Possible new feature

Is it possible, instead of the host saying x amount of miles away, for it to say what city they are actually in then the distance? And when selecting your home location for names to pop up as you hover over the map for pin point accuracy so to speak

Hi Ian - I am sure it's possible, but to understand the gravity of what you are asking, please realize they would have to map every single significant city on the globe as they have routers on at least 5 of the continents now.  :P

When we started (I got my December last year), all we had was an outline of the US/Canada/Mexico and we had to guesstimate the state where the servers were located....LOL

Duma_Iain and the boys are working on a big release right now, so I know their attention if firmly focused there, but this might be something to add to the backlog. ;)

Hi Ian - I am sure it's possible, but to understand the gravity of what you are asking, please realize they would have to map every single significant city on the globe as they have routers on at least 5 of the continents now.  :P

When we started (I got my December last year), all we had was an outline of the US/Canada/Mexico and we had to guesstimate the state where the servers were located....LOL

Duma_Iain and the boys are working on a big release right now, so I know their attention if firmly focused there, but this might be something to add to the backlog. ;)

actually I can add this to my app, it will make it slower (the call to get the lat,lng of a city is called geo-coding, so in this case we want reverse geo-coding).  I'll be making an internet API call to get this city information this means that you'll have a ~100ms delay on fetching this info....

Not huge but just thought I should tell you the negative.  I think if they added it to the JavaScript side so that your client (PC/Tablet) was the one doing the reverse geo-coding it would be fine but it can't be happening on the router IMO as this takes up previous CPU cycles 

Yeah I suppose that would be a task dillinger haha.. I'm looking forward to seeing what new features come with the next release.. I'm really happy with the duma I can't believe I haven't discovered it before now.. If it wasn't for a YouTube called drift0r doing a review on it I'd of never known haha

• Netduma Staff

Is it possible, instead of the host saying x amount of miles away, for it to say what city they are actually in then the distance? And when selecting your home location for names to pop up as you hover over the map for pin point accuracy so to speak

It's actually already on the ticket system for the map to show the country name. You can see the ticket here :) I've also added a comment onto the ticket to see if the country name can be added to the host descriptor box and also if it can be as detailed as having the city names too.

• Netduma Staff

IP's do not show your real location but where your ISP is based usually, so no pin point accuracy could be done anyhow.

Mine shows the location scarily close to where I actually am now lol - but for most I think you're right. For places like the US I assume it is generally more accurate in terms of the correct state/city as it is a bigger place :)

• Administrators

Just to add to this, in terms of setting your home location, it doesn't need to be super accurate, in fact sometimes we recommend actually moving your home location away from where you live to get better games in some cases.

Problem is, if my home location isn't correct, and I set my filter to say.. 500miles, I can't play with my mate that live near me.. The other night it wouldn't let my friend join who was 2miles down the road. So I had to look at the map to pinpoint Newcastle-upon-Tyne and compare it to the geo

• Netduma Staff

Problem is, if my home location isn't correct, and I set my filter to say.. 500miles, I can't play with my mate that live near me.. The other night it wouldn't let my friend join who was 2miles down the road. So I had to look at the map to pinpoint Newcastle-upon-Tyne and compare it to the geo

You can click on his circle then add him to your allowed list so that you can play with him even if he is outside the range of your GeoFilter :)

Archived