Correct way of saturating your connection

• Administrators

It depends on your bandwidth but that's usually enough.

Running a speedtest at the same time is usually a good idea as well. That will fill up any remaining gaps.

I use just a speed test as that will try to and usually does saturate your download then upload there after.

If you run a test at 100% first you will see what the line will look like jitter wise with no congestion control and then a test at 70% to show you how much the congestion control stops jitter / local congestion.

Anytime to check how well the congestion control works.

If you are checking for ISP issues like congestion from their network and not yours then test at peak times so like 6pm to 10pm as that is when an ISP would be under the most stress.

• Administrators

When you mean you use speedtest to saturate your line I resume your using speedtest.net

That's what I meant and I'm 99% sure that's what Zennon will have meant too!

Speedtest.net will do and you only need to check once or twice, its for you to see how well congestion control works, then it's set to 70% each way and forget.

Unless you are testing for ISP congestion then you would run ping plotter for a longer period while you or any other member of your network does not use the internet.

• Administrators

so when yi run both speed test at the same time what sure i be looking in to it ?

You'd be looking at ping plotter to see if ping is going up.

-------

Just my two cents, I use Torrents to saturate my connection as they will continue on for awhile and they always try to download at the highest rate possible. 

I use Ubuntu's torrent download option to keep it legal