Setup Question For New House Using 2 Routers

Hey guys, have a question on if this should work ok and hopefully be fairly simple to setup.  So my wife and I are building a new house.  In the new house the basement will be my man cave area with my gaming setup.  This is how I figure the internet setup will go:

- First floor living room the internet hookup from ISP

- ISP Modem hooked to my regular router for good wireless coverage for the main floor & 2nd floor (call it network A for example)

- Ethernet cord going from main modem to ethernet port in living room.  Ethernet port going from the living room upstairs (main floor) to the basement

- Will have to install a switch into the fuse box and connect my Netduma from the ethernet line running from the living room to the basement (this is what I     was told from the rep who does the wiring)

- Then connect the ethernet cord from the basement port to one of the ports on the back of the Netduma

- I plan to just use the Netduma for the basement wifi (call it network B) & to hardwire directly into my XboxOne through the installed ethernet port

Hopefully that makes sense.  I have a few months before we move in, just trying to see if this should work ok.  It would basically be in this order: ISP Modem, Main Router, then Netduma running off this.

I know I have read the preferred way to run multiple routers is to go: ISP Modem, Netduma, then main router.  Should this be fairly straightforward or is there some additional steps that are required to do this.  Thanks for the help!

I actually run a similar setup, except opposite of what you said. I have my modem and netduma in the basement where I'm at, and an ethernet ran upstairs to my AC router for the rest of the house... If possible, use a cable connection in the basement to connect your modem and netduma, then run your router upstairs in AP mode for everyone else. If the house is being built it's actually ideal to do this, you can run your modem directly off the main line coming in the house instead of behind some splitters.

I didn't think it mattered, but since switching to the netduma as my main router it's helped me out. I have 180/10 from Comcast and the congestion control helped me stop the ping spikes when someone is uploading since 10mbps isn't much. I just set the congestion control slider to 99% and it eliminates someone else from killing my connection from an upload.

If it's not possible to have your modem in the basement (which shouldn't be an issue to ask for a cable hook up since your house is being built) then you could also do modem>netduma(no wifi)>2nd router and off the netduma run your ethernet to the basement and then a switch on that. This way you get the benefit of having the netduma first... Any good secondary router should be able to provide you with wifi throughout the house. I have a TP-Link Archer C7 and I get wifi everywhere.

If it were me I would definitely run all devices LAN and WAN through my duma as the congestion control is the king of all QOS, it is one of the best features of the Netduma.

It stop's local congestion resulting in lag, my son can stream 1080p and my ping only rises by 1ms for me that's incredible as it would have been in the hundreds without it..

Thanks for the replies!  I really just use the Netduma for the host filtering so it sounds like this should work well.  I may check on having the main internet feed for the house come in the basement to connect the ISP modem, Netduma then use the ethernet port going from the basement to the living room for the main household router.  Either way, sounds like I should be good to go.

• 2 months later...

Well we finally got moved in last week, the move was a little crazy, but we made it.  Ended up closing 2 houses the same day and packing our entire house/moving in 1 day.  Ridiculous haha.  Anyway, I did end up having the main internet feed coming into the basement where the man cave is.  So, I currently have the modem and Netduma in the basement, no issues there.  I have a few questions on setting up my 2nd router upstairs (ethernet port already installed running off the Netduma.  I have my 2nd router and understand I will need to put it into bridge mode.  I found this step by step instruction for a Linksys router http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=143751.

I have the following questions on the set up:

- on step 7, where do I find the Internet IPv4 Address for the Linksys router?  Can I find it on the setup page of the router itself?

- the subnet mask needs to be the same value as the Netduma, can I find that on the Netduma setup/home page for my router?

- the default gateway is the IP address of the Netduma, can I find that on the Netduma setup/home page for my router?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I will probably be setting this up within the next day or so. 

For step 7, use one of the IPs that isn't used for DHCP (by default 192.168.88.2 to 192.168.88.100). Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and default gateway is 192.168.88.1 :)

Thanks for the quick reply!  Forgive my ignorance on this, but for the IP that isn't used for DHCP (not sure what DHCP is) the IP I enter should be between 192.168.88.2 to 192.168.88.100 do I just make one up (192.168.88.25 for example)??

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for the quick reply!  Forgive my ignorance on this, but for the IP that isn't used for DHCP (not sure what DHCP is) the IP I enter should be between 192.168.88.2 to 192.168.88.100 do I just make one up (192.168.88.25 for example)??

Yes, just make one up :) 192.168.88.25 should be fine!

Archived