Development - Network Monitor (Round one)

• Administrators

I think it'd be useful for a historical monitor to show ping/jitter/bandwidth over the course of an online game for just the game as well as the entire connection. i.e. track the peers/host ping and allow for selecting the time frame of the stats.

That's more of a Geo-filter suggestion but great idea!

• 3 weeks later...

All I really want is to be able to hard cap a specific IP on the network with a specific rate. Right now the pie chart is visually nice but with tons of devices on my network I can't really set one item capped correctly.

Me too! A specific amount rather than a %.

Make sure you remember to post this in the development thread for 'Device Prioritisation' when it gets started (although I will be posting this and I expect it's already on the books as it's well requested in the 'suggestions' thread already.

1. Sometimes its difficult to tell which device a colour on the chart refers to, mouse over on the chart with a pop up describing the specific device would help.

2. Allow pcap filters to be applied to display

3. Allow pcap files (full packet) to be captured and downloaded for analysis

4. Alerts (email) on common issues, high ping, high jitter, internet down, high bandwith usage, high network errors, etc.

4. Questions I would like to answer with monitoring

a) what internet bandwidth am I using and which devices are using the bandwidth

B) how stable is my internet connection, i.e. jitter, buffer bloat, dropped packets, retransmission, tcp window zero/size, etc.

c) what is the latency of my internet connection (min, avg, peak), i.e. ping

d) what are the errors on my local network and source of errors, device/port

e) is my internet up or down and historical availability (evidence for ISP)

My personal suggestions for the Netduma:

- some more slots for devices in the geofilter section (1 geofilter for 4 devices is not enough for me ;-) )

- a seperate geofilter for each device slot

- user-defined geofilter settings (-> geofilter by port range for e.g. udp 10000-65535)

- WiiU geofilter WITH ping assist

- Connection viewer (IPs, ports, amount of data sent/received = the same feature is present in OpenWRT)

- Selection to ban servers temporarily or for permanent (no bad dedicated server again)

- Instead of the Ping diagnosis test pinging 8.8.8.8 to see the last mile ping, just run a link in the browser to the site www.dslreports.com with pre-defined settings
  for advanced testing results (such as bufferbloat, quality and speed)

- restart the Netduma automatically once a day at a user-defined time of the day to refresh the device status

- hide the SSID of the wifi network thus making it harder for amateur hackers to spot your network and put it at a risk

That's it.   :)

Sorry about posting this in the wrong spot. Device Prioritization VS Network monitor. It would be really nice if They were on the same tab. So I can make a change or cap a device and watch the real time effect on the Net Monitor. In general it would be nice to have choice in putting a page together with the monitors a person selects. Like have it so I can see my local network activity and the filter on the same page if I choose. Or network monitor and ping graph. Etc.. Like customizable dash.

Not sure if it's possible,or even relevant to this section, but maybe a connection health status of some kind? Giving info about accurate ping/jitter/speed etc and diagnostic tools like an in built ping plotter for example?

I've read that the next Firmware may have some ping wizardry included so the above may not even be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see all the nitty gritty details in a history graph but would also like to be able to "bookmark" a session so to find it easier.

Don't forget about the parental controls to keep those kids in check!