General knowledge about ping

Let say that I have a good connection with good jitter/ no loss etc, is having a 10/2 (dl/up) connection and 20/4 connection speed improve my ping for a long distance host/server.

Not sure it's clear but how the speed impact the ping ?

Ping is the speed of your internet, bandwidth is a wider width for the packets to travel in so when you need more width for say a stream or download then you can send and receive more.

So if you are staying with the same ISP with the same routing then upping your bandwidth "should" not affect your ping.

I went from ADSL to fibre with the same ISP and the same routing and my ping has stayed the same.

The only time it would change is if at a higher width the line becomes unstable and then interleaving is added to correct the errors, the ping would rise as interleaving adds latency.

Thank you for the reply, because I see many people talking about the speed but for gaming the ping is one of the most important component, of course it needs to be "stable" and I also asked this question as I am far away from you guys, somewhere in Indonesia, so I wanted to know if upgrading my speed will allow me to reduce my ping. I think my base ping is around 35 which I'm pretty happy with.

35ms ping maybe the distance and back to the nearest Google server 8.8.8.8

Try a pingtest.net or speedtest.net test pick a close server to yourself to see if that is the case.

35ms ping maybe the distance and back to the nearest Google server 8.8.8.8

Try a pingtest.net or speedtest.net test pick a close server to yourself to see if that is the case.

You are correct this is the closest google server to me, when I do pingtest my ping is 3 ms sometimes 4 ms

You are correct this is the closest google server to me, when I do pingtest my ping is 3 ms sometimes 4 ms

I would love to be gaming at your house with that ping if it carries over to your console

Guys, this is with speedtest, so it takes only the closest server to me which happen is very close from where I live.

the fact that I am in small town makes it difficult to me to find games on BO3 but I think I found good settings for me as I can find games around 30 to 50 ms but when I look for any dedi server it goes above 100 ms.

• Administrators

Are you using the Netduma pesiss? If not you are probably connecting to far away servers. That's why people use our Geo-Filter to reduce game ping. The one that actually matters. Hope that makes sense :)

Are you using the Netduma pesiss? If not you are probably connecting to far away servers. That's why people use our Geo-Filter to reduce game ping. The one that actually matters. Hope that makes sense :)

Yes I am using the Duma and it works pretty well, I can find host with stable ping, not always but let say 75 % of the time it's stable with low ping, so the Duma is doing great here.

Just quick question, If I change any setting for my geofilter, do I need to reboot the router  (DUMA)?

Yes I am using the Duma and it works pretty well, I can find host with stable ping, not always but let say 75 % of the time it's stable with low ping, so the Duma is doing great here.

Just quick question, If I change any setting for my geofilter, do I need to reboot the router (DUMA)?

I believe when you change settings they don't save straight away but if you change settings then reboot it saves settings straight away

• Netduma Staff

Just quick question, If I change any setting for my geofilter, do I need to reboot the router  (DUMA)?

You only need to reboot for them to hard-save (in case of a power outage or something). Settings you change will take effect straight away :)

Archived