Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Development - Network Monitor (Round one)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

currently my biggest concern with the network monitor is that when i click into the monitor to see the pie-diagramm of which device uses what amound of connection percentage it just wont work

usually it only shows one big pie in a random color and i manually have to untick boxes to see which device is actually demanding so much connection

(with lots of devices certain colors are 3-5 times there which makes it even more annoying)

why not have an axis to the right of the monitor that directly shows live which graph comes from which device?

then you wouldnt need to look up which devices all have the color green and which of those is actually the one using so much speed

another thing that doesnt fully fit but id like to adress it

in my country pretty much all internet connections have a 24h disconnect to refresh the ip, it would be nice if the R1 has an option to set the timeframe for that reset

right now the timeframe of the connection reset is determined by the time you reset the router, eg if i powercycle the router on 2AM then the connection reset will always be at 2AM

yeah its a workaround but all other routers do have such a functionality and im sure Iain can realize this in less than 3 hours

sidestep6

sidestep6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

It can be done in OpenWRT and DD-WRT, nothing illegal about it, it's immoral for individuals to then take this info and use it with bad intent but that is not the fault of any 3rd party router software developer.

You don't even need OpenWRT or DD-WRT to see that kind of information. Almost every router out there provides logs of the traffic including ips, ports, protocols used.

A7Legit

A7Legit

#DatHitDetection

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

You don't even need OpenWRT or DD-WRT to see that kind of information. Almost every router out there provides logs of the traffic including ips, ports, protocols used.

Whilst that may be the case, the Duma is based off of OpenWRT, which was why I mentioned it.

billcline

billcline

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I love the real time analysis

blackJaxs

blackJaxs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I think it'd be useful for a historical monitor to show ping/jitter/bandwidth over the course of an online game for just the game as well as the entire connection. i.e. track the peers/host ping and allow for selecting the time frame of the stats.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,576 posts

I think it'd be useful for a historical monitor to show ping/jitter/bandwidth over the course of an online game for just the game as well as the entire connection. i.e. track the peers/host ping and allow for selecting the time frame of the stats.

That's more of a Geo-filter suggestion but great idea!

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

maazsk97

maazsk97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

I want a feature which can show me the overall bandwidth used per month from all the devices in my house. Useful for catching bandwidth hoggers and limiting their bandwidth lol.

Mr Crowley

Mr Crowley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

All I really want is to be able to hard cap a specific IP on the network with a specific rate. Right now the pie chart is visually nice but with tons of devices on my network I can't really set one item capped correctly.

ColonicBoom

ColonicBoom

mum said i'm special

• Moderators
  • 3,024 posts

All I really want is to be able to hard cap a specific IP on the network with a specific rate. Right now the pie chart is visually nice but with tons of devices on my network I can't really set one item capped correctly.

Me too! A specific amount rather than a %.

Make sure you remember to post this in the development thread for 'Device Prioritisation' when it gets started (although I will be posting this and I expect it's already on the books as it's well requested in the 'suggestions' thread already.

I like cats and cheese and CoD. Don't mix them up, it'll ruin your lunch and your Xbox. And your cat.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,576 posts

When we get to that we'll endeavour to get that implemented.

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

david

david

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

1. Sometimes its difficult to tell which device a colour on the chart refers to, mouse over on the chart with a pop up describing the specific device would help.

2. Allow pcap filters to be applied to display

3. Allow pcap files (full packet) to be captured and downloaded for analysis

4. Alerts (email) on common issues, high ping, high jitter, internet down, high bandwith usage, high network errors, etc.

4. Questions I would like to answer with monitoring

a) what internet bandwidth am I using and which devices are using the bandwidth

B) how stable is my internet connection, i.e. jitter, buffer bloat, dropped packets, retransmission, tcp window zero/size, etc.

c) what is the latency of my internet connection (min, avg, peak), i.e. ping

d) what are the errors on my local network and source of errors, device/port

e) is my internet up or down and historical availability (evidence for ISP)

KayOneX-24

KayOneX-24

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

My personal suggestions for the Netduma:

- some more slots for devices in the geofilter section (1 geofilter for 4 devices is not enough for me ;-) )

- a seperate geofilter for each device slot

- user-defined geofilter settings (-> geofilter by port range for e.g. udp 10000-65535)

- WiiU geofilter WITH ping assist

- Connection viewer (IPs, ports, amount of data sent/received = the same feature is present in OpenWRT)

- Selection to ban servers temporarily or for permanent (no bad dedicated server again)

- Instead of the Ping diagnosis test pinging 8.8.8.8 to see the last mile ping, just run a link in the browser to the site www.dslreports.com with pre-defined settings
  for advanced testing results (such as bufferbloat, quality and speed)

- restart the Netduma automatically once a day at a user-defined time of the day to refresh the device status

- hide the SSID of the wifi network thus making it harder for amateur hackers to spot your network and put it at a risk

That's it.   :)

KayOneX-24.png

BF4 PS4

KayOneX24.png

BF4 XBONE

xXxKayOneX24xXx.png

BF4 PC

KayOneX24.png

BFH XBONE

5854458.png 6720009.png

...Listening to the music of Rocco Hunt while playing...

Mr Crowley

Mr Crowley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry about posting this in the wrong spot. Device Prioritization VS Network monitor. It would be really nice if They were on the same tab. So I can make a change or cap a device and watch the real time effect on the Net Monitor. In general it would be nice to have choice in putting a page together with the monitors a person selects. Like have it so I can see my local network activity and the filter on the same page if I choose. Or network monitor and ping graph. Etc.. Like customizable dash.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,576 posts

Great suggestions guys, keep them coming. We'll see what we can do!

Time Converter

slashformayor

slashformayor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Not sure if it's possible,or even relevant to this section, but maybe a connection health status of some kind? Giving info about accurate ping/jitter/speed etc and diagnostic tools like an in built ping plotter for example?

I've read that the next Firmware may have some ping wizardry included so the above may not even be needed.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,576 posts

We'll try and give you as much information as possible to diagnose your connection :)

Time Converter

II N3MES1S II

II N3MES1S II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

I want to see all the nitty gritty details in a history graph but would also like to be able to "bookmark" a session so to find it easier.

Don't forget about the parental controls to keep those kids in check!