am most proud of when I think about Netduma.

Are the forum admins disrespectful?

No, they're fantastic. They have a hard job of maintaining the harmony of the forum without being tyrannical. It's a very hard balance and like any position of power, you cannot please everyone.

TL;DR:

large-4602-friends.jpg

• Administrators

whats the big deal about updates anyway my Duma is doing what it said it would when i bought it. End of.

Because_bcd3d9_675872.jpg

(Okay no more Harry Potter pics now)

"Trolling_Farm" lived up to his name because before this, I had not seen any kind of discourse on this forum, and I frequent it a lot. There may have been discord on other subforums, but that would have come out as well as these things usually do. Don't let one ego spoil the fruits of your labor, Luke :)

I am a moderator on a Twitch chat, so I know all the immaturity and disregard for authority that goes on out there in the digital ether.

The difference between this forum and a Twitch chat, however, is the general attitude of those posting.

Most come here for help and advice ("Is it worth it?") versus a Twitch stream where they can "hang out" and behave like wild animals.

This is why I like this community.

We may disagree, but the majority of us can express our disagreements in a respectul, non-condescending manner that doesn't draw attention to ourselves...

The main reason why Trolls do what they do beyond not having any social skills, on or off the internet.

Ok guys I have had my fair share of insults on forums before and on here a few people have taken a dislike to me because I have differing views to them and like to try to get them across, Mostly these issues have been discussed in an adult manner and have made for great debate and made me look at things that I may have not considered before.

I have had my share of abuse on here and tbh this is the first forum I have ever been a member of that I have actually blocked people simply because I am to old to deal with their shit.

If they have issues that they need to come on a public forum and call people names and try to disrupt things then they have much bigger issues going on than my views on internet gaming.

For the most part this is probably the best forum I have been a member of and a few people calling me names ain't going to stop me posting. I simply block them and carry on.

When some people first join this forum they come in with loads of aggression and attitude probably because that is what many forums are like, id say give them a chance to calm the fuck down. If that fails then it's up to the owners of the forum what to do with them.

I myself have with very small exceptions enjoyed my time here so far. As things grow a few bad apples will get through but hopefully will be put right or removed.

Cheers.

This has been coming for a while imo.

As Bagsta said, things grow / move on etc. Community grows and it is enevitable more conflicts will arise. But the boards have been less fun for a while which is why I drift in and out and now post less. Still lurking in background though, it's my normal MO after joining a board early and then watching things change.

There's always someone who has to spoil things :), whats the big deal about updates anyway my Duma is doing what it said it would when i bought it. End of.

Spoil what? Here we go again, Luke I talked to you in private and this thread has turned into nothing but NEGATIVE.

It also turns out Raddy can't read

I've messaged Trolling Farm and said he is more than welcome to create a thread raising any constructive concerns etc he has about the next upgrade. After all, if we don't get feedback from you guys then how can we improve? However, the key word there is constructive. Some of the posts earlier this evening (not just from TF) were inflammatory and instead of creating a good conversation, spiralled into the sort of dialog more suited to YouTube comments. This is such a great community so let's not let it degrade into squabbles. If you have a some feedback / concerns, please post them constructively.

JConner??????? Dude your just as dumb as Raddy. Please tell me where I lived up to my user name? Because I talked about an update?

"Trolling_Farm" lived up to his name because before this

Is this where we are right now even after Luke makes a positive post and you two ruin it. You should be proud of yourselfs to let everyone know you two are dicks at heart.

I think we need some more Harry Potter and Spongebob Luke! People still can't move past it.

This is getting ridiculous. Everybody needs to just chill out and let bygones be bygones. We know Iain is working on a massive update that takes a lot of time and hopefully generates an even better experience.

It would be nice however to get some small functionality updates in the meantime. Not to pull him away from the bigger update but I also don't know much about writing firmware either and how even doing little things take.

I know I have been a broken record about password protection on the device manager page, but it's hugely important to me and even more so to my wife. Never mind the scheduling I would really like implemented but I can wait on that because it's more complex.

JConner??????? Dude your just as dumb as Raddy. Please tell me where I lived up to my user name? Because I talked about an update?

"Trolling_Farm" lived up to his name because before this

Is this where we are right now even after Luke makes a positive post and you two ruin it. You should be proud of yourselfs to let everyone know you two are dicks at heart.

Do you even hear yourself?

Trypical Troll S.O.P.

Gets called out then tries to make it like everybody else are the ones at fault.

You know what, you're going on Ignore, pal.

It's obvious you are some entitled brat who mommy and daddy bought the R1 for because a real adult would not respond the way you have been. Either that, or you are a pathetic man child with no clue how to relate to people socially.

there is really no reason for ad hominem attacks against trolling_farm. yes, his diplomacy skills at this moment arent the best but verbally assaulting him and berating him isnt the best discourse. i should know, i make that mistake at times and its not the best of me. trolling_farm is just frustrated about the lack of updates lately. and trolling_farm, there is absolutely no reason to respond to them either. i know if feels insulting and potentially hurtful, i would be hurt reading the comments, but its not making you feel any better by responding either im sure.

i am however curious what he wants in the update so badly that he wants it now. if its this big stuff that Iain is working on then while TF is frustrated.... i am sure Iain is probably just as frustrated coding it all to make it work properly.

we have been told BIG THINGS ARE COMING, and i am excited they are.... really excited but i would rather wait 3 months for something that is solid and stable than something rushed out the door to just release it.

really excited but i would rather wait 3 months for something that is solid and stable than something rushed out the door to just release it.

Literally what I've said about every single device and piece of software released in the last 5 years lol. Games, phones, consoles, operating systems for computers and phones. Everything is an unfinished piece of junk anymore that us consumers are "beta testing"

There's always someone who has to spoil things :), whats the big deal about updates anyway my Duma is doing what it said it would when i bought it. End of.

I couldn't agree more. The only issues I have had have been self induced and the great members on this forum have helped me resolve them all.

No matter how good something is there is always a minority who feel compelled to find fault- in my experience the best solution is stay cool respond with class then ignore them.

Just my two cents worth.

DBy

Literally what I've said about every single device and piece of software released in the last 5 years lol. Games, phones, consoles, operating systems for computers and phones. Everything is an unfinished piece of junk anymore that us consumers are "beta testing"

You are right. I remember when Bill Gates sold his vapourware "DOS". The industry has been following this model since them, but I am please my R1 is not in that family of products, they deliver what they say.

DB

Unfortunately... I would recommend for the next update after this MASSIVE one, not to reveal until it is close to being completed. I'm tiered of companies pushing product that is remotely not complete just to please a few.I believe DUMA has don't a great job in pushing there updates at the right time and please do not change this philosophy. On the drama... say the drama for your mama... 

Well there are shortcomings right now for the R1 that do need to be updated for some of us ASAP and are easy things to implement that should of been there from the start ahem... Password protection.... So the R1 isn't perfect right now.

• Administrators

I must have missed all the drama heh! 

Buds sorry to hear that mate, if you have any suggestions pm us :) Also lets play some Halo now that team hardcore is out

Haha Iain, if we took your away from dev work to play halo I think the world would implode! :)

Don't worry, I'm still here in background waiting till you and Luke have some more time to game for Halo 5!

• Administrators

They have added team harcore so I get a sneaky game in here and there and its brilliant! Halo 3 MLG settings or Halo 2 hardcore settings. Best playlist of all time I reckon

Do you even hear yourself?

Trypical Troll S.O.P.

Gets called out then tries to make it like everybody else are the ones at fault.

You know what, you're going on Ignore, pal.

It's obvious you are some entitled brat who mommy and daddy bought the R1 for because a real adult would not respond the way you have been. Either that, or you are a pathetic man child with no clue how to relate to people socially.

Again before this where did I prove my name? My original question "Because I talked about an update? Unlike you I have backed up everything I have said on these forums. If you actually did read the forums & not half threads you would know how old I actually am. 

there is really no reason for ad hominem attacks against trolling_farm. yes, his diplomacy skills at this moment arent the best but verbally assaulting him and berating him isnt the best discourse. 

i am however curious what he wants in the update so badly that he wants it now. if its this big stuff that Iain is working on then while TF is frustrated.... i am sure Iain is probably just as frustrated coding it all to make it work properly.

1. People want to attack me because I takes about an update that the creators have talked about for months. People want to hate let them hate :) I enjoy knowing that they are upset enough to verbally assault me. It's like you said many times, some small hot fixes would be great.

2. Honestly I am playing ESO since it was released, all FPS games have gone to shit sadly :( So I am not really using my geo-filter. But I still come to these forums many times a day, more then most. I am watching the current active users not be as active. what it comes down to is the principle of the matter. They have said many times that beta was being tested and that an update would be released. I am done talking about the 3 weeks bs because I know I am right have supporting evidence from the past 3 months JConner!

In the end I will still be here active/posting. I don't even need to use my duma to be happy!

Take the current firmware we are on and slap a few hot fixes in it, make a few people happy for a few more months till the big boy is ready to be let out of his cage. The newer firmware sounds like it has changed so much, IDK game changer!

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL living up to his name. I should make that my sig.. Thanks Bro.

Archived