When Geofliter is on I can't connect to party chat and can't play with friends on Xbox live

I'm new to this sorry if this had been answered before as I'm sure it has but I can't seem to find it. When I turn on geoflitering I lose my nat setting and the xbox is stuck getting info. If I turn off the filter it works great. I've tried to start a party then start bo4 and then turn it on but I have the same issue. I tried a longer search radius and same issue. It worked great out of the box for 3 weeks and now this. I spent I've and hour and a half on the phone with tech support and no luck. Can someone please help? 

• Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, Reefer Deez said:

I'm new to this sorry if this had been answered before as I'm sure it has but I can't seem to find it. When I turn on geoflitering I lose my nat setting and the xbox is stuck getting info. If I turn off the filter it works great. I've tried to start a party then start bo4 and then turn it on but I have the same issue. I tried a longer search radius and same issue. It worked great out of the box for 3 weeks and now this. I spent I've and hour and a half on the phone with tech support and no luck. Can someone please help? 

Hi, welcome to the forum! This is definitely likely to be a NAT issue. Have you got UPnP (automatic port forwarding) enabled? If you do but you still encounter this issue, try disabling it and setting up manual port forwarding instead. To do this, google the ports your Xbox and Black Ops 4 need, then go to the Port Forwarding tab in Settings and set it up. Hopefully it should be relatively straight forward, but let us know if you need a hand with that :)

You've also indicated the Geo-Filter could be playing a part - maybe it's blocking a NAT / Chat server you need. Do you see anything blocked on the map when you make a party / try to use voice chat? What happens if you add that blocked server to your Allow list? Have you added your friends to the Allow list?

Thank you for your reply. I have tried turning off UPnP and doing port forwarding I went online and got the words that I needed to open for Xbox Live and bo4 and I still had the same issue tonight when I get home from work I will try and see if I see anything blocked when I'm searching. I have not yet tried to add my friends to the allowed list I will also look at that tonight when I get home from work. Thank you again for the reply

16 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

You've also indicated the Geo-Filter could be playing a part - maybe it's blocking a NAT / Chat server you need. Do you see anything blocked on the map when you make a party / try to use voice chat? What happens if you add that blocked server to your Allow list? Have you added your friends to the Allow list?

i've got this issue with fortnite when i play crossplatform. i'm on PS4 and my mate is on Xbox both in the UK. the server for chat comes up in the middle of USA . I have allowed it in the Geo-filter and rebooted the game but still can not talk. Now if i go into spectating mode all works fine. 

• Netduma Staff
11 minutes ago, flexingjohn said:

i've got this issue with fortnite when i play crossplatform. i'm on PS4 and my mate is on Xbox both in the UK. the server for chat comes up in the middle of USA . I have allowed it in the Geo-filter and rebooted the game but still can not talk. Now if i go into spectating mode all works fine. 

Do you and your friend have an open NAT? Do you still see servers being blocked when you try to connect to party chat? If you do, could you take a screenshot of the Ping panel for that server?

5 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Do you and your friend have an open NAT? Do you still see servers being blocked when you try to connect to party chat? If you do, could you take a screenshot of the Ping panel for that server?

Hi Jack

yes my friends do have Open NAT as there is 2 PS4 players and 2 xbox players. With me having the R1 dumaos i'm always host. 

so spec mode on - i can talk to everyone in the 4 man party absolutely fine.  Now if i want to use filtering mode even tho i have allowed that chat server it still gets blocked so i lose all party audio even tho the other 3 friends can talk but not me. that servers shows up as a Triangle with a circle around it. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

Hi Jack

yes my friends do have Open NAT as there is 2 PS4 players and 2 xbox players. With me having the R1 dumaos i'm always host. 

so spec mode on - i can talk to everyone in the 4 man party absolutely fine.  Now if i want to use filtering mode even tho i have allowed that chat server it still gets blocked so i lose all party audio even tho the other 3 friends can talk but not me. that servers shows up as a Triangle with a circle around it. 

Do your friends appear on your Map too? You would need to add them as well. Could you also take a screenshot the next time you see the triangle with a circle around it.

One workaround which might do the job is to enable spectating mode, initiate the chat, then go back to filtering mode. It's designed to not disable an active connection, so the chat server should then never be blocked.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Do your friends appear on your Map too? You would need to add them as well. Could you also take a screenshot the next time you see the triangle with a circle around it.

One workaround which might do the job is to enable spectating mode, initiate the chat, then go back to filtering mode. It's designed to not disable an active connection, so the chat server should then never be blocked.

When I do this the chat is still working but in bo4 when searching for a match it will get stuck on joining lobby and if left alone I will get an error message that reads lobby not joinable. But if I switch to spectator mode real quick it will load the lobby instantly 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Reefer Deez said:

When I do this the chat is still working but in bo4 when searching for a match it will get stuck on joining lobby and if left alone I will get an error message that reads lobby not joinable. But if I switch to spectator mode real quick it will load the lobby instantly 

Are you using Party Chat via the console, or the in-game chat? I assume console chat. So could you try this please:

1. Spectating Mode - invite all friends into chat and make sure you can hear
  2. Enable Filtering Mode - check you can still hear everyone
  3. Boot up BO4
  4. Invite friends to your lobby
  5. Search for games

You must be the party leader if you want your Geo-Filter to take affect. Otherwise you'll have the problem you described - the party leader will find lobbies you cannot connect to so you won't be able to join the game.

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Are you using Party Chat via the console, or the in-game chat? I assume console chat. So could you try this please:

1. Spectating Mode - invite all friends into chat and make sure you can hear
  2. Enable Filtering Mode - check you can still hear everyone
  3. Boot up BO4
  4. Invite friends to your lobby
  5. Search for games

You must be the party leader if you want your Geo-Filter to take affect. Otherwise you'll have the problem you described - the party leader will find lobbies you cannot connect to so you won't be able to join the game.

I have tried exactly what you suggested and when I search for a match I can't connect to anyone. The game prompts me that I'm joining a lobby and will not load the lobby and give me an error message stating lobby not joinable, but if I switch to spectator mode then I will load the lobby instantly 

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

this is in spectating mode and when i go back into filtering mode no game chat

1.PNG

Capture.PNG

6 minutes ago, flexingjohn said:

this is in spectating mode and when i go back into filtering mode no game chat

1.PNG

Capture.PNG

had the radius set full then went onto a game reduced the radius down as below and can talk in game with PS4 but not xbox players 

Capture.PNG

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Reefer Deez said:

I have tried exactly what you suggested and when I search for a match I can't connect to anyone. The game prompts me that I'm joining a lobby and will not load the lobby and give me an error message stating lobby not joinable, but if I switch to spectator mode then I will load the lobby instantly 

Is there anything that persistently appears in the same place on the map when this happens? If so could you provide its ID please

44 minutes ago, flexingjohn said:

without changing anything new server no game chat

So it sounds like the issue is that there are multiple chat servers possibly located in the same place hence the blocked triangle with the circle around it (likely one already allowed in that location) and you need to keep adding them, does that sound correct?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is there anything that persistently appears in the same place on the map when this happens? If so could you provide its ID please

So it sounds like the issue is that there are multiple chat servers possibly located in the same place hence the blocked triangle with the circle around it (likely one already allowed in that location) and you need to keep adding them, does that sound correct?

i have added everything what shows up but still no chat in game. 

12.PNG

14 minutes ago, flexingjohn said:

i have added everything what shows up but still no chat in game. 

12.PNG

ive added even more servers and now i can hear the party but they can't hear me? 

13.PNG

• Administrators

Seems like some of the ID's are ever so slightly different so will need to whitelist a range. Will pass on to the team. Doesn't really make sense that the chat is only one sided, if you switch to spectate when that happens does it work both ways?

• Administrators

If you switch back to filtering with all those allowed hosts does it work both sides now? There must be one missing when it's one sided, zoom in really close to where the icon appears as there may be one underneath to allow

• Administrators

Is there any icon being blocked in filtering mode opposed to spectating mode? There has to be one, it doesn't make sense otherwise. If you disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat options and leave it on filtering mode then does it work?

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is there any icon being blocked in filtering mode opposed to spectating mode? There has to be one, it doesn't make sense otherwise. If you disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat options and leave it on filtering mode then does it work?

i know i cant understand either. i have clicked on every symbol that's shows up and allowed them all. but i can not see anything else in the Geo-filter. and i will try and untick QoS tonight. 

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

i know i cant understand either. i have clicked on every symbol that's shows up and allowed them all. but i can not see anything else in the Geo-filter. and i will try and untick QoS tonight. 

This is a really strange one, but we'll get to the bottom of it. Please let us know what happens with QoS :)

23 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

This is a really strange one, but we'll get to the bottom of it. Please let us know what happens with QoS :)

l will, and just thinking (hurting my head lol ) do i need to have any port forwarding rules maybe?