Upgrading internet - anything I should be aware of?

So fibre optic internet has finally been enabled in my area and the engineer is arriving next Tuesday. 

According to the BT line checker, the FTTC Clean line should give me speeds of around 80 download and 20 upload. I'm currently on an 18.5mbit line giving 16/2 (ish).

Right now I am using and have always been running the Netduma from my ASUS Modem/Router (in DMZ) but it sounds like that will be replaced when the engineer installs the new line and the BT Open reach modem. 

I have the router from my ISP just to play it safe but honestly, I will be hoping to run the Openreach modem to the Netduma so with that being said, is there anything I should be aware of?

Any changes I need to make in the settings once the installation has been complete, setup changes etc. 

• Netduma Staff

You'll need to change the settings to make sure you get the new, faster speeds. You can do that by following the instructions here.

I think you will also need to use PPoE to use the modem. If you do, the username is @btbroadband.com and password is blank. You can enter those details in Settings >> WAN. You won't need to DMZ anymore because you are connected to a modem.

Who is your ISP going to be? Not many are still giving out the modems now as they are giving out various router / modem combos (Home Hub 5 etc).

Very true, companys were sick of BT charging them so much for the modems that they send out their own combo devices (10 a penny crap) ahead of time to keep costs down.

Who is your ISP going to be? Not many are still giving out the modems now as they are giving out various router / modem combos (Home Hub 5 etc).

ISP is and will continue to be Plusnet. Double checked it after your comment and yes, the BT engineer will bring the open reach modem. Router can be Plusnet's or something else that will support the speeds, so the Netduma for me. 

Archived