net duma r1 broken

ok very annoyed right now but here is the situation
i got home 2 hours ago and had no internet, turned off everything, back on ...no go

so i call virgin media up, all is well thier end,
we turned the superhub back to router mode and all things worked
connected the duma to the superhub and all things connected to it lost internet access, i could access the duma page and it told me it could not access external sources.... software reset the duma....no go....hardware reset the duma ...no go... put the super hub back to modem mode and connected the duma...no internet... hooked it up with a different cable....no internet

devices seem to be complaining about the dns server when going through the duma, and the duma itself cant connect.
so my r1 duma is right now a very expensive paper weight and i am understandably very pissed off

at this minute the duma sits on the table with its power pulled and im debating the cost of sending it back.

My plan right now is to game for what little time i have before i need to sleep (2 hours of network configuring is NOT how i wanted to spend my time after work and a new router should not go wrong this soon) then sleep, will check this again when calmer and more able to assess the situation.

Hi Mrgreaper

I've had that message before saying it 'cannot load external sources' but with a refresh its normal again.

Now that you have software/hardware reset it, could you check  Settings> Lan and see if DHCP is enabled and also tick the auto dns in the DNS box, if you haven't already, cheers

If its a DNS error & you haven't changed your dns to Google dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) then try those as well please.

Hi,

I've had this problem with my ISP before. The problem has ALWAYS been caused due to DHCP reservations of the ISP.

The only solution really is to wait it out until your IP is released and can become associated with the R1 router. It should be resolved within 24 hours.

ok plugged it back in (massive spark as i pluged the power into the back! that cant be good)
it is now functioning ...sort of
i get internet through it but i can not change any of the settings in misc (they just revert back, even after a reboot) so its back to being stuck at super slow speed.

Hi Mrgreaper

I've had that message before saying it 'cannot load external sources' but with a refresh its normal again.

Now that you have software/hardware reset it, could you check  Settings> Lan and see if DHCP is enabled and also tick the auto dns in the DNS box, if you haven't already, cheers

If its a DNS error & you haven't changed your dns to Google dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) then try those as well please.

dhcp and auto dns were ticked, and i tired that dns on the ps4 (we were using my laptop, wired and a ps4 wired to do the tests to ensure it was not my laptop or ps4 that was the issue. the change of dns server did not help

Is there an IP after WAN IP in device manager?

the ip did indeed show up there last night, including the new ip i got assigned during the 2 hour phone call to my isp tech support

Reboot the Netduma from Setting misc settings and this should bring it back, this happened once to me and this way of rebooting brought the net back up.

tried that a few times to no avail. though leaving it off unplugged all night seems to have it in a semi functioning state

Hi,

I've had this problem with my ISP before. The problem has ALWAYS been caused due to DHCP reservations of the ISP.

The only solution really is to wait it out until your IP is released and can become associated with the R1 router. It should be resolved within 24 hours.

the dhcp reservations were on the routers side, my isps router was on modem mode, the duma had gone so screwed up that i could not access my isps routers own page through it, had to direct connect to the isps router, during the phone call to tech support i was assaigned a new wan ip, we tested different ables, setting the isp router back to modem mode, reseting the duma (hard and software) we even reset my isp router incase that was the issue)

When i first got the duma i was pissed at the speed, 120mbit is slow for me as im used to 200mbit, the devs came through and on 1.03.5j with turbo mode and super turbo mode enabled the speed was back up to the proper speed (it dipped slightly)
The wifi is terriable so i brought a wifi access point with gigabyte ports and got my wifi back up to near what it should be (still slower then it is on the isp router)

at this point i was ok with the duma, it cost a lot more then it should of done....WAY more, but it worked. I even defended the team on shout box the other day, as at the time i thought all was well.

then last night when it went down it ment i did a 9 hour shift with no access to my stored media (as a night guard that can be pretty nasty, thankfully for most of the shift i was too busy for it to be an issue but the last 3 hours were a pain, thank god for youtube, though theres only so many cat videos you can watch while keeping sane) i get home to play my new battlefront game on the ps4.... thinking the media issue was the pi had failed, ill just reboot it...but nope the duma had royally screwed up and it took 2 hours of tech call to realise it was the duma and to get it resolved..... now i work long hours, i value my time way more then my money (hell sat here typing this up is wasting what little time i have before work but it needs to be said, the issues need to be reported so the duma devs can fix them and they need to be on record, searchable for people that may face the same issue) so that is why last night i was very pissed....im still annoyed, im still debating sending it back and i can not trust this device to be my main router, not to mention that spark when plugging in the power cable should not of happened!
If i can get the router to allow me to change the settings in the misc part and it keeps the settings i will use it again for the xbox and ps4, if i cant then its going back to the net duma people, i am pretty much at my max tolerance for this device, as a game only router i see its apeal but for all other stuff its really bad (had thought that over time it may evolve into a real router but these issues no)

Last night i even checked the dd-wrt firmware site to see if i could install proper firmware on it, nope.....and to be fair the hardware in the router is sub par anyway.

so two questions:

1) how do i get it to save the settngs in misc (turbo etc)
or
2) how do i return the defective device for a refund.

*edit* the device page is showing the default speed settings even though i changed them in the router setup, click edit and change them again and they default...so thats not saving settings either... and its not showing the ps4 which is connected into it, it shows my laptop though...the ps4 is connected and has an ip from the dumas range so should show up....ofcourse with the duma not seeing it i cant do the host filtering, rendering the last functional part of the router redundent .....yeah im leaning towards 2, how do i send this crud back, sorry i have had enough

I've had the spark, don't worry about that, we would spark if we were connected to a large + & -   :)

Just because you pay for 200Mbit internet and it dipped doesn't mean it was the Netduma's fault ?

If you believe anything Virgin Media say then you would believe anything, I've been with them 11 years and worked for them for about 4-5 yrs and they are one of the biggest bunch of snides going.

The Netduma wifi is excellent, even better than the Virgin Super Hub 2ac. It reaches alot further & thats a fact.

If you want the settings in Misc to save, adjust what needs doing then reboot the Netduma from Settings> Miscellaneous. Never pull the lead out of the back otherwise the settings will go back to the default setting it was before.

What time did you call Virgin media ? Between 2 & 4 am ?

I've had the spark, don't worry about that, we would spark if we were connected to a large + & -   :)

Just because you pay for 200Mbit internet and it dipped doesn't mean it was the Netduma's fault ?

If you believe anything Virgin Media say then you would believe anything, I've been with them 11 years and worked for them for about 4-5 yrs and they are one of the biggest bunch of snides going.

The Netduma wifi is excellent, even better than the Virgin Super Hub 2ac. It reaches alot further & thats a fact.

If you want the settings in Misc to save, adjust what needs doing then reboot the Netduma from Settings> Miscellaneous. Never pull the lead out of the back otherwise the settings will go back to the default setting it was before.

What time did you call Virgin media ? Between 2 & 4 am ?

the wifi is very slow, like 40 when it should (and is with the super hub) be 200

its was 1 am and the chap​ I spoke to was very helpful and certainly knew his stuff

back to the fiasco

I decided sod it lets get this sorted, so I reflashed the firmware...well I tried to, it froze, then reset and pow no access on 192.168.88.1! after some gogling i found the guide on how to fix the router when its bricked, however following the guide hasn't helped, though has added another symptom, the router now beeps, as it always has, then after a few seconds double beeps....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I give up

Ok invested too much to fully give up, how do i fix this new issue, at work at the minute just want to know for when I get home.

So condensed version.

Router would not save settings

Reflashed firmware only it froze, left it frozen and it reset but then couldn't access 192.168.88.1

After Google searching this would appear to be "bricked" another search took me to how to unbrick it

Did that but now still can't access 192.168.88.1 and now it beeps once as usual but after 30 seconds it beeps twice

• Netduma Staff

Ok invested too much to fully give up, how do i fix this new issue, at work at the minute just want to know for when I get home.

So condensed version.

Router would not save settings

Reflashed firmware only it froze, left it frozen and it reset but then couldn't access 192.168.88.1

After Google searching this would appear to be "bricked" another search took me to how to unbrick it

Did that but now still can't access 192.168.88.1 and now it beeps once as usual but after 30 seconds it beeps twice

How did you reflash and unbrick it?

How did you reflash and unbrick it?

sorry for the delay, work has been ....well there was an incident i cant go into and it made for a very unpleasent shift.

right to reflash i went into the upgrade settings, advanced, and did it that way with the same firmware file that was sent to me Iain (1.03.5j) it seemed to stop doing anything so i left it, after a long time it beeped and i couldnt access the page (or internet or anything)

so back on my isp router i looked up the make and model of the router and how to unbrick/fix, i cant tell you the exact guide i followed as honestly i cant remember, it was from the official site though.

lets see if i can remember

i had to load thier recovery tool "netinstall" (still have that)

then had to change the ip settings of my laptop (cant remeber what to)

then had to hold down the reset button while booting and wait for an extra beep, then release

the router appeared in the list

then i had to install the boot os for the router model (routeros-mipsbe-6.33.npk )

the next step should of been going to the settings page of the routers core os and choosing the netduma software file to install the software ....but here is where im stuck as that page does not load up and instead i get teh double beeps.

Im back to the whole, just send it back while im still entitled to a refund, im not sure even if we fix it i can trust the router, too many issues too much agro, this is something i need to sleep on (yes i know i have to cover the shipping cost back and wont get the shipping cost refunded only the router cost, but right now this thing has been the cause of nothing but grief)

• Netduma Staff

sorry for the delay, work has been ....well there was an incident i cant go into and it made for a very unpleasent shift.

right to reflash i went into the upgrade settings, advanced, and did it that way with the same firmware file that was sent to me Iain (1.03.5j) it seemed to stop doing anything so i left it, after a long time it beeped and i couldnt access the page (or internet or anything)

so back on my isp router i looked up the make and model of the router and how to unbrick/fix, i cant tell you the exact guide i followed as honestly i cant remember, it was from the official site though.

lets see if i can remember

i had to load thier recovery tool "netinstall" (still have that)

then had to change the ip settings of my laptop (cant remeber what to)

then had to hold down the reset button while booting and wait for an extra beep, then release

the router appeared in the list

then i had to install the boot os for the router model (routeros-mipsbe-6.33.npk )

the next step should of been going to the settings page of the routers core os and choosing the netduma software file to install the software ....but here is where im stuck as that page does not load up and instead i get teh double beeps.

Im back to the whole, just send it back while im still entitled to a refund, im not sure even if we fix it i can trust the router, too many issues too much agro, this is something i need to sleep on (yes i know i have to cover the shipping cost back and wont get the shipping cost refunded only the router cost, but right now this thing has been the cause of nothing but grief)

Pretty sure that you've bricked it. Fraser will have to help you out with this.

I figured it had bricked itself when it reset during the firmware update. Thats why I hunted for the un brick guide which I followed to the letter, man I hate this device.

This can now be closed as the device is being returned.

Archived