ToughMudder

abc123

I have done Tough Madden, Rugged Maniac, Gladiator Dash, Spartan and about every Color run you can imagine multiple times. My advice is to make sure you are running on a consistent basis, so this event isn't the first time exercising. My sister in law tried that. Also pace yourself and know your limits, don't try and keep up with everyone if you can't. Every race is the same, everyone takes off really fast only to walk the rest. Most of all have fun, that's what it's really about.

Wow, that is quite the undertaking if you haven't seen one before, but I suspect you have done your research.  We worked the Tough Mudder here two summers ago as part of our work with WWP.  Here was the course and description.  http://www.mudrunguide.com/event/washington-tough-mudder-2013/2013-10-05/

First off, the "race" aspect is more or less only for those crazies that care about their time.  While there were the usual chiseled, gym rats who blasted through the course and then had the arrogance to do pull ups and push up challenges in the beer garden...  :rolleyes:  Most of the people were normal, working types who wanted the challenge and to say they did it.  There were way more "normal" people who you wouldn't guess were "active" in their daily lives who came and fought through as best they could.

Injuries?  Yes, there were some nasty ones.  The worst one I saw personally was a girl who ran into their version of the warped wall and lost a couple of her front teeth.  That one was bloody and brutal.  Lots of sprains, ankles and knees.  There weren't any medical air lifts that year, but supposedly it's not uncommon. 

I would honestly suggest a pair those lace up ankle supports that I saw a lot of the more serious competitors using.  I think they are common for mat wrestling.  Also, I can't stress this enough, you HAVE to be able to climb things!  LOL  I can't count the number of people I saw wear themselves out trying to climb an obstacle, only to give up and walk around it after 4 or 5 hard tries.  

The coolest thing was seeing the camaraderie between all those who were "competing".  People would get past an obstacle, only to stop and cheer on others who were having trouble.  One guy, who ran the course complete, went back to a couple of the harder obstacles and just coached people to help them get through.  

I wish you the best of luck abc - I suspect it will be an unbelievable feeling when you cross that finish line and get your headband.

waterproof iPhone case...go pro linked to iPhone streaming to twitch...

make sure to put the geo-filter image into the footage, i want to see from which region the host of this event is and from where all other participants "connect" from ;)

I ran one last year and I'm going to do it again this year. I'm no gym rat. At the beginning of the year I was about 30 lbs overweight with high blood pressure.  Doc wanted to put me on meds.  I'm 37, which doesn't sound nearly as old today as it did 10 years ago...but I digress.

I guess my point is that it doesn't take much to get yourself ready. My gym rat brother bought me P90X 3 so I started that at the beginning of the year.  I also fixed my diet.  Well, I kind of fixed my diet, strict paleo all week/beer and pizza all weekend. I also ran about 3 times a week for the last two months leading up to the event. My goal was able to go 5 miles without resting by the time I ran the  mudder.  It was more than enough preparation.  There's plenty of time to rest as you wait your turn for the obstacles. 

It was a great event and I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I also lost about 25 lbs and blood pressure is back to normal. 

Archived