Problems with speed.

I've been having an on going issue with speeds for a few weeks/month, I pay for 80mbps 20mbps and normally got 70-75 17/18 and 10ping, recently been getting 40> and 10>. Had a bt engineer round and confirmed there is no problem with my line etc and speed tested it to be 70+ on his device into socket. I've tried 2 different modems and confirmed that it is not a modem at fault and used a different router and got 70+. So defiantly a problem with the Duma, tried to factory reset and then do all settings again and got 70mbps for an hour or so and then straight back down to 40>. Tried all settings and gone through a 1-1 with Fraser and confirmed the settings are correct. Completely stumped. The problem defiantly lies with the netduma but all setting etc are correct, could this be a faulty unit?

yeah bt infinity 2, without a problem with the netduma though, just rebooted in misc and straight back up o 70mbps. this literally happns constantly and will last about an hour then id have to reboot for full speed again have to repeat this process every single day

• Netduma Staff

yeah bt infinity 2, without a problem with the netduma though, just rebooted in misc and straight back up o 70mbps. this literally happns constantly and will last about an hour then id have to reboot for full speed again have to repeat this process every single day

Do you have the BT HomeHub that you could use as your modem instead to see if it works with that?

So far everything seems okay, updated firmware on Draytek and played with a few settings then rebooted both, currently got 75 down 20up so seems okay for now. will update Fraser with any progress/problems when I monitor it for a few days

• Administrators

Hi mate,

Fraser won't be here till next Tuesday. But from what i heard of the problem it would definitely be pppoe. We added that afterwards because people didn't want an intermediate router but its definitely more of an after thought tbh. 

No problem mate!, yeah I'm guessing it could be, all seems okay for now though seems to be a lot more stable. Is this a problem that you know about then I'm guessing? Will there be a fix for it?

• Administrators

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a fix.

PPPoE is another protocol and the router has to do a bunch of work to get packets out using it. Long story short I imagine you're using all your clock cycles doing pppoe as the router can't do it in hardware as other routers that are designed for it can.

For some reason I wasn't able to connect to the Internet in bridge mode with PPPoE disabled, never really had this speed issue until the newest update though?

Yeah that's one of the settings that I've changed on the modem now, and updated it to the newest software. Seems to still be okay now

I have a 130 also, how should I best connect my combination of equipment?

Today I have

Draytek Vigor 130 > R1 > ASUS ACU87 (for Wifi)

Before I had my R1 i was simply configured

Draytek Vigor 130 > ASUS ACU87 

Should I be reconfiguring as below if there are issues with PPPOE?

Draytek Vigor 130 > ASUS ACU87 > R1 (in DMZ)

Are there any downside to this configuration?

Personally I have wall > vigor > r1, make sure the software is upto date on the 130 and change your connection to either vdsl or dsl and then to PPPoE on you 130

• Administrators

Hi Happy Little Chap.

The key concept of locating the Netduma is this:

• It needs as many devices going through it for congestion control to work. E.g. R1
  • Every non modem (or bridge mode router ) in front of the router should DMZ the following one so that your NAT is open. See this link for more help with this:

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=how_do_i_open_my_nat

Hope that helps. Merry Xmas!

Archived