Firmware issues? Please help

I will post screen shots of as much As I can when I get home today. But basically I think I got a bad flash when I updated to the newest firmware.

It started with only some settings not saving properly. A reboot from the web gui usually fixed it. Then all of a sudden no settings would save and a reboot from the web gui would not do anything. Running a network diagnostic resulted in all terrible and loss13. So I did a reboot by unplugging the router and refreshing each page by control f5. That seemed to fix the settings issue and now I get good, excellent, excellent and no loss. But when I go to the Von page it says that it appears I am using the old Von settings and says to reconnect to Vpn but disabling and reenabling the Von doesn't work.

Yeah I hit apply then go to a different page and go back to vpn but it doesn't save. The other pages only save if I press f5 before and after making changes. The f5 trick doesn't work with Vpn though today it hasn't said that I'm using the old version.

• Netduma Staff

Yeah I hit apply then go to a different page and go back to vpn but it doesn't save. The other pages only save if I press f5 before and after making changes. The f5 trick doesn't work with Vpn though today it hasn't said that I'm using the old version.

Try rebooting the router and make sure you are using Google Chrome as your browser :)

I always use chrome. I have rebooted router multiple times. At one time even rebooting from the web gui didn't work so I had to reboot by unplugging the power.

I'm having trouble posting my screenshots from my phone. But with the vpn it will often say failed to connect when trying to enable. After leaving page and going back it will say disconnected but show enabled as ticked. Clicking apply gets the failed to connect result. I've been trying to post screenshots but having trouble from my iPhone.

Should I do a factory reset? I know that is only recommended if directed by a Netduma team member.

The firmware is very buggy. Is this normal or is something wrong with mine? I followed the update instructions when I installed the newest firmware, used wired connection to laptop and everything.

Is there a way to clear the nvram and reflash the latest firmware? Or should I just suffer through to the next update?

I don't want to screw anything up. So I will follow whatever advice the admins provide. Perhaps a remote login to my router to see it first hand.

It's all good, I know you guys have lives and stuff to do too.

I did the factory reset from settings > miscellaneous

When I went to the vpn page I got the same dialog box as before, I didn't change anything on that page yet except clicking ok in the dialog box.

My screenshot of the vpn page.

1450743751-U5405.jpg

1450743792-U5405.jpg

I have to say on fast setup under VPN tab it always stays ticked for me in enabled! I untick and click apply then go to another page and return and the box is ticked again lol. I just thought it was meant to be ticked all the time in the fast setup VPN section. Obviously under the other setup VPN tab it is untucked and disabled!

I have to say on fast setup under VPN tab it always stays ticked for me in enabled! I untick and click apply then go to another page and return and the box is ticked again lol. I just thought it was meant to be ticked all the time in the fast setup VPN section. Obviously under the other setup VPN tab it is untucked and disabled!

I'm more concerned with the dialog box I get at the top of the page about VPN using the old settings and recommending to disable and tee able. Only the last time I tried it was unable to reconnect. It would say failed to connect and disabled every time I tried to enable it.

So my problem is its using the old Vpn settings and factory reset doesn't fix. When attempting to disable and reconnect it is never able to reconnect.

• Netduma Staff

I'm more concerned with the dialog box I get at the top of the page about VPN using the old settings and recommending to disable and tee able. Only the last time I tried it was unable to reconnect. It would say failed to connect and disabled every time I tried to enable it.

So my problem is its using the old Vpn settings and factory reset doesn't fix. When attempting to disable and reconnect it is never able to reconnect.

That sounds like you might not have a VPN provider?

Ah right you are. I didn't even think about that I got so distracted by the dialog box about using the old settings.

Between that and some of the other issues I have had with settings not saving properly I thought I might have an issue with a bad flash. Sorry to waste your time.

• Netduma Staff

Ah right you are. I didn't even think about that I got so distracted by the dialog box about using the old settings.

Between that and some of the other issues I have had with settings not saving properly I thought I might have an issue with a bad flash. Sorry to waste your time.

It's no problem :) Is everything sorted on the router now?

Assuming the old Vpn settings issue gets resolved once I actually set up a vpn.

The settings not saving issue seems to be resolved but it might take a couple days after the factory reset before it starts again. It would be a little annoying to need to reset a few times a week.

The other issues I have I just assume are normal. When playing black ops the ping host is loading most of the time and then works briefly before trying to load again. Sometimes it works smoothly though.

And my home location default on the geo map is a couple states away, the same location that most of the hosts show up at in Kansas (must be the Xbox/BO3 server location). Makes me wonder if it kind of bypasses the geo filter, such as when players connect to it the netduma sees that as their location. So if a person outside my geo filter is the host but connected through that server I would be able to connect to that game. It would appear as if they were a couple states away but could be in Alaska therefore causing more lag. Every time I get a game it shows the host in that same spot but it is almost always a different address and pings range from around 40 ms to 80ms for some hosts. I guess it's just a dedi server warehouse with multiple servers. I can rate the host each time though.

I relocate the home location and with the radius I use the Kansas spot is the only place I connect to. If I expand the circle a little bit I can get some games from the east coast of the US but I figure since Kansas is closer that that should be better.

• Administrators

Hi Pete,

Don't worry too much about all the info. There are many servers, lots of players etc. The key is to minimise the ping to the host which it sounds like you're doing.

Settings that actually change the function of the router always save for example changing distance, changing congestion control, changing your home etc. However superficial commands do not save by default for example toggling the display of the legend on the map. If you want the superficial settings to be saved go to "Settings > Misc" and tick enable cookies.

Finally I think the VPN is working fine, you just need to connect to one. However this will normally cost you as VPN providers are not free. Unless you have a good reason to use a VPN I would highly recommend not doing so.

with the settings, they started out saving fine, after a while of tweaking the settings to try and find my sweet spot i noticed nothing was saving correctly.  I did some reboots from the web interface but didn't help then the web interface wouldn't work to do a reboot either.  I did a reboot by unplugging the router and that fixed it for a little while then it started again.  I did a factory reset the other day and everything seems good for now.  Hopefully it stays that way.

Archived